December 20, 2014, 07:23:21 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review: Kelly's Inn, York PA  (Read 8271 times)
Brett

« on: May 26, 2003, 11:22:35 AM »

If you live in York, Pennsylvania area and like steamed crabs, you probably already know about this restaurant.   They've been steaming crabs for at least 20 years.   If you live further south, you might be better off finding a crab house on the bay.   But Kelly's Inn makes a great short trip alternative for a Camp Hill, PA resident (like me).

Kelly's Inn is a half "biker" bar (not too rowdy), half family seafood restaurant just up the North Sherman street hill from the Harley Davidson plant off route 30.   We always get a table on the bar side, just seems more comfortable for crab picking!

Their hardshells come crusted in a heavy rock salt/Old Bay seasoning.    We've eaten there at least a half-dozen times a year over the past 4-5 years (usually after a round of pitch and putt golf at Rolling Acres Par-3 down towards Red Lion)  and their crabs have been consistently above average.   They also have a nice variety of other food on their menu, including plenty of non-seafood items.  

I'm not sure if they have crabs on weekdays.   Since the York area has more crab eaters than crab houses, be sure to call ahead on weekends for reservations and to reserve your crabs!  

« Last Edit: May 26, 2003, 11:25:31 AM by Brett » Logged
NJ Grasshopper

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2003, 10:00:49 PM »

Directions and phone number. Thanks again for the posts Brett.

pennsylcrabber

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 08:23:40 PM »

Brett,
       Excellent choice of a local restaurant.....if you never have before you have to try there crab dip in a bread bowl.......it is delicious.....me and my wife have never eaten there without getting that as our appetitzer...
                                                            Toby

P.s.-anyone familiar with a recipe close to this i would love to make it at home
KaseyWolf

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 05:32:25 PM »

I'm going to have to check it out!!  I have only lived in York for about 2 years.  A friend of mine at work told me about another one, I'll ask her about it.  Might be the same one she told me about.

Thanks!

Kaesy
NJ Grasshopper

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 10:37:29 PM »

Hey Toby ---- Try this one, it's from the recipes listed here on this site:

Wading River
Bread Crab Cheese Dip

Several (3 ?) oz. Imported Fresh Grated Parmesan
16oz. Cream Cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup dry white wine
8 Scallions
pimiento
1lb Crab Meat
2lb round loaf of bread

Mix & beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in mayonnaise, wine, & scallions until smooth. Gently stir in pimiento, parmesan, & crab.

Slice of top of bread - hollow out and put on baking sheet. Fill with dip mix. Bake about 45 minutes @ 350

-OR-

Cook dip mix in a cassrole & pour hot into bread - just before serving.
Brett

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2003, 04:30:20 PM »

I'm going to have to check it out!!

Kasey, I don't think you'll be disappointed with Kelly's.   Back in the day, they use to sell a lot of hardshells down at the Philly Cafe on West Philadelphia Street but I think they're closed now.  

If your co-worker is talking about a different place let me know.    I live in Camp Hill now, so I'm not up on the York scene any more.

thanks!
Steve Plowman

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2003, 12:53:51 PM »

You're right Brett, Kelly's is the place to go in York.  I lived at 1021 N. Sherman St for years and made the trip up the hill many times. I still get back once a year to visit and hit Kelly's every time.  The Philly Cafe is closed, may it rest in peace.
Steve

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home