April 21, 2014, 01:16:44 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many traps can you use in North Carolina..?  (Read 12483 times)
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2007, 09:06:43 AM »

I have tried to read through the regs for NC, and I have not been able to  find how many traps you can use.  Also do you need a license as a recreational crabber.   I hear they now have a salt water fishing license.  Heading down this june for the annual vacation and want to know in advance what I will need to crab.   I went last year and crabbed around collington area and caught piles of crabs but the were little.  caught 3 crabs that were 6 inches from a pier.  everyone there uses necks and string / handlines.  I threw out 6 traps and caught a lot, just little 2-3 inchers.  I was thinking of renting a skiff down by the causeway and trying to crab from a boat, but not sure if it would be worth it.  I assume running some traps in aboat I might do better / catch larger crabs.  Not worth me towing my duck boat all the way down.  Not sure of the regs as they don't say much about crabbing, more about fishing, Just want to be legal. 

thx

...............Cdog

MD / PA Line
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 09:24:58 AM »

ST,

I am heading down 6/2-6/9/07.  Got two cobia trips lined up with my favorite capt.  I saw 12 last year hooked 6 and landed 3.  lost a 60 lber at the boat after 45 minutes and that broke my heart.  they are just nasty junk yard dogs to catch.  we sight cast from a center console with a small tower with big bucktails and spinning rods with 20 lb braid.  it is like having a 50-60 lb largemouth bass exploded on your lure.  it is like hunting though.  you might get some you might not.  My first time I didn't even see a cobia.
second trip I saw 3 and they wouldn't chew.  third time was rocking.  I go that week as it is my wedding anniversary. and not crowded ...last week of spring rates, butt it usually 80-90 degrees down there.  Anyway, could reallly find any rules on number of traps vs pots etc. and don't know if you need a license etc.  last thing I need is a day at NC fish commision court.. as an out state chicken necker yankee.  as anyone north of VA is a yankee!   laugh

........Cdog

MD / PA Line
Crabpot Man
Lifetime Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »

From what I have been able to decipher if you are in coastal waters there is no license or trap limits. The saltwater fishing license is for finfish only. However, if you are in inland designated waters you need a  recreational special device license for three pots or less ($50 non-resident) or a comercial one ($200) for more than three traps. A whole different ballgame if you are planning to use crab pots.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

That's me... ^^

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 08:38:04 PM »

Don't forget there is now a added saltwater license needed and min size of Flounder is set at 14 1/2" now. Was 14" Before you know it, we'll be only allowed 1 fish 20" long. Oh forgot to mention that new size limit is for ocean side and 8 per day.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 01:57:41 PM »

So let me get this right.  I need a 50 dollar license to use 3 or less pots.  I assume traps are the same as pots.  what constitutes coastal vs inlands ( ocean vs sound? ) huh... ?  So i need a 50 rec license and can use 3 topless or box traps or pots.  I also need a saltwater fishing license to fish for flounder, trout etc.
Is it worth the drive down to lake mattamuskeet. about 2 hours. 

............Cdog

MD / PA Line
Crabpot Man
Lifetime Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 07:28:29 AM »

There is one typo in my original reply.

"you need a  recreational special device license for three pots or less " Should say "traps", not pots.

Sounds are coastal waters, inland would be rivers, lakes and streams.

Pots are commercial gear and require a different license.
Woodman

I Love Crabs and Fishing - 51 Pounder

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 12:22:03 PM »

ST,

I am heading down 6/2-6/9/07.  Got two cobia trips lined up with my favorite capt.  I saw 12 last year hooked 6 and landed 3.  lost a 60 lber at the boat after 45 minutes and that broke my heart.  they are just nasty junk yard dogs to catch.  we sight cast from a center console with a small tower with big bucktails and spinning rods with 20 lb braid.  it is like having a 50-60 lb largemouth bass exploded on your lure.  it is like hunting though.  you might get some you might not.  My first time I didn't even see a cobia.
second trip I saw 3 and they wouldn't chew.  third time was rocking.  I go that week as it is my wedding anniversary. and not crowded ...last week of spring rates, butt it usually 80-90 degrees down there.  Anyway, could reallly find any rules on number of traps vs pots etc. and don't know if you need a license etc.  last thing I need is a day at NC fish commision court.. as an out state chicken necker yankee.  as anyone north of VA is a yankee!   laugh

........Cdog

Cobia are an awsome fish to catch.  I caught this beauty after a 2 hour fight on 15 lb test.  72 pounder.  The other photo are two 60 pounder and a 30 pounder.  Who is your captain?  Arron Kelly of rock solid is and awsome captain. Grin
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 10:57:56 PM »

nICE.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 11:37:58 AM »

Cobia are an awsome fish to catch.  I caught this beauty after a 2 hour fight on 15 lb test.  72 pounder.  The other photo are two 60 pounder and a 30 pounder.  Who is your captain?  Arron Kelly of rock solid is and awsome captain. Grin

Howdy woodman,

Nice pics.  My capt's truck is right behind your picture.  Donnie Davis of DOA.  He and Aaron are partners I believe along wth Reese ( beach Bum charters ).  they started the whole small fleet inshore rockfish / cobia thing down there.  Never fished with Aaron, but I hear he is first class. Donnie is also first class and always have a good time with him regardless of the fishing.  He gets really jacked up to fish day in and day out. 

..Cdog

MD / PA Line
Wolfpack00

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 04:07:17 PM »

People above do not have a clue.

In NC to use more than 1 crab pot you need a "Recreational Commercial Gear Lisence."  It Cost $35 for residents and $250 for Non-residents.

With this lisence you may use 5 pots. 

Information can be found ant the NC Division of Marine Fisheries web site.

I know because I spent a night in jail for not having a current lisence.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

That's me... ^^

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 08:41:15 PM »

Doesn't mention hand activated traps (topless type). The 5 pot Recreational Commercial gear Lic is for Comm type pots, These type pots if set in the right spot say on Fri evening should produce enough crabs for a family by Sun morn.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
Crabpot Man
Lifetime Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 07:23:06 AM »

People above do not have a clue.

In NC to use more than 1 crab pot you need a "Recreational Commercial Gear Lisence."  It Cost $35 for residents and $250 for Non-residents.

With this lisence you may use 5 pots. 

Information can be found ant the NC Division of Marine Fisheries web site.

I know because I spent a night in jail for not having a current lisence.

The question was about TRAPS, not pots. Roll Eyes
nanjemoycat

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 09:05:32 AM »

That's about as clear as mud now.
obxguy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 03:36:42 PM »

ok, I just looked into this last week with the park service..a simple way to put it: with rings or traps no limit on number, dont need a license. If the crab can escape, as is the case with rings and the folding traps, it is considered chicken necking and dont need a license. To use the smaller 16" pots for rec use you need a rec license and, get this, pink buoys. Local license is $35, not sure on out of state. I think, but not sure, to use the larger commercial pots you might need a commercial license.
I'm waiting to go out kayak crabbing, planning on 8 rings with floats and about 4 traps. Tired of paying for crabs!
peteboy

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 12:32:30 PM »

OBXGUY, I hope your right. I'm coming down in July. Bringing 2 dozen topless traps. I couldnt find anything in the regs about traps though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home