October 24, 2014, 12:05:02 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: all the crabbing spots i know in ny  (Read 9556 times)
crabeater

« on: August 31, 2006, 09:41:47 PM »

hi everyone, it's crabbing season again, the following are all the spots that i know of, they will be listed in a order from good to bad:

1: Silly Lilly Fishing Station: I've been going to Silly Lilly for about 2 years, and this spot never fails. If you're going crabbing at the dead-end pier, please pay attention to the tide table, you won't catch anything except seaweeds when it's low tide. My best score was catching 60 decent size blue claws with my friend within 1 hour or so, just kept throwing my crabbing cages with bunker and kept pulling after 2-3 minutes and everytime there would be 2-3 decent size ones. I prefer bunker over chicken legs since they smell hundred times worse than chicken legs. It would be charming if you get a rental boat from silly lilly and just drive far enough from the pier, anchor the boat and do your work there, you'll be amazed how many blue claws you can catch.

2. Bay Park: crabbing in bay park is a bit different from other spots, i personally prefer scooping the crabs at night. Again, high tide will alway bring you more crabs. Bring a flash light, make sure it's bright enough to see through the top water, and drive all the way down till you see the boat launch ramps, there should be 2 ramps if i remember correctly, walk onto the bridge right next to ramps and use your flash light to check the wood panels on the sides, usually that's where the crabs are resting and use your net to scoop them, it takes a few practice to get them if you never scoop the crabs before, but you will get it after a few tries. Unfortunately, bay park was polluted 2 years ago, not sure if it still is, but you will still catch crabs even if when it's polluted, just not sure if you can eat them though.

3: Captree State Park: Captree was a lengendary spot for crabbing when i first went there (maybe 5 years ago), blue claws were everywhere back then, it was an easy 50-60 per person within an hour and there used to have big stone crabs too. But today, captree is so empty comparing to what it used to have, if you still prefer captree, then go to the broadwalk where the boats are, you'd have much better luck there comparing the long broadwalk, or you can try the fishing pier past the boat launching ramp.

4: Field 10 Jones Beach: Field 10 was a decent spot for blue crabbing a few years ago, but i haven't been there for a long time, i heard there only has green crabs and spider crabs now, well don't take my words for it because i haven't been there in person recently.

5: Point Lookout fishing pier: If you're looking for green crabs for black fishing bait, point lookout is definitely the spot for it, the last time i went was 2 months ago with my crabbing cages, easy 100 decent size ones within 1 hour, but never saw any blue crabs at all. I heard if you get a rental boat from ted's or scotty's and drive it past the bridge, there has lots blue claws, but i never tried it because i was too busy fishing instead of crabbing, will give it a try next time and keep ya'll posted on this. Smiley

6: fishing pier in brooklyn: Geez, i forgot the name of that place, but i sure know how to get there, went there twice at night and saw tons of blue claw swimming on the top water, used my cage there but no luck at all, looked like the crabs never go down there and take the bait, but the ones who used the net were getting charming, the sizes were good too. but make sure your net is long enough since it's quite a distance from the rail to the water.

The above are all the places i can think of now, but i'm always looking for new places to try, if any of you guys want to know the details how to get to any of above spots, feel free to let me know. I'll be happy to share my spots and directions. oh well, good luck to all you crab hunters and will update more news when i get any.  Cheesy
jng

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 07:21:30 AM »

Thanks for posting this info.
I plan to go crabbing for the first time next weekend when visiting the inlaws.
Just a quick question, are these all free, public access areas?
crabeater

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 07:29:39 AM »

captree state park charges parking fee of $6, all others are free.
robo624

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 10:26:41 AM »

New to this forum, but appreciate the info... just started crabbing again, havn't done
it since i was a kid and still enjoy doing it and eating them..

Did Baypark 2 weeks ago, the tide was going out but did manage 15 crabs, only kept
8 decent size ones.

I have two questions that i get different answers on:

Is using a light at night legal? always heard it wasn't

Is there a size limit? I've been going by the 4 1/2 inch tip to tip

Tks
crabeater

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 10:32:15 AM »

Smiley using flash light is legal because one time two cops came by and they helped us to catch crabs and wished us good luck, and there's no size limit on crabs on long island, but do have a quantity limite which is 50 per person per day. good luck!
Fish4Fun

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 10:59:06 AM »

As of June 2006................... NYS law is 4.5" point to point.

Check DEC website.
dleeza

Crabby Patty Please!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 02:29:46 PM »

wow this is good stuff thank you..........
crabeater

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 03:58:59 AM »

As of June 2006................... NYS law is 4.5" point to point.

Check DEC website.

Yep, rules been changed this year and fish4fun is right, it's gotta be 4.5" point to point, sorry about the old rule.
crabbingny

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 11:37:43 PM »

hi everyone, it's crabbing season again, the following are all the spots that i know of, they will be listed in a order from good to bad:

1: Silly Lilly Fishing Station: I've been going to Silly Lilly for about 2 years, and this spot never fails. If you're going crabbing at the dead-end pier, please pay attention to the tide table, you won't catch anything except seaweeds when it's low tide. My best score was catching 60 decent size blue claws with my friend within 1 hour or so, just kept throwing my crabbing cages with bunker and kept pulling after 2-3 minutes and everytime there would be 2-3 decent size ones. I prefer bunker over chicken legs since they smell hundred times worse than chicken legs. It would be charming if you get a rental boat from silly lilly and just drive far enough from the pier, anchor the boat and do your work there, you'll be amazed how many blue claws you can catch.

