September 30, 2014, 03:52:54 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbing Cape Hatteras  (Read 16733 times)
UbiquitousCrabbber

« on: April 29, 2003, 09:27:19 AM »

I am going to be heading down to Cape Hatteras end of May, and I was wondering if anyone here crabbed that area before? If so, any suggestions on locations or any other help you could provide?
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 03:51:50 PM »

UC, can't help you much with info on boat rentals, but there are a number of piers along the outerbanks that would be good for crabbing.  Some close during the off-season, but most, if not all, should be open by late-May.
I'd rig and take along some collapsible crab traps, for sure.

Crabpop

Severn, Md USA
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2003, 07:20:58 PM »

Crabpop,

Are those piers right on the ocean or on rivers that empty into it??  What size on the average do you catch there?

Kodi
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2003, 10:02:53 PM »

Kodi, I haven't been down there for several years, but the crabbing back then was great.  I seem to recall the pier fishermen complaining about the crabs stealing the bait off their hooks.  From the size of the crabs we caught they were obviously well fed. The piers that we went to were ocean-side, on the outerbanks.  There are also some piers on the mainland, but have never been to any of them.  Of course, the big thing down there is fishing and big ones to boot.  Guys that go deep sea fishing out of Ocean City, Md have to run out 50+ miles to the canyons and the Gulf Stream.  From the outer banks it's about a 10-15 minute run to the Gulf Stream.

Crabpop

Severn, Md USA
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2003, 07:27:47 AM »

Crabpop,

Thanks for the info.  I've never been there and have no plans to get there anytime soon but it sounds good.  Someday....

Kodi
Steve
Steve Zinski
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2003, 07:46:53 AM »

I don't think you'll catch any blue crabs on the ocean side of Hatteras. Yes, crabs do steal the bait from fishermen's hooks, but I believe it's a different species of crab.

Blue crabs are caught in abundance in the Pamlico Sound. Never been to Hatteras, but I've crabbed the Pamlico Sound up near Manteo (near Nags Head)... lots of blue crabs in the sound. You'll probably need a boat to get at 'em, though.

If you like shrimp, I've been told that you can take the ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke to Atlantic, NC (not to be confused with Atlantic Beach). Atlantic, NC is a shrimping town and you can buy a cooler full of head-on shrimp right off the boats! Talk about fresh!  Grin

This forum is a member-supported public resource. Please help by becoming a Supporting Member today.
UbiquitousCrabbber

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2003, 09:18:55 AM »

Thanks for the help guys. Steve, I think you are right about the piers and the Sound. I am pretty sure that the sound is fairly shallow along the shore, at least in the area that we will be staying (Avon, NC). I will try to get a boat. Upon my return, I will let you know how I made out, and will also provide any tips from the locals that I am able to gleen.
MacG

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2003, 04:09:55 AM »

I visit the Outer banks about twice a year, and I've waded along the shore with a dip net at the "Canadian Hole," popular with windsurfers, in Avon, and had a little success there, but never a fantastic day.  The best spot I've found for chicken necking is Collington Island, which is about a 45-60 minute ride north of Avon.  As far as I know, there's only one road onto the island, which is in the sound.  In any case, just go up 12 to the bypass, 158, and look for the sign for Collington.  You'll go over a short bridge, and there you are, with ample parking right along the end of the bridge.  There's also a fire station just a hundred yards or so down the road on the left.  Poor directions, I guess-- sorry, but it is easy to find.  
My best advice, I guess, is check with the locals.  I know there are a lot of small boat docks and such on the sound near avon, but most are private as far as I know.
And of course the best spot for chickenneckers is only open for crabbing one day a year-- the pond at the Peas Island Wildlife Refuge.  Last year I came away with some huge crabs, even though the place was predictably packed-- and I also scooped up a huge turtle that nearly broke my net- I saw the movement and scooped, and boy was I surprised when the net weighed ten pounds and I got snapped at!  
If anyone knows of good spots North of Collington Island, no boat required, please let me know.
Whit

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2003, 10:36:05 PM »

UbiquitousCrabbber

Let me know how you make out we are going to Corolla Outer banks
in mid June.
UbiquitousCrabbber

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2003, 09:01:42 AM »

MacG> Thanks for the info! You are right about the boat docks, most are private. I will definately give Collington a try. By the way, what day is the Peas Island pond open for crabbing/ Just wondering as I have never heard of it.

