August 30, 2014, 06:11:26 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: spider crabs  (Read 56561 times)
chickweed

« on: August 16, 2005, 02:23:39 AM »

why or why not?   can you eat spider crabs?  The one's in the Long Island NY area?   Seriously.....I really want an answer.
beach bum

Size matters

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 11:00:21 AM »

I've only caught one spider crab and there was no way I'd try to eat it.

Crabin' - Probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Avalonjohn44

http://libertarianbass.blogspot.com/

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 07:57:34 AM »

The spider crabs that I've seen look anything but edible, although they do resemble the Opilia crab (snow crab).  I thought I had read or heard that they were related species (and not just because they're both crabs for any smart alecs...Wink ), although I can't find any links.  I wouldn't try eating them.

Too many of us think only shallowly of Freedom and Liberty. True Freedom isn\'t what or how many tattoos or piercings to get. Liberty is not found in laws, regulations or statutes. Government can never give you freedom-it can only find ways to limit it. Government Tyranny is the only thing that will reeducate us on the lessons of Freedom and Liberty. The results of the '08 election are now the beginning of our lesson.
CrabstaDude
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 08:03:15 AM »

spider crabs creep me out.. about a month ago, was in Sea Isle on a boat. wife pulled up a trap and in it were 3 gross looking big spider crabs attacking the chicken... at first, i'm saying WTF is this then realized they were alien crabs. hate em..
SpunkyCrab

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 08:34:50 AM »

I think they're gross too, but I think people eat them..especially in Europe. 

Is the "European Spider Crab" different than what we're used to? Because I found a that talks about commercial spider crab fisheries and how people in NJ have been consuming them "for many years."   http://www2.hawaii.edu/~carlm/spider.html#exploit 

There are several restaurants in Europe and South America with spider crab on the menu, including a restaurant in London that serves "spider crab fettuccine!"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/back_to_basics/shellfish.shtml#crab

...But I have to re-emphasize that I'm not sure whether or not the spider crabs we catch in LI are the same as the ones these people are eating...can anyone else enlighten us?

chickweed

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 11:21:29 PM »

I think they are really gross looking too. I also read that in some far away land, they are eaten.   No one has said they are poisonous....I think they are probably pretty similar to the popular menu type crabs, but no one has admitted actually eating them....they really are creepy.   

But what if they are really tasty?  There wouldn't be much competition for those who keep the secret and enjoy them.   Is there anyone out there who is willing to cook one up and report back to us?
Notice, I am not volunteering....lol.
SpunkyCrab

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 08:59:35 AM »

If I'm ever in Europe or Chile....and spider crab is on the menu, I'll be sure to order it and report back.  Grin I'm not sure if I'd try the ones from NJ, it hits a little too close to home.  At least if I'm abroad I can pretend I'm eating something "exotic."   laugh
Infish

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 09:02:54 AM »

...people in NJ have been consuming them "for many years."   http://www2.hawaii.edu/~carlm/spider.html#exploit 

Hey go easy on us folks from NEW Jersey, we wouldn't eat those ugly things Smiley

People on the Isle of Jersey a UK territory off the coast of France are the ones eating them.  The European Spider Crabs (Maja squinado) are a close relative to the Spider Crabs found on the US East Coast (Libinia emarginata).

Both Spider Crabs are considered edible but I'm not going to volunteer. Tongue
SpunkyCrab

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 12:08:34 PM »

sorry if you misread my post, but i was using " " to quote a statement in the article saying folks in NJ have been consuming the spider crab "for many years"...which came as quite a surprise to me because i'm FROM new jersey..lived there for 99.9% of my life.  so please don't think i was trying to knock anyone!

i thought it was interesting b/c i've never seen a commercial spider crab fishery during my travels, and i didn't even know they existed in our state!

thanks for the insight on the different types of spider crab, by the way.  i'm always looking for something new to eat...guess i'll be the guinea pig.  provided i make it to europe or chile  Wink
F.I.sherman

Is bin laden still enjoying his bahama's vacation?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 12:25:59 PM »

yes i do believe people eat them.they are i believe the same type caught out on the bearing sea.you have the king crab,then the snow crab,and then them.
i also believe food lion sells them whenever they have a crab leg sale.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin
SpunkyCrab

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 02:28:44 PM »

have you tried them?  is the taste the same? 
CSKIFF517

I Heart Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 10:38:01 AM »

