December 21, 2014, 05:13:54 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ???CRABBING SPOTS IN TEXAS????  (Read 38902 times)
alvean73

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2008, 03:14:45 AM »

I wanted to go crabing and wanted to know if anyone knows of any spots I can go to. In either Clear Lake, Kemah Area, Surf Side Area, or even Galveston?Huh If anyone knows of a good location please let me know the directions.... THANK YOU.......
aab1973

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 11:31:21 PM »

Hello alvean73,

I know of a couple of really good spots and I am going to try another this weekend. One of the best spots that I like to go to is in Galveston. If you get on 45 south, take the 61st street exit and take the u-turn under the freeway... stay on the feeder road in front of the Home Depot shopping center. At the last street that accesses the north side of the complex (I think is 65th st) take a right... I think there is a convenince store on that corner. Take this road until it dead ends (about three blocks). You can park your car at the end of this street and walk from this point, on the abandoned railroad tracks to the lagoon. This is were a friend of mine first took me to get crab. I consider this friend of mine to be a "Master Crabber" since he had been doing it since the age of 4 with his Dad. The spot yields a bunch of crabs because it is so secluded. If you go, let me know how you did... but leave some for me. There are also a couple more spots along 45 just before you get to the causeway. I live in League City & work in Kemah so every year I find more and more spots to get crab. I am going to try to get out there on Friday to "test the waters". I have never been out this early in the season, and I am anxious to see what I can get. I will let you know what I am able to find... if I do end up going. If you know of any good spots in this area, let me know. Talk to you soon. Peace!!! tongue3   
alvean73

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 11:52:40 PM »

Thanx for your help.... Well I went crabbing a couple of days after I had posted this and it wasn't so well. I went to a place where I used to go on Red Bluff, kind of Clear Lake Area. It is a broken bridge that is not in use anymore. We use to get a cooler full from that area but the past couple of times has gotten fewer and fewer. Especially the last time i went, mostly babies. We also went to Texas City Dike and I had heard it was good there but not much. I even dropped a crab cage and nothing. I had heard of that place that you speak of, is it the one behind a Home depot? I heard it was good. Is that a rocky area? Bc I am not that go with chicken on a string on rocky areas. How do you catch crab there?
aab1973

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 01:02:13 AM »

Hello again alvean73... YES!!! it is the one behind Home Depot on a the abandoned railroad track.  Everytime I have gone there I have gotten at least half a cooler full. The only thing is that it is kind of secluded, and if you got in to trouble... no one would hear you back there. So for that reason I always take at least a cell phone... but preferably a friend. I have never used traps so I don't know what a days catch would yield with them at these spots. I usually catch a cooler full using a string and a chicken neck or back. I usually tie my string on to the reeds that grow along the rocky shoreline... they are flexible enough to see the crab hitting the bait but sturdy enought not to snap under the pressure. Other spots that I know of along the highway before you get to the causeway are more out in the open so I don't mind going to those by myself. Just trying to play it safe. Well I hope this helps, let me know how your crabbing in this area goes... and I will do the same. See ya!!!
on the hook
Lifetime Member

Location: Central Pa/S Jersey till I can find some work somewhere

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 10:59:46 AM »

Well, I'll be danged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I'm not mistaken, I used to fish this bridge. Not a lot, but some. About 20' above the water?? I know way back in the 70s I speck fished Gal Bay/San Luis Pass etc. Now and then on the way back to Houston we would fish an abandoned RR bridge on the north bound side. Poppers and shrimp. Did ok too. 30 years ago, and it's still there??

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.
Boat Repairguy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 08:35:42 AM »

do you know any areas around bridge city Tx?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home