Whit> You got it. Anything and everything that I can bring to this board I will. Hopefully it will be helpful.
Mark in PA

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2003, 09:54:41 PM »

Hatteras is where we crab.  I have not visited this board in a year; wow, what changes!!

Anyway, we go to the Buxton area.  The crabbing in the sound has usually yielded smaller crabs.  In the old days, we used to drive down to the end of Hatteras Island (past the ferries) and crab at the tip (Hatteras Inlet).  That area has changed a lot in the last year and it may not be feasable.

Our old reliable spot is the pond out by the "point" in Buxton.  It holds numerous big crabs and fish as well.  Late last summer, the ocean broke though the sand to the pond, causing a lot of big fish to get into the pond.  Not sure what it did to the crabbing.  Much of the pond is off limits due to tern nesting.  Sometimes, around dusk, we used to wade the shallos with nets and pick up a bushel or so.  It hasn't been good for the last few years due to plant growth in the water, but that may have changed late last summer.

If you go near Avon, you can buy crabs a a little crab shop which is off the beaten path.  They are reasonable.  The shop (shack) is red with no real markings.  Turn towards the sound at the light in Avon next to the Texaco station.  Keep going and the road bends to the left.  Just before Avon Seafood (wholesale and retail), there is a red shack with a hand scrawled sign out front which says "crabs".  This is the spot.  You'll know you have the spot right if the owner has one eye.  Get there before noon.  The commercial truck will stop in around noon to pick up their catch.  You have to get there before then.

I'm wondering where in Hatteras you go.  I'd like to compare notes.
MacG

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2003, 01:11:18 AM »

Pea Island Crabbing                                   Pea Island Crabbing
I believe last summer the Pea Island pond was open on a Saturday in mid-June.  We got nearly a bushel fairly quickly.  As I recall, the water level was fairly low due to some dry weather.  

...A web search turned up only that it is indeed in June.  I'll bet you can call them and find out.  It must be scheduled by now.  Here's a link with more info, including phone and email: http://southeast.fws.gov/pubs/facts/pldcon.pdf
UbiquitousCrabbber

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2003, 08:43:46 AM »

Mark In PA> We get a house in Avon every other year or so. Thankfully, this is the year! the house we rent is behind WindJammers, just as you get into Avon. I am pretty sure that I know the red shack you are talkig about. I have never visited it, but I surely will this trip.

MacG> I will definately check out that link. Thanks for taking the time to try abd find out that date. I appreciate it.
eelfisher

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2003, 09:37:53 PM »

hey whit, you said you are going to corolla in june? we're going there the last week in august. never been there before. let us know how the crabbin is. Wink
Whit

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2003, 10:19:32 PM »

eelfisher,

Sure will, this will be our first year there also. My brother-in-law went down there last year he didn't crab but saw a lot of people catching small crabs.
mya

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2003, 07:04:34 PM »

we are planning to go crabbing in the end of august in north carolina. does anyone knows where we can go?? will there be any crabs availiable then? it's our first and i want to make it enjoyable for my grandparents. please post or email me. thank you!
mahoneynh

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2003, 09:41:17 AM »

I'm going to Corolla in a few weeks and want to know if you have any wisdom to pass on?  thanks
hockeynut17

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! CRABS!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2003, 05:27:29 PM »

;DI'm heading to Frisco, Cape Hatteras Island,NC in 2 weeks. Cant wait!!! Grin Grin  Any good  suggestions about where to go crabbing on the island? Or close by? Thanx for all info.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home