Guys if you havent tried spider crabs you are missing out.  I know that sounds crazy and i thought the same thing at first when my buddy told me that.  In the Florida Keys we would dive the bridges specifically for spider crab claws.  They look really scary and dangerous, but their claws are just a bluff.  Pull the claws off and let them go.  They grow back fast and then you can harvest them again.  Im telling you they are the most delicous crab claws ive ever had.  some are so big and meaty.   I like them better than stone crab claws.  And the best thing is, no one knows about it and no one else takes them.  Ive never had any from NY or NJ, but from the look of the picture they are the same.   Try them out, you wont be disappointed.
J
chickweed

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 01:15:19 AM »

I would like to suggest, b4 anyone does something crazy (like EAT!!!) a spider crab, we make sure we are all on the same page. What Long Islander's call spider crabs may be totally different from what people in Florida call spider crabs.  Post pics if you say they are tasty,so we here on long island can be sure we are talking about the same thing.
chickweed

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2005, 01:25:51 AM »

this is the spider crab i am refering to. is that the same crab you eat in florida? lipsrsealed2 drummer
beach bum

Size matters

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2005, 09:58:04 AM »

Yeah, that kinda looks like the one I caught but you can't see the face in that picture. I was surprised to see a "snout' or nose on the one I caught. We need a volunteer to eat one, where's Mikey?

Crabin' - Probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2005, 11:26:17 AM »

sorry if you misread my post, but i was using " " to quote a statement in the article saying folks in NJ have been consuming the spider crab "for many years"...which came as quite a surprise to me because i'm FROM new jersey..lived there for 99.9% of my life.  so please don't think i was trying to knock anyone!

i thought it was interesting b/c i've never seen a commercial spider crab fishery during my travels, and i didn't even know they existed in our state!

thanks for the insight on the different types of spider crab, by the way.  i'm always looking for something new to eat...guess i'll be the guinea pig.  provided i make it to europe or chile  Wink

Must be those people that look like they are walking on 4 legs. I wouldn't eat that but there are some people out there that probably would. Roll Eyes All I know is you see them when there are no Blueclaws around, when the Blues are in they are gone. You see alot of Spider crabs there aren't many Blueclaws in the area and it's a crappy season. Wink

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
rivercrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2005, 11:46:00 AM »

They look like Ticks.... Start calling them water ticks. They arent crabs......
CSKIFF517

I Heart Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2005, 01:38:12 PM »

Yes those are one in the same.  Ill have to dig into my old fishing pictures to see if i have any.  Thing is you only take the their two front claws.  i would never eat it like you would eat a blue crab.   Yank the claws off and let the crab go.  yummy!!!
J
F.I.sherman

Is bin laden still enjoying his bahama's vacation?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2005, 05:08:28 AM »

you know they probably look aweful,but they look exactly like king crab.after you take the shell off cut the breasts in half(like you see them served in seafood houses and the seafood section in your supermarket,many people have probably aten these things and haven't even noticed because the shell is gone.i think the ugliest of those things would be the stone crab or the king crab.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin
CSKIFF517

I Heart Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2005, 08:36:07 AM »

I found some fishing pictures, but like I said, we only take the front two claws so thats all the pictures show. 
J
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2005, 09:00:59 AM »

ok
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 12:28:24 AM by mdjohn » Logged
CSKIFF517

I Heart Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2005, 02:10:15 PM »

Yes that is true.  When we catch stone crabs you only take one, but spider crabs dont use their claws to defend themselves.  Their main defense is camoflauge but attaching seaweed and junk to their carapace.  They also dont use them to catch food.  They feed on dead fish and non moving animals.  They do use them for tearing apart food, but can grab and eat food without them.  I have seen the same crab in the same spot after i took both claws though.  It was obvious it was him because of the piece of dorito bag he had stuck on him. 
I think the crab probably has a better chance of surviving without his claws then without his head.
Avalonjohn44

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2005, 01:53:36 PM »

Folks, I go back up to Avalon NJ on Labor Day.  I always catch a few Spiders in Paddy's Hole in the ICW, and will try steaming one up (seperately from my other crabs...) and report back.  If you get no report a week after labor day, assume I am dead and spider crabs are poisonous.  Grin

Too many of us think only shallowly of Freedom and Liberty. True Freedom isn\'t what or how many tattoos or piercings to get. Liberty is not found in laws, regulations or statutes. Government can never give you freedom-it can only find ways to limit it. Government Tyranny is the only thing that will reeducate us on the lessons of Freedom and Liberty. The results of the '08 election are now the beginning of our lesson.
Tuarus

WOW CRABS! WHAT COULD BE BETTER OH YEAH MORE CRABS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2005, 01:57:31 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh  WE'LL PRAY FOR U. angel2

New Britain, CT
SpunkyCrab

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2005, 03:49:24 PM »

Good luck Avalonjohn44!  I'll be watching for your post.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home