December 19, 2014, 02:13:13 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Captain Ben's Fish Market in Freeport, NY  (Read 6686 times)
surfpico

Mmm Crabs!

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2007, 05:54:46 PM »

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to give credit where credit is due about a fish market on the Nautical Mile in Freeport. I just went there today after seeing a few the other night while I was out on the town. First I tried Two Cousins Fish Market just to see what their pricing was like on crabs/other fish and whether or not they steamed.. plus I needed to buy a bushel basket for my own crabbing adventures.

Two Cousin's sorely disappointed me. Their jumbo crabs didn't seem all that jumbo and the place in general seemed sub-par. I think what really upset me was the fact that they were willing to sell me an empty bushel basket.. for $10.

So I decided to trek it a few more blocks down to Captain Ben's Fish Market. The place was really neat and the staff was really friendly. They sold me a bushel basket for $5 bucks and I got 3 1/2 lbs of medium sized crabs from them for $3.99 a pound with free steaming (the other place charged a $1 per lb to steam). That only came out to about 6 crabs... but I just wanted something to nibble on back home. Crabs were heavy and delicious. Aside from that the fish selection was marvelous and the prices were great. I'm definitely going to be going there for all my fish dinner needs.

I just thought I should recommend this place to anyone looking for a clean, friendly, and affordable fish market on the Island.

Hope this review was helpful. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 06:03:19 PM by surfpico » Logged

"I was a bayman like my father was before / Can't make a living as a bayman anymore / There ain't much future for a man who works the sea / But there ain't no island left for Islanders like me..."
-Billy Joel, Singer/Songwriter/Greatest Long Islander-
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home