April 17, 2014, 02:42:09 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: finally...  (Read 7143 times)
eelfisher

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2003, 07:08:31 PM »

took my first fishin trip today. the boy was itchin to go, and it was beautiful out. got a few perch and a decent cattie. only thing missin was the crab lines over the sides of the boat.  Cry

herrin about to run. they'll keep my mind off of crabs until its time.

just felt good to be out!  anyone else doin anything?
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2003, 03:26:03 PM »

Nothing much happening but what size cat did you get?  That's one of my favorite eatin' fishes.......

Kodi
eelfisher

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2003, 09:22:27 PM »

kodi, the cat wasnt too big, only about a pound.
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 07:28:42 AM »

Did you ever hear about a sport called "noodling?"  It's where guys reach up under the bank of a river or into a big old log and feel around for a big channel cat.  When it clamps onto your hand you hold onto his lip and do your best to haul it out.  Usually you have a buddy with you to pull you up if the cat is too big.

Of course you gotta hope that it's not a big snapping turtle in there though.

I know it sounds weird but I read about it in Outdoor Life and you can do a web search on it to find out more.

I think I'll pass on that particular style of fishing.

Kodi
NJ Grasshopper

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2003, 08:17:55 AM »

Yep ---- thats real ...... I saw a TV documentary describing it in the South. Not too many 'fishermen' still do it.
waterman4456

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2003, 01:36:43 PM »

Saw it on TV too those guys seem fearless. It would take a many can of liquid courage for me to go noodling.
Linda P.

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2003, 03:33:19 PM »

I'm from Delaware, but love Maryland crabs, there is no comparison.  We crab on the Wye, usually in the afternoons when the parking is not too bad..  Six or seven of  the big guys would taste really good right now.   No one ever talks about Delaware bay crabs.  Any takers..    Lips Sealed  Sounds like a lot of crabbin' fever out there. Wink
De crabber

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2003, 07:16:42 PM »

:)Im from slower lower delaware and there is know comparison to maryland crabs..But ill tell u i havent had to much luck in maryland lately..Well in the past 2 years anyway..and having to fight all the people is a mess..But ill tell u even with know crabs the view is great and the water is so nice and clear compaired to de bay or indian river ive found a little spot here in de that good..But like u said its not the big boys and maryland crabs r SO SWEET  UM UM Thanks Mark Grin
eelfisher

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2003, 08:42:22 PM »

yeah, kodi, i seen it on tv before. imagine grabbin on one of those nasty snappers? i think i'd pass on that one. those guys are hard core!

linda p, welcome to the site. crabbin fever is runnin wild about now! i think i can speak for everyone! Grin
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2003, 06:46:49 AM »

I don't think you'd be holding onto a big snapper all that long.  I read that even a big cat can break finger bones if your hand is not in the right position.

A big snapper would probably take a finger off.  It's said that a missing finger or two is quite common among long time noodlers.  

There ain't enough liquid courage to get me to do that.

Kodi
Steve
Steve Zinski
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2003, 08:14:31 AM »

Check out this article on "noodling"  Shocked

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/general/columns/sutton_keith/1336494.html

This forum is a member-supported public resource. Please help by becoming a Supporting Member today.
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2003, 02:53:27 PM »

Yep, that's it.  I've often thought of running with the bulls while I can still run fairly well.  But I ain't NEVER thought seriously of noodling.

Good article Steve!

Kodi
Crabbyboy

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2003, 08:22:36 PM »

One or two fingers mising huh...not bad :: Wink...... are you kidding they must be CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!
Darrell

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2003, 09:16:28 PM »

Noodeling.. Theres another name for it too. its practiced or was down south in Arkansas. I read about it many years ago in a fishing guide. Those fellows really know there business about catching cats to do that.. To tell the truth I thought , if a movie was made showing how they catch them as they do..a lot of fellows like Saddam  and Kim Jung Ill, might not want to be messing with the American people!
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2003, 06:58:43 AM »

Darrell, now THAT is a good thought.  Maybe they should put it on the news!

Kodi
cw4340

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2003, 02:50:31 PM »

i feel like i lost a couple fingers to them big jams most days let alone playin with snappin turtles  (big jams) south jersey slang fur giant jimmies Cool Cool Cool Cool
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2003, 07:11:14 PM »

I buy 'em live and steam them up myself.  Usually I pride myself on handling them without tongs.  About 4 months ago I had a batch of big ones and maybe had a beer or two too much and was putting them in the pot.

