July 30, 2014, 03:11:54 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to crab in wildwood?  (Read 3116 times)
George69

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2007, 10:32:12 PM »

Hi!  I always go under the bridge in North Wildwood off of a pier with my 3 and 5 year old usong a net we throw in with bunker.  WHere else can we do this since the last time there were TONS of people there and a quieter spot would be nice.  Also, is crabbing best during the day an hour before low tide? Finally, where can I get tide hours? New to this, looking for help please. Smiley
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 11:37:40 PM »

Here's a link that will lead you to the tides,  http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/boatandbeach/local/32355?lswe=32355&lwsa=Weather36HourBoatAndBeachCommand

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
Kristina685

Remember, remember the 5th of November...

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 02:36:41 PM »

I just came back from a trip to Wildwood and we rented a boat from Pier 47 right before the Rio Grande Bridge. (The North Wildwood bridge was packed as well). We caught about 2 doz heavy crabs (all jimmies, we throw the females back  laugh) starting around 7 a.m. and crabbed the incoming tide. There is also another place called 'Dad's Place' right by the North Wildwood bridge that would have more information about hot crabbing spots and where you can go without a boat. Hope this helps and good luck crabbing!  Grin

Kristina

"Oh you hate your job? Why didn't you say so?! There's a support group for that; it's called EVERYONE and they meet at the BAR." ~Drew Carey
George69

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 06:45:41 PM »

Thank you. Yep...with the 2 children, renting a boat makes me nervous, so I want to stay on land.  Thank you for the info....when you crab I think someone told me to crab an hour before high tide...is this right?
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 10:47:10 PM »

nice catch, enjoy.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Pinchy

Instructions: Hunt, fish, crab - rinse and repeat.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 09:17:54 AM »

Thanks for the info, Kristina. It would be nice if people would report how much they pay for boat rentals, since the prices vary wildly (I've seen anywhere from $35 to $100 for a crummy rowboat). As far as the tides go, my experience is the crabbing is best when the tide is moving. Sometimes they are active on the outgoing, sometimes on the incoming. Luck is a big factor.   Pinchy

Please pack your trash out, pick up others', and leave your fishing spot cleaner than when you found it.
Kristina685

Remember, remember the 5th of November...

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 11:04:45 AM »

Sorry about that!  Roll Eyes At Pier 47, I paid $72 for a 16' Carolina Skiff with a sun canopy. I knew it was pricy but we just wanted to get out there. They also have some 14' Skiffs that are a bit cheaper. It came with a crab net (which we didn't need) and lifevests for the 4 of us. We never had any problems starting the motor as we have had in previous crabbing trips.  Tongue I'm not sure how much Dad's Place charges but I'm sure you can call and get a price. Most places open around 7 a.m. on weekdays and 6 a.m. on weekends. Also, if you're headin down to Wildwood, WAWA and some other stores have free newspapers (i.e. The Herald, Shore Guide etc) that list ads and sometimes give coupons for renting boats.

P.S. At Pier 47 they will ask you to leave a $50 deposit in addition to the $72 but they do allow you to put that on a credit card or pay with cash. You get it back at the end of the trip.

Have fun!!  Cheesy

Kristina

"Oh you hate your job? Why didn't you say so?! There's a support group for that; it's called EVERYONE and they meet at the BAR." ~Drew Carey
Pinchy

Instructions: Hunt, fish, crab - rinse and repeat.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 12:50:14 PM »

Thanks Kristina, no need to say "sorry", I was just making a suggestion for everyone who rents boats. I think $72 for a 16' boat with a canopy seems to be the going rate. Causeway Rentals under Rt. 72 has the nerve to charge $100! I agree with you, the experience of being out there trumps most cost considerations. But when you consider that most party boats out of Barnegat Light charge $40 for a four-to-six hour fishing trip, I think that's a bargain and the crabboat rental places are way overpriced. Thanks!

Please pack your trash out, pick up others', and leave your fishing spot cleaner than when you found it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home