August 30, 2014, 04:13:31 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: whare to go to find stone crabs in florida  (Read 7192 times)
mjbj

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2007, 12:35:14 AM »

I am just here for a few days but my father moved here and he loves to fish and he would like to start crabbing and shrimping but i dint have any idea Ware he can go do that here. Could some one please tell me where to go so i can get him started before i go? Thank you, so confused in Florida
Seanile
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 02:14:04 AM »

mjbj, you didn't mention where in Fla you were, I moved your question to an area that is more widely read that where you originally posted, hopefully you'll get timely answers here.

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?
Oscar D

Oh those Wildwood days!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 05:45:38 PM »

The Seafood Market?

I don't know if I'm speaking out of sorts or what, but I think only serious recreational crabbers target Stone Crabs, I could be wrong though.  Outside of the very southern part of the state Stone Crabs are usually caught as  non-targeted species by rec crabbers.  I also think to be succesful you'll need to go offshore and leave your pots soaking for a day or two if you're in the middle or Northern part of the state.
Now that being said, only once did I catch enough of them in South Carolina (near Hilton Head) while on vacation one day, I got about a dozen or so nice claws, but I never caught more then two any other time and I've only got one in the past 10 years in the Tampa Bay area.

RD is the guy who can tell you, but Stone season opened yesterday so he may be busy.  Commercial crabbers put their pots out for Stones about a week prior to open.

One word of advice, be careful buying Stones from trucks on the side of the road advertiseing great prices, they're usually "floaters", crabs that have recently motled and the meat hasn't filled in the shell.  You'll be disappointed, but they usually are a great price.

If yuou can get to Everglades City (extreme SW FLorida) prices are good there, they catch about a 1/3 of the state's total so the prices should be better. 
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 09:44:01 PM »

She needs to tell us where before we can help to much but most rock jettys and Artifical reefs hold a few buyt you also need to go to myfwc.com to check the rules and what gear you can use.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
mjbj

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 11:29:35 PM »

I'm so very sorry I didn't tell you what part of Florida he is in. He is on the west cost down by bradenton. if someone could help me out i would be so grateful. and can you also tell me Ware to shrimp and get spiny back lobster?

Thankyou so very much,

so confused in Florida
Oscar D

Oh those Wildwood days!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 06:08:38 PM »

Shrimping is pretty much dead now, May and June are the best times.
The little bridges for the Rest Areas on the Skyway bridge are good as are the bridges of Fort Desota.
Of course night time on a full or new moon with an outgoing tide is optimum.
Wading the grass flats can be productive (and dangerous) as well, just gotta be careful of Sharks, stepping on Rays and the current,  The birghter the light the better.  If you think it's brght enough, get one brighter.  From a bridge, build a contraption that concentrates and directs the light.
But like I said, it's pretty much done for the year.

Fopr Lobster he'll need to go South for anything resembling success, the Keys if possible (or South Dade County, we used to get them in Biscayne Bay, but that was 20 some years ago).

I still can't help with Stone Crabs.  Tell him to try for Redfish, the big 'uns are here!
mjbj

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 10:51:25 PM »

Thank you for your info but you said about red fish can u tell me whare he can go on the west cost of Florida? thank you so much for your help.

Thank you,
so confused in Florida
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 10:58:50 PM »

I'm so very sorry I didn't tell you what part of Florida he is in. He is on the west cost down by bradenton. if someone could help me out i would be so grateful. and can you also tell me Ware to shrimp and get spiny back lobster?

Thankyou so very much,

so confused in Florida
My parents used to have a place on Charlotte Harbor I don't know if it is near you but we chartered a small boat out of there and the fishing was awesome!I hope this helps.
Oscar D

Oh those Wildwood days!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 07:16:49 PM »

Any local bait shop will be able to tell you where a good place to fish for Reds.
Ya can't swing a dead Stingray without hitting one.

This is the time of year, March and October best time in the Tampa area.
The Snook are fattening up for the winter, the breeder Reds are coming into the bay, the first Fall Kings are being caught,  Grouper start to move closer in, the Macks are everywhere.  A lot of species follow the the main bait school that hangs off the Panhandle in the Summer and Winters off of the Keys and is moving through the Tampa area now, stretching from Cedar Key to Sarasota almost Charlotte Harbor.

Heck I just heard today a buddy of mine caught a 47" Jewfish (Gloaith Grouper) off of the Skyway pier Sunday night.  I don't know how he measured it yet as I know he wouldn't dare take it out of the water (if it's out of the water, it's considered in possesion, don't ask me, I don't make up the rules).  I'll ask him the next time I see him.

Have your Pop hit a bait shop, they'll give good advice on what, when, where and how.
mjbj

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 11:13:09 PM »

I just wanted to thank everyone that helped me get my father started out fishing here in Florida. My time is up here so now he is on his own but he got some ideas from you all. Florida was wounderfull and again thank you all!

thank you,

so confused in Florida
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home