November 23, 2014, 10:47:00 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Blue Crabs and Virginia but not new to crabbing. Where to go?  (Read 15030 times)
Articulady

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2008, 12:52:56 PM »

Hi!  As y'all can see, I am new to this board.  I'm from Washington State where I used to go for Dungeness (and inadvertantly Red Rock) whenever possible.  I'd like to teach my 5 year-old all about crabbing, but have yet to actually go and do it, mostly due to lack of knowledge of the area and a reluctant DH.  I've done a lot of research online, but frankly all the place names etc are meaningless without checking the map at the mention of each name, checking the regulations, estimating how long it'll take me to get everyone there and home again blah blah blah Smiley

We live about an hour west of Richmond and would love to find the closest place possible (for starters) where we can crab and maybe even make it back home that night, thus inspiring a desire in DH to crab often, then allowing us to range further afield for overnights, etc.

I have a big 3-ring-net/pot that I used to use for Dungies, but I'm afraid the net openings might be too big for blues; we've also bought a little metal pot/basket here in Virginia that I presume is meant for blues lol.

Any advice about where relatively nearby I can take my somewhat reluctant family where success is likely to occur?  Do Blue crabs like turkey legs, too? Any help or advice you experienced folk can give me will be greatly appreciated.  I'm not asking for your secret spots although I wouldn't mind a bit - just a general area where public recreational crabbing is allowed not too far away...

Thanks!
Elizabeth
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 01:01:03 PM by Articulady » Logged
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 01:31:07 PM »

Welcome to the board.  I am not to familiar with the western side of the bay.  My guess is there are lots of places within a 2 or 3 hour drive from where you are.  There are some members on the board that crab that side.  I am sure they we login with some ideas for you.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise on Albemarle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 02:53:03 PM »

Welcome to the site!!!!  Grin Grin Grin Grin You may want to ask the webmaster(Steve) about crabbing that side of the bay. There is plenty of places for you to go, by boat, as I am not sure about piers except for the one on James River(north of Hampton Rds on HWY 17 N). BTW....who/what is DH??? GOOD LUCK Grin

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
Articulady

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 03:05:14 PM »

DH = generally refers to Dear Husband.. but you can use your imagination using the tone of the post as your guide  Grin

Thanks for the welcome!

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise on Albemarle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 03:21:12 PM »

DH = generally refers to Dear Husband.. but you can use your imagination using the tone of the post as your guide  Grin

Thanks for the welcome!

We'll just leave it at that Cheesy Roll Eyes Welcome once again Smiley BTW, there is tons of folks on here that really are very knowledgable for Va crabbing, I think they must be all Nascar fans and not logged in now Wink

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 05:21:43 PM »

welcome aboard . don't know much about that artea , but someone will be able to help you out. Good luck , hane a GREAT season.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 07:58:14 PM »

WELCOME TO OUR LITTLE CORNER OT THE WEB!!

THERE ARE TONS OF PLACES WITHIN 2-3 -4 HOURS DRIVE OF RICHMOND, TO CRAB WITH TRAPS OR HANDLINES FROM SHORE OR PIERS
THE WYE RIVER, (AKA WYE MILLS) MARYLAND, VERY POPULAR ON THIS SITE BIG CRABS , AND BOAT RENTALS
THERES THE TIDEWATER VIRGINIA AREA, VIRGINIA BEACH,, LYNNHAVEN FISHING PIER, RUDEE INLET.
CHESAPEAKE,DEEP CREEK AND GREAT BRIDGE LOCKS PARK, 
THE OUTER BANKS OF NORTH CAROLINA

HOPE THIS HELPS GOOD CRABBIN TO YA
CG
dredgecrab

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 08:56:49 PM »

coming from Richmond take rte 360(mechanicville trnpke) all the way to Reedsville. They have good crabbing on the  bay and potomac. crabs should  be catching good there by first of may.
Seanile
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 09:45:53 AM »

Welcome to the forum.  From where in WA are ya from?  Glad to see you capitalized Dungeness. They deserve it.   Wink

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?
Articulady

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 09:06:59 AM »

Thanks, everyone!  I'm from the Seattle area, where no other crab but Dungies exist in the minds of the locals except King.  I worked on a fishing boat in Alaska for a year and got eat more than my share of fresh King crab, salmon and a whole slew of oddities that come out of the Bearing Sea. 

Growing up in Washington, I had years to drive around aimlessly near the water, pouring over the regulations, studying the currents, throwing in my pot wherever I wanted, dining on oysters and digging clams.  After years of such freedom you learn all the good spots and only have to bone up on regulation changes.  Now, it's a whole new ballgame for me, starting over completely.  I no longer have the freedom to take off for a long weekend and learn where to go WHILE I go - 5 year-olds only have so much tolerance for wandering aimlessly lol!

I appreciate the advice and direction you guys can give... I feel lost and frankly a bit homesick being so "far" from the water Smiley
crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

awww geeeez....another one

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 12:21:44 PM »

Couple days on the bay, and you'll forget you left!!

"CHESAPEAKE FEVER" catch it and you'll know "WYE"
DipNSip

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 11:24:31 AM »

Articulady,

Heres another possibility for you if you don't want to drive all the way to Reedsville. Look up Westmoreland State Park. It is on the Potomac about an hour west (Up River) from Reedsville. I have a friend from Tappahannock, Va. that goes there and sometimes does well with crabbing. It is still about a 2+ hour drive from where you are at.

Articulady

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 08:12:53 PM »

Thanks DipNSip, that looks like a great plan.  Thanks for all the advice from everyone, actually Smiley  I'm going to give it a try very soon - the kids have spring break coming up shortly, so that'll free things up quite a bit!

Chicken necks, is it?
DipNSip

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 09:57:06 AM »

Chicken necks are fine for either crab traps or trotlines.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 05:13:52 PM »

Bunker

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 05:15:13 PM »