Zigged when I shouda zagged......OUCH!!!!!  One got me and the tip of my finger was numb for 2 weeks.  Learnt my lesson.....until the next beer.

Kodi
eelfisher

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2003, 11:11:09 PM »

aahhhhh.......beeeerrrr..... Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2003, 07:05:30 AM »

Yes, beer indeed.  One day I'll tell you all the story about the beer(s), the firewood, the axe, and my big toe.  NOT pretty.

"I'd kill everyone in this room for one drop of sweet, sweet beer."---Homer Simpson

Kodi
eelfisher

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2003, 06:18:38 PM »

yeah,kodi. someday i'll tell y'all about the beer, cookin the pig, stayin up all nite, and blowin the motor up in my truck!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

but enough about me, c'mon...lets hear your story!!
cw4340

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2003, 07:38:37 PM »

Grin Grin Grin ;Dboth these storys sound like they could take away some crabbinfever lets hearem and meber this is a family channel Grin
eelfisher

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2003, 10:59:41 PM »

alright, cw, since you asked....

this is what us rednecks did for fun 14 yrs ago...

every september, my uncle would have a pig roast, using one of his own pigs. we'd slaughter and clean it on a friday, and begin to cook it that nite. we would have to stay around and tend to the cooking pig, so we would stay up all nite drinkin and partyin Grin
   we got the pig cookin, and decided to check out the drag racin they had on the back road. lotsa cars and lotsa fun. cops showed up and we split real fast. Grin
   got back to the house with my cousin and some of his buddies around midnite. decided to decimate my uncles back yard with these homemaid "bombs".  took an empty 2 liter bottle, put some muriatic acid in it, crumbled up some tinfoil and put it in the bottle. closed the lid real fast, put the bottle in the middle of the yard, and stood back. watched that bottle grow like a [dang] beanstalk, and when it finally burst, must of went a hundred feet in the air  Grin needless to say, after a few of these, his yard was covered with acid!
   uncle put a stop to that once he realized acid wasnt good for the grass.
   the nite was draggin on, we were all gettin drunk, and most everyone left.  that left me, my buddy, my uncle, and my cousin sittin around the campfire. drank the most beer in my life that nite to date. started talkin about all the food we were gonna have the next day. all the talk of the hotdogs, burgers, corn, pork, and so on, started to make me a little queasy. turned my head and puked rite there next to the fire. we all laughed our asses off and i started right back to drinkin. i think i passed out after that.
   woke up to the sound of my buddys car takin off. uncle and cousin were passed out , one on the table and one one the ground. was cold as [Sam Hill], so i staggered to my truck to get some heat. i started it, and passed out with my foot on the gas pedal. sumbich must of been tached out till daybreak, because i remember waking up, very briefly, when it was light out  and seeing smoke coming out from under the hood. all those hours of it being revved up overheated the motor and the [dang] thing blew up!
   uncle woke to the sound of a honking horn. said he thought i was tryin to get his attention because i swallowed my tongue! he came over to investigate and saw me passed out  with my head leanin on the steerin wheel, making the horn blow. Grin
   later that day we found out that a guy that my uncle works with came over early that mornin to borrow a tool and saw me passed out in my truck with a blown engine, the grass all burnt up from all the acid, and my uncle and cousin passed out on the ground next to the burnt out campfire with frost all over them!!!!!  Shocked Shocked  he thought to himself, what a tough couple of sob's layin there covered with frost! Grin
   my truck sat there in his parkin lot all weekend. everyone who came to the pigroast had to walk by it. the burnt stench that surrounded it had people guessin. made me the laugh of the party!
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2003, 10:34:20 PM »

Eelfisher,

I don't think I can top that drinkin'/truck/pig story!!!  I've got some good ones but buddy that one tops mine!  Mine, however, might have more pain involved.

I'll tell you my toe story tomorrow!!

Kodi
eelfisher

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2003, 10:40:09 PM »

yeah, kodi yours sounds alittle painful!!! Sad Sad
Crabbyboy

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2003, 10:04:24 PM »

haha...thats funny Grin Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: