November 25, 2014, 10:47:58 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new to crabbing in mobile  (Read 5416 times)
sigp220

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2008, 11:55:45 AM »

I used to go crabbing with my stepdad all the time. I'm 24 now and just graduated and between jobs and want to know where easily accessible areas are if you guys would help (bayoubilly)

I have no access to a boat and drive a car so I can't go to any crazy places like the dunes on the west end of dauphin island or whatever

bayoubilly

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 02:49:17 PM »

do you live on or near dauphin island?  i know a few "non boat" places but i could better help if i knew what area you were in.  reply with your locale and ill hook you up.
sigp220

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 09:17:27 PM »

do you live on or near dauphin island?  i know a few "non boat" places but i could better help if i knew what area you were in.  reply with your locale and ill hook you up.

no i live near the USA campus, and like I said drive a car
bayoubilly

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 09:42:45 AM »

check you bmail
BIGJOHN752000

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:08:56 AM »

HEY BILLY I WILL BE STAYING IN FORT MORGAN FOR A WEEK AND ME AND MY BUDDIES ARE GOING FISH AND CRAB OFF THE PIER AT THE HOUSE WE RENTED AY SUGGESTIONS?
BIGJOHN752000

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 05:50:51 PM »

BTW IT WILL BE IN JUNE WHEN WE STAY BOUT 10 KIDS TOO
bayoubilly

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:17:30 AM »

IS THIS LOCATION ON THE GULF SIDE, BAY SIDE OR ICWW?  IF ITS ON THE GULF YOU GOING TO CATCH MAINLY FEMALES MOST WITH SPONGES.  YOUR MORE LIKELY TO CATCH SOME BIG MALES ON THE BAY OR INTERCOASTAL WATER WAY.  I WOULD PROBABLY HANG SOME TWO RING TRAPS OR HANDLINES OFF THE PIER WITH CHICKEN NECKS OR BACKS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.  IF YOU CAN FIND A GRASS LINE AROUND THE KIDS WOULD PROBABLY GET A KICK OUT OF WALKING AND PICKING UP SOFTSHELLS.  SHOULD BE EXCELLENT FISHING AS WELL ON THE GULF SIDE YOU CAN CATCH BULL REDS, JACKS, BLUEFISH, SPANISH, AND OCCASIONALLY YOU MAY EVEN SEE A COBIA CRUISE BY.  GOOD LUCK -- BILLY
BIGJOHN752000

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 09:09:29 AM »

im on the bay side billy. coupla miles from the fort if imy calculations are close..... i will try the two rings  and the lines for the kids.... on the bay side off a pier how and what would you fish for and would the bite be plentiful? soft shells would be great to find how do you clean before frying them up? i know alot of questions thanks for the help
bayoubilly

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 11:10:36 AM »

you should be able to catch a multitude of inshore species, specs, flounder, slot reds, white trout, ground mullet, bull croaker. most species just use fresh pieces of shrimp or squid.  cut croaker or popeye mullet chunks for reds.  for flounder bull minnows, live shrimp for specks, or if you like artificials try cocahoe minnows or gulp lures on plain lead 1/4 oz jig head. the bite is usually good as long as the tide is moving.  with softshells we normally just pull the upper shell up from the back remove the "organs" rinse and fry as you normally would.
BIGJOHN752000

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »

thanks for all the info... been told dixie point is good but a nice walk
bayoubilly

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 09:29:50 PM »

YOU MEAN DIXEY BAR, ITS NAMED AFTER A SHIP THAT WRECKED THERE. BASICALLY A SAND BAR THAT PARTRUDES DUE SOUTH FROM THE BEACH AND YES IT IS A GREAT MAGNET FOR BAIT FISH WHICH DRAW IN BULL REDS, JACKS AND SPANISH. SOME SURF FISH IT, BUT YOU REALLY NEED A  BOAT TO TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE OF THE TIDE TO DRIFT FISH IT.
BIGJOHN752000

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 09:04:55 AM »

i thought about building a coupla crab traps to let sit over night and also use ring traps and let the kids do the line thing. and good ideas on building a trap?
bayoubilly

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 12:51:18 PM »

THE BEST TRAP DESIGN OR CRAB POT RATHER IS THE ONE STEVE HAS POSTED HERE.  ITS WHAT THE COMMERCIAL GUYS HERE USE AND THE ONLY ONE I KNOW THAT IS EFFECTIVE OVERNITE.  YOU ARE ALLOWED TO USE UP TO 5 OF THOSE WITH A RECREATIONAL FISHING LICENSE.  THEY DO HAVE TO BE ATTACHED TO SHORE OR A DOCK THAT IS ATTACHED TO SHORE IF IN A "CLOSED AREA".  OR MARKED WITH A RED BOUY IF IN AN AREA OPEN TO COMMERCIAL CRABBING.  I ASSUME YOUR GOING TO BUY A SINGLE TRIP LICENSE?  THE POTS WORK BETTER ON A MULTI DAY SOAK BECAUSE IT ALLOWS THE SMALLER CRABS TO ESCAPE AND MORE BIG CRABS TO GET IN.
t65k3

Enjoyin' Crabbin'

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 01:59:48 PM »

Billy, got a question if you don't mind......
I have been to Dauphin Island once and only fished from the pier. Last time I stayed in a hotel, not too far away from the pier and I did some crabbing at the back of the hotel where they had small piers. Caught only one. Any other spots for non-boater crabbing there? I have ring traps and also box type. Is now a good time fro crabbing already? Spring Break is coming~
bayoubilly

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 10:29:14 AM »

hi there.  the only problem with the island pier is that its on the gulf side.  you typically pick up more females there, mostly with sponge.  if pier fishing was my only option, i would try cedar point pier.  i dont remember their limit but i think you can only use three ring traps and no commercial style pots.  ive seen the commercial guys starting to move their pots back to the flats which cedar point is located on one, so i would say that its getting close to time for them to show up.  the only other place i can think of right off is the little public pier across from the fort on the east end of the island.  if i can be of any further help dont hesitate to ask.  Smiley
t65k3

Enjoyin' Crabbin'

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 02:56:10 AM »

Thanks for the info, Billy.

I am gonna give it a try some time next week, will let you know~ Grin
t65k3

Enjoyin' Crabbin'

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 03:07:29 AM »

I went there last week. caught a few with the ring traps. Got a few redfish on the side..... It was fun~
joey822

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 12:36:28 AM »

Hey Billy,

I have been reading your responses and you seem very knowledgable of the area, and would like to get your opinion and ask you a question or two. 

I am vacationing on dauphin island for a week, and would like to catch some blue crabs and red snapper,.  I have some ring traps for catching Blue crabs, is there any location on the sound side that is better than others.  Also I have small boat, any hot spots for red snapper and what baits do you suggest. 

Thanks for your help it is appreciated. 
R/ Joey

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home