August 20, 2014, 02:28:57 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to buy live crabs in Balt. area  (Read 6497 times)
Danny

« on: April 25, 2003, 10:02:58 AM »

Does anyone know where one can buy live crabs in Baltimore area ? It can be a dozen or 10 dozen, but where is agood price and location to buy crabs to take home and steam. I found places tat charge you $2 less adozen to buy live. That is no goood deal . HELP me out here fellows
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2003, 04:17:07 PM »

Danny, depending on where you live in Baltimore it may be a bit of a drive, but the Crab Galley in Odenton, Maryland has good crabs at good prices.  They are now open year-round, selling MD crabs in season and Gulf crabs at other times of the year.  They also have a good selection of other fresh seafood year-round.  Take the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (Route 295) south toward Washington, DC, past the BWI airport exit, to the Route 175 exits.  Take the SECOND Route 175 exit eastbound (e.g., first Route 175 exit is westbound; go under the Route 175 overpass before exiting). Continue eastbound on Route 175 for 2-3 miles, past Fort Meade, the Odenton Fire Department, and over the overpass for the MARC railroad, to the second light.  At this intersection, the left side is Telegraph Road (Route 170) and the right side is Piney Orchard Parkway. Turn right onto Piney Orchard Parkway to the next light.  Across this intersection on the right is a dry cleaners and in the same building is the Crab Galley.  Call ahead (410-923-2722) for their hours and crab prices.  Distance from Camden Yards area is about 12 miles.  
P.S., I have no affiliation with the Crab Galley.  I just buy and eat their crabs when I can't get out to catch my own. Grin

Crabpop

Severn, Md USA
jimb

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2003, 08:57:28 AM »

Crabpop,

I see that you have Severn, md at the bottom of your posts. Do you also crab the Severn river? I launch from Smith's marina and go towards the bridge. I'm hoping to start crabbing around the memorial day weekend.
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2003, 10:54:15 AM »

Jimb, yes, I do the Severn from Smith's Marina, but also the Chester River, Crab Alley, the Wye River  (but only on weekdays), and Curtis Bay/Curtis Creek.  Depends how much time I have and where the crabs are at any given time.  Just finished restoring a 16' Grumman aluminum boat, with new floor, carpeting, seats, and am waiting for my new 25HP Merc 4-stroke to be delivered.  With the increased range/speed, I'm looking forward to a productive crabbing season this year.  Just hope the crabs cooperate.

Crabpop

Severn, Md USA
Danny

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2003, 01:40:03 PM »

HEY CRABPOP !!!!!!!thanks a million for the tip on where to get good live crabs. In am heading there after work today. $60 for a half bushel of #1 males is a fair price today. They now have  MD. females. Let you know how they ran. Thanks again. Danny
jimb

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2003, 08:21:11 AM »

Crabpop,

Sounds like you are on the water quite a bit. When do you plan to get started?
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2003, 10:26:45 AM »

Jimb, I get out on the water as much as possible.  Plan on retiring end of this year, so am not opposed to working some half-days during the summer/fall months.
Got a couple kids -- one 7" (legal) who's a junior at UMBC and another 5" (almost legal) who will be entering UMBC this fall -- so will have enough $$ stowed away for their tuition by end of this year.  Life will be sweeeeeet thereafter and plan on being on the water so much that I might have to sprout gills to breath.   As Danny pointed out in a previous post, the Crab Galley is now selling MD females.  Must be getting them from the southern Bay as I can't imagine them being caught up here in our area.  Unfortunately, I doubt that we'll see any consistent recreational catches in our area for at least four or five weeks.  Just too much fresh water from precip entering the Bay and the cool temperatures aren't warming up the waters.  Now, we have a bright, sunny day outside today with temps expected in the low-70's.  Now, if this will continue for a few weeks we'll be all right.  However, Weather Channel says more rain/thunderstorms Tue, Wed, Thurs, so doesn't look good.  Undecided

Crabpop
« Last Edit: April 27, 2003, 05:43:06 PM by Crabpop » Logged

Severn, Md USA
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2003, 08:05:45 PM »

Yesterday I stopped with the wife at Crab Galley in Odenton.  My usual crab places were, once again, out of affordable crabs so I tried this one.  Bought 2 dozen and they were fat....not too big but fat.  Enjoyed them considering I haven't had any for almost 2 months!!!!

I can't wait for the warm weather and some Maryland blues to start running though.

Kodi
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2003, 08:55:02 PM »

Kodi, glad you enjoyed the crabs!  Now, if we can get the weather and, in turn, the crabs to cooperate, the absolute best crabs -- the one's you catch yourself -- will be on the table.

Crabpop

Severn, Md USA
Grumpy Vet

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2004, 09:52:53 PM »

I found this thread and bought crabs last weekend from the Crab Galley.  I ordered a bushel of large and jumbo mixed....to be picked up at their place last Saturday at 11:00 AM.

The Crab Galley is no 5 star place (the guy sweeping out the 6' x 6' customer waiting area kept sweeping me into a corner) and they were not super prompt....I walked out w/ my crabs at 11:20 AM.....however, the crabs were good.  We had only 2 bad ones in the whole bushel.  The price was reasonable....$205 for the mix bushel.  I think next time we will get a bushel of large for $185 - we didn't see many jumbos in the mix.....

Overall - I'm critical of crab places - this one was pretty good......but I'm still looking for the perfect one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home