October 23, 2014, 08:22:43 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orange Beach Crabbing  (Read 5933 times)
JimD

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2008, 12:10:03 PM »

I will be staying at the Four Seasons in Orange Beach, AL in two weeks. This condo complex has a private 800 foot fishing pier and I am planning to do some crabbing as well as fishing. 

I have two nice two ring traps and was wondering how well I could expect to do? How far out should I go, or what should I look for in deciding where to set the nets? Any info you can give me on the crabbing aspect would be appreciated.

I have never crabbed in the gulf, but as a kid used to crab all the time in the Pacific from a pier.

Thanks,
Jim
bayoubilly

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 09:47:22 AM »

i assume this condo is on the gulf and not the intercoastal waterway.  if the water clarity is good you should be able to see the crabs crawling under the pier.  the only draw back of crabbing on the gulf is your going to pick up mostly females almost all of which will have sponges.  you will also catch some stone crabs. those you can only keep one claw. good luck and happy crabbing
JimD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 02:07:23 PM »

Hi Bayoubilly,

Thanks for the reply. You are correct, the pier is on the gulf side.

The only thing I have been able to find about crabs in Alabama is that they have to be 5" across. Are there any other restrictions I need to know, such as creel limits and such. I only plan to take what I will eat immediately. Are females with sponges illegal. Even if not, I will try not to take any that obviously have eggs. I don't need many because it is just my wife and I and I am only wanting them for crab cakes or for a crab bisque.

About the stone crabs, is there a minimum length for the one claw that is taken?

Thanks,
Jim
bayoubilly

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 12:38:31 PM »

its not illegal to take sponge bearing females in alabama i just dont personally do it.  you are correct on the size. 5" point to point. and as of the last regs i read there is no creel limit for rec crabbers.  i believe the alabama regs for stone crab is that the claw must have a diameter of 2 and 3/4 inches and that you are allowed up to one gallon of them per day.
JimD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 02:54:24 PM »

Thank you. I will strive to avoid keeping any of the females. I did a check and of all those eggs, there will be next to none that become mature. Hopefully, I will find some without sponges.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home