July 28, 2014, 10:34:19 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: where do crabs go in the winter?  (Read 3530 times)
fastswimmerCT

don't blame me, I voted for the old guy

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2006, 12:46:41 PM »

do they migrate or hibernate?  thanks.
nanjemoycat

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 12:49:41 PM »

Both.
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 02:33:31 PM »

To Fla. so I can catch them in the warm sunshine,  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
Islander
Lifetime Member

"Life is simple, its just not easy."

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 02:39:32 PM »

To Fla. so I can catch them in the warm sunshine, Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

thumbsup Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 08:35:25 PM »

wish i was in Fla.  Wink Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
fastswimmerCT

don't blame me, I voted for the old guy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 05:16:25 PM »

any links that can enlighten me on this?
masspi

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 08:39:27 PM »

Try Jet Blue.com  I hear that the fares are so low to Florida that the Mumbos are even getting a package deal this year...........they sure have left the Weweantic  Grin Grin Grin Grin
Crabbeer

Kwicherbichen and have fun, go crabbin!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 09:10:22 PM »

I'll give it a shot...

Based on my understanding, they move deep as the water cools.  The shallow water cools the quickest.  They will follow the warm water until the deep water gets too cold.  They then cover in mud.

This also coinsides with the reason why I believe Wye crabs are bigger then anywhere else.  The mouth of the Wye can't be blocked by pots in the beginning of the season because it is protected by Eastern Bay.  The deepest water around Easter Bay is the Wye.  So, all of the crabs looking to go deep in the fall to stay warm head to the Wye because it has the warmest water around. 

Make sense? 

Support our troops, make their home worthy of them.
LaEspion

Feelin' a little crabby?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 10:33:18 PM »

Hey Crabbeer:

You are pretty much on the mark.

According to "Beautifuk Swimmers" (The authority on Blue Crabs; plus I figure I would cite my source to prevent anyone from flaming me as if I am pretending to know anything about crabs!) As the water cools off, they eventually go to deeper water.  This is the same reason that you must lay your traps and trotline in progressivly deeper and warmer water as autumn gets longer in the tooth.  After they reach a certain point, they go into a sort of "restless hibernation".  During this time they bury into the mud and basically slow down until the water temp warms up again in the spring.  The only thing sticking out of the mud is their eyes.  In Virgina, they actually run dredges and dig these crabs up and harvest them.  We do not do this in Maryland though because you tend to get a lot of pregnant females doing that and you hurt the future population.

Hope this helps!

Chirs

Visit us @ www.NorthBayCharters.com for more information
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 10:36:59 PM »

Some people theorize that the Wye crabs are better because the Wye is kind of its own ecosystem due to the deep holes and main channel... the thought is that the crabs never really leave the river or migrate out... Huh

Git 'r dun!
LaEspion

Feelin' a little crabby?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 11:00:50 PM »

Interesting Seaweed - I din't know that!  Huh Shocked

Visit us @ www.NorthBayCharters.com for more information
mrscharms
Lifetime Member

I REALLY LOVE crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 11:07:32 PM »

I love that book, "Beautiful Swimmers"..if any of you haven't read it, you should!  And you can get a copy cheap on ebay!

Anyways...Crabbeer is right on the money.  When I lived in NJ, we would go down to the Belmar Pier every night and just net the crabs from the pilings...as the season got colder, we would look for them...sometimes the water was actually CLEAR and we could see them mudding down and he's right...you can just see their eyes peeking out of the mud..it was really interesting! 

Just don't mud down yet, jimmies...I have to get one more crabbing trip in this season!

Janice
kajuncrabber
Lifetime Member

No place like on the water fishing Blue Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 12:25:34 AM »

I know the south is somewhat different from the North, but from my past experiences it looks like the females look for moving current and channels to move to the coast to drop their eggs. It can be real cold but when that Norther ( cold front ) comes down and the current goes out she will make her move to the coast. Now as for the Male crabs he will stay behind and bury most of the time. We catch about the same amount of large male blue crabs after about a three day warm up, but in the same three days on the coast the female crabs are thick after the front. Now that is the life to sit, eat, and bury, and wait for young peeler crabs to come around when it warms. Now I am talking about lakes, and ponds with about five to eight feet of water and bayous with about ten to twelve feet. Wink Grin Grin

kajun Cool

Lets share the knowledge of Blue Crab fishing recreational or commercial and have a good ole time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home