2. Bay Park: crabbing in bay park is a bit different from other spots, i personally prefer scooping the crabs at night. Again, high tide will alway bring you more crabs. Bring a flash light, make sure it's bright enough to see through the top water, and drive all the way down till you see the boat launch ramps, there should be 2 ramps if i remember correctly, walk onto the bridge right next to ramps and use your flash light to check the wood panels on the sides, usually that's where the crabs are resting and use your net to scoop them, it takes a few practice to get them if you never scoop the crabs before, but you will get it after a few tries. Unfortunately, bay park was polluted 2 years ago, not sure if it still is, but you will still catch crabs even if when it's polluted, just not sure if you can eat them though.

3: Captree State Park: Captree was a lengendary spot for crabbing when i first went there (maybe 5 years ago), blue claws were everywhere back then, it was an easy 50-60 per person within an hour and there used to have big stone crabs too. But today, captree is so empty comparing to what it used to have, if you still prefer captree, then go to the broadwalk where the boats are, you'd have much better luck there comparing the long broadwalk, or you can try the fishing pier past the boat launching ramp.

4: Field 10 Jones Beach: Field 10 was a decent spot for blue crabbing a few years ago, but i haven't been there for a long time, i heard there only has green crabs and spider crabs now, well don't take my words for it because i haven't been there in person recently.

5: Point Lookout fishing pier: If you're looking for green crabs for black fishing bait, point lookout is definitely the spot for it, the last time i went was 2 months ago with my crabbing cages, easy 100 decent size ones within 1 hour, but never saw any blue crabs at all. I heard if you get a rental boat from ted's or scotty's and drive it past the bridge, there has lots blue claws, but i never tried it because i was too busy fishing instead of crabbing, will give it a try next time and keep ya'll posted on this. Smiley

6: fishing pier in brooklyn: Geez, i forgot the name of that place, but i sure know how to get there, went there twice at night and saw tons of blue claw swimming on the top water, used my cage there but no luck at all, looked like the crabs never go down there and take the bait, but the ones who used the net were getting charming, the sizes were good too. but make sure your net is long enough since it's quite a distance from the rail to the water.

The above are all the places i can think of now, but i'm always looking for new places to try, if any of you guys want to know the details how to get to any of above spots, feel free to let me know. I'll be happy to share my spots and directions. oh well, good luck to all you crab hunters and will update more news when i get any.  Cheesy

The Fishing Pier in Brooklyn... could you please specify where it's around like the area or like how to get there??
ralphrepo

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 05:13:11 AM »

The Fishing Pier in Brooklyn... could you please specify where it's around like the area or like how to get there??

Despite this question being several years old, the answer remains relevant as the physical locations haven't changed.

There are two main fishing piers in Brooklyn; the first is the historically known Steeplechase Pier on the west end of Coney Island (Exit 6, Belt Parkway). It had been ravaged by 2012's Hurricane Sandy but had recently been fully renovated. The 1000 foot long pier sticks out pretty far into the water and its support trestles are of moderate height. This matters if one has a lot of traps as each 'pull' has to travel a much greater distance. While normally not an issue with the weight of one or two crabs, if the water is also loaded with sea weed, then the height one has to pull becomes very important. Steeplechase Pier also has the notoriety of having frolicking youths use the pier structure as an impromptu diving platform; during the summer the swimmers are out in force. Despite the presence of park employees this activity remains an ongoing problem. There are public facilities at the shore end, and ample parking just beneath the remnant structure of the Coney Island Parachute Ride.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/photo/events/coney_islands_steeplechase_pier_reopens/

The other well known Brooklyn fishing pier is Canarsie Pier (a part of Gateway National Park; Exit 13 Belt Parkway), and sits on the northwest corner of Jamaica Bay. It too had been damaged by Hurricane Sandy but had undergone completed repairs. Sadly, no suitable vendors were found to rehabilitate the defunct restaurant that had sat abandoned for more than a decade. It was finally reported (in December 2013), that the building was razed. There had been toilets in the Parks Department building but after Sandy they were closed and replaced with portable chemical toilets. My understanding was that the 'Port-A-Johns' were only supposed to have been a temporary measure but as of a few months ago they were still the only toilets available. The pier itself is basically a huge 350 car capacity parking lot mounted on piles that sticks out into the bay. Around the periphery of that humongous lot is a wide concrete walkway with benches and the whole structure is enclosed by steel railing. There is ample room to spread out picnic blankets and lawn chairs if one so desire, with one's vehicle parked pretty much right next to you.

http://www.nyharborparks.org/visit/capi.html

Another recent addition to the fishing shores of Brooklyn is Brooklyn Bridge Park's Pier 5 (there are several other piers but fishing and crabbing activity is only permitted on Pier 5).

http://www.brooklynbridgepark.org/  

Note: If one wants to crab in Brooklyn, or in and around New York City, one need be aware of the possible health risks in harvesting food from these waters. New York State's Department of Environmental Conservation had recommendations on their website (see link below), primarily for toxins and remnant industrial wastes, but one also has to be wary of Combined Sewer Overflow events (usually for several days after heavy rains or snows) in which massive amounts of untreated raw sewage is unpredictably but routinely released into the waterways.

http://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/outdoors/fish/health_advisories/regional/new_york_city.htm

Thank you and Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 05:24:18 AM by ralphrepo » Logged
king crab 48

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 05:20:46 AM »

Huh

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home