September 02, 2014, 07:42:54 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbing in Navarre/Destin FL area  (Read 13746 times)
DocSmith

Proud of what I stand for; Careful what I fall for

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2008, 09:16:41 PM »

I have a guy asking about crabbing in Navarre and Destin.  He will be visiting here this weekend and the next two.  Anyone have any local knowledge about where he can crab from shore and what type of gear to use?

Doc

The Cruelest Creature's the Crab, with Pinchers that can Cut you and Stab! And Then, when you Dine on Crab and White Wine, it's Murder when you Pick Up The Tab!
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 10:03:30 PM »

I have a guy asking about crabbing in Navarre and Destin.  He will be visiting here this weekend and the next two.  Anyone have any local knowledge about where he can crab from shore and what type of gear to use?

Doc
Doc I just came from Destin last week, the place where I stayed said they crab off the docks (Private). I don't know what is public but there are docks and piers all over Destin Harbor. They said they get huge crabs there between June - Aug. I seen some people fishing on the bridge over the bay and thought I saw some commercial pots out there. I would think traps but I don't know the gear restrictions. I don't think they are in the shallows yet it's been cool there (50's - 60's as a high). Water temp I believe was in the low 60's. Hope this helped a bit. Wink

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
DocSmith

Proud of what I stand for; Careful what I fall for

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:01:09 PM »

Thanks, Joe -

This year's season is just about over down here and the new one starts tomorrow - we crab 365/year - at least the commercial guys do!

Thanks for the info.

Doc

The Cruelest Creature's the Crab, with Pinchers that can Cut you and Stab! And Then, when you Dine on Crab and White Wine, it's Murder when you Pick Up The Tab!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 10:51:17 AM »

Thanks, Joe -

This year's season is just about over down here and the new one starts tomorrow - we crab 365/year - at least the commercial guys do!

Thanks for the info.

Doc
laugh

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 09:28:11 PM »

Thanks, Joe -

Thanks for the info.

Doc
Maybe you should let the people in Destin know. At least the rec's. Didn't see anyone crabbing in that 40 - 50 degree weather. It gets colder than that on the Wye. Roll Eyes Grin

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 02:22:05 PM »

Doc

I caught the Official last crab of the Season this year, beating out RD by twelve seconds. It was caught in trap seven of my string, at 1159 and 49 seconds. No other crabs were reported caught in the last eleven seconds of the season. Trap eight was empty, so I didnt record time for the new season first crab honors.
In the Photo, the Last crab was the large angry looking one. He was caught in twelve ft. of water, with water temp in 50s.

Cc

Say brother....can you spare a crab...
crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

awww geeeez....another one

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 03:38:37 PM »

Doc

I caught the Official last crab of the Season this year, beating out RD by twelve seconds. It was caught in trap seven of my string, at 1159 and 49 seconds. No other crabs were reported caught in the last eleven seconds of the season. Trap eight was empty, so I didnt record time for the new season first crab honors.
In the Photo, the Last crab was the large angry looking one. He was caught in twelve ft. of water, with water temp in 50s.
 If you can get him an economy seat on the next flight north...SEND EM UP!!!
Cc

"CHESAPEAKE FEVER" catch it and you'll know "WYE"
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 04:33:10 PM »

NICE.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 09:33:56 PM »

Doc

Cc
Nice crab Crunch. I don't think the water temps are the problem. Still get crabs up here in 50 degree temps with colder air temps. Just have to crab in 25 -30'. You don't get the sustained cold to really bury them. They may slow down but that's it. I just don't think alot of people down there care to crab in 30 ,40 , 50 degree weather. Grin B4 I went to Destin temps got in the 20's there with highs in the 30's. It seems to get a lot cooler in the panhandle area then further south. When it gets that cold unless your making a living I think the people tend to hibernate, not the crabs. I would like to see a picture of Doc crabbing in a fur coat.laugh

Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 10:14:43 PM »

Joe

My crabbing partner and I really wanted to see how well we could do in the Winter months as opposed to Summer.
Results are.....Winter wins hands down. It is just too brutally hot crabbing in the Summer, especially running topless traps.
Also, Winter crabs are solid, heavy, and huge. They are far easier to locate, and more abundant and less spread out as in Summer.
I used to ice fish and found the same to be true for Winter crappie. All stacked up in deep water.
Ive seen commercial type traps on residents docks stacked up after the first cold fromt drove the crabs about twenty feet away from their dock. All the crabs they could want, just a few more feet from where there dock ended.
And as you could see for yourself, there are not many recs crabbing.
We like it that way. Grin

Cc

Say brother....can you spare a crab...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home