July 25, 2014, 04:34:23 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pasta, shrimp/crab, olive oil, garlic, hot pepper (easy 20-min recipe)  (Read 7013 times)
Pinchy

Instructions: Hunt, fish, crab - rinse and repeat.

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2008, 06:42:27 PM »

This recipe is so simple and easy to make, with low prep time, you will not believe how good it tastes. I ate this for the first time in a little cafe in Rome, right down the iter from the Pantheon. This recipe - Pasta aglio, olio e peperoncino - is classic and has probably been made for over 2,000 years in different forms. My modifications include adding seafood and bell peppers. chef This can literally be prepared and served in 20 minutes. These amounts serve two people (depending upon BMI of fat, weight, girth, and propensity for gluttony - naturally).

1. Add half of a one-pound box of linguini or No. 8 spaghetti to briskly boiling salted water. Return to boil quickly, stir, cook 8-10 minutes until pasta is al dente (slightly chewy, not too soft). Pour into colander to drain, but do not rinse; this gives the pasta a clingy surface so the oil and flavors stick.

2. In a saucepan, heat a little olive oil. To this add raw shrimp (shell-on tastes much better IMO) [if you want to use crabmeat, see Step 3.], four-six large cloves mashed garlic, red hot pepper flakes to taste (I like about 1/2 tablespoon, fra diavolo devil), a couple tablespoons of diced green or red fresh bell pepper, and cook for a few minutes until garlic and peppers are soft and fragrant, and shrimp are done. Now add about 1/8 - 1/4 cup nice virgin olive oil and heat. Sprinkle with sea salt to taste. The only critical point in Step 2. is to not allow the temperature of the oil get so hot that it burns the garlic. Burnt garlic ruins the sauce and you must start over.

3. [If you waited to use crabmeat instead of shrimp, add 1/2 - one cup of cooked crabmeat to the sauce and heat through before folding in pasta.] Fold in the pasta, sprinkle with chopped fresh or dried parsely (and minced scallions if desired) to taste, and toss until the sauce coats the pasta. Eat right away while hot - believe it, this dish is outstanding. tongue2 You may substitute a flour thickened butter/cream sauce for the olive oil, but your cholesterol levels may prove fatal. skull  laugh
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 03:54:26 PM by Pinchy » Logged

Please pack your trash out, pick up others', and leave your fishing spot cleaner than when you found it.
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 08:05:03 PM »

Sounds awesome,I'm going to try that very soon.Thanks.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 10:00:43 PM »

sounds good.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 09:34:30 AM »

that does sound good  Tongue

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BLACK RIVER, NY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 11:54:42 AM »

Sounds yummah....so Pinchy, why don't you make some, oh by the way, what time is dinner?  Smiley

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
CrabbyLAD
Lifetime Member

Location: Arbutus, Md. & Living The Dream Watersports, Summerland Key, Fla

"Slow Poke"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 12:50:09 PM »

Now I'm really hungry....... Thanks Pinchy I'm a big pasta fan...
I needed a good alternative from my same old seafood maranara.

On my way to the store...  chef 

Get Your Crab-on!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 01:39:51 PM »

yea, what time do we eat. I get a ride with CRAB SHACK for dinner.  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
Sounds yummah....so Pinchy, why don't you make some, oh by the way, what time is dinner?  Smiley

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
HJH

Daisy the Crab Lab

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 09:40:55 PM »

I bet it would be good with the shrimp and the crab together. Oh and doulble the pasta you will want some tomorrow too Grin
CrabbyLAD
Lifetime Member

Location: Arbutus, Md. & Living The Dream Watersports, Summerland Key, Fla

"Slow Poke"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 12:03:17 PM »

Well it was awesome!
I used crab & shrimp (with the shell on) and you were right!  Grin
Enjoyed it so much.. I'm going to add it to my holiday seafood
lineup....  Thanks again Pinchy....  Wink

Get Your Crab-on!
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 12:22:45 PM »

Well it was awesome!
I used crab & shrimp (with the shell on) and you were right!  Grin
Enjoyed it so much.. I'm going to add it to my holiday seafood
lineup....  Thanks again Pinchy....  Wink

Sounds good pinchy.  I was wondering about the cream sauce version.... The Mrs made something like this from a recipe with shrimp, garlilc, olive oil, cream cheese, rosemary.  Basically saute shrimp in olive oil till pink with garlic,  then remove shrimp leaving what bit of sauc left and add cream cheese and a bit more oil and diced fresh roma tomatoes, fresh basil and make a cream sauce and then add shrimp back and serve over linguinni.  I have to get the exact measurements of stuff.   Sounds very simliar and it was good. 

.Cdog

MD / PA Line
Pinchy

Instructions: Hunt, fish, crab - rinse and repeat.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 03:42:41 PM »

Sounds good pinchy.  I was wondering about the cream sauce version....

CrabbyLad, I'm really glad you enjoyed it! Grin CDog, your wife's recipe sounds excellent too. You really can't go wrong with a basic cream sauce and fresh shellfish (except for overcooking, too much salt, burnt garlic). One of the nice things about the pasta/garlic/olive oil/hot pepper base is that it is relatively low-calorie with a heart-heathy oil, but the flavor/aroma is dense with a real kick. You can prepare it simply, or add other ingredients (one nice modification is to substitute chopped fresh clams and Italian seasoning; these spices are too intense for delicate shrimp/crabmeat but clams stand up to them very well). I am anxious to try your "almost famous" soup, as well as the recipe for garlic crabs given elsewhere in Crab Recipes. Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 03:49:20 PM by Pinchy » Logged

Please pack your trash out, pick up others', and leave your fishing spot cleaner than when you found it.
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 09:22:10 AM »

Pinchy,

another easy trick is to use Kraft Zesty Italian or Balsamic vinegrtte dressing instead of olive oil.  You can marinate the chicken, steak, or shrimp in it than just saute em as usual and it is an an easy fast way to cook and flavor em at the same time.  BTW,  Most of us "chefs" on here aren't too worried about heart healthy...
 Shocked laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

think of all the cholestrol in shrimp, crab meat etc.  Hey this is not a training exercise... gotta enjoy things while we can.  to a point anyway...   I will  have to get those recipes posted.  I have a few varriations on sautee's with shrimp, olives, brocolli, red, green,yellow peppers with lots of garlic lemon juice, olive oil, white wine served on top of fresh fetuccini and oh yeah,, meanwhile I grill/blacken a rockfish fillet with lemon butter and chef Prudhomme seafood magic and serve that on top of the sautee medley.  it's awesome.  Have version with a cream sauce too , scampi, and an easy clams with either a red or white sauce over angel hair or linguinni  Gotta go dig em up and post em.. gotta stop now as I am getting really hungry..   Grin

..........Cdog

MD / PA Line

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home