October 22, 2014, 02:22:23 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current VA Crab Regulations  (Read 26831 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« on: June 06, 2008, 03:35:30 PM »

http://www.mrc.state.va.us/regulations/recfish&crabrules.shtm
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:48:57 AM by jack1747 » Logged

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
WyldGade

Crabby puppy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 04:38:55 PM »

So from what I understand, my husband and I don't need a license to go hand line & net crabbing, is this correct? We're brand new to this and want to try it soon.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 04:42:03 PM »

So from what I understand, my husband and I don't need a license to go hand line & net crabbing, is this correct? We're brand new to this and want to try it soon.
That is correct.  Plus you can use an unlimited number of traps and 2 commercial pots/person.  24/7..  And Welcome to the BCA  Cool

WyldGade

Crabby puppy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 04:43:33 PM »

Thank you and thank you  Smiley
malone1956

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 04:20:28 PM »

I have two questions:

1) If camping at Cherrystone, can my wife and I drop over two crab pots each while we are fishing, or is it two pots per vessel?

2) The other question is about the pots themselves.  Do the pots have to have culling rings for recreational crabbing.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 04:54:37 PM »

I have two questions:

1) If camping at Cherrystone, can my wife and I drop over two crab pots each while we are fishing, or is it two pots per vessel?

2) The other question is about the pots themselves.  Do the pots have to have culling rings for recreational crabbing.
Welcome tothe BCA

1. 2 per person

2. Yes   * A recreational crab pot must have at least four unobstructed cull rings, one at least 2 5/16 inches inside diameter, another at least 2 3/16 inches inside diameter located one each in opposite exterior side panels of the upper chamber of the pot, and two at least 2 3/8 inches inside diameter cull rings located one each in opposite exterior side panels of the upper chamber of the pot; except the two 2 3/8 inches diameter ring are not required in pots set on seaside of Accomack & Northampton Counties [4 VAC 20-700-20].

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 08:19:47 AM »

bot

Crabhappy

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 11:51:23 AM »

I am still trying to clear up the number of crab traps that I can use at Cherrystone next year on vacation.  I will be using the recreational open top drop traps, not commercial crab pots.   I here there is no limit, I hear 2 per person the same as pots.  I spoke with the DNR rep and they said 2 also.  Can anyone verify that as it seems a small numberr of traps if I have a bushel limit/ 
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 12:56:16 PM »

I am still trying to clear up the number of crab traps that I can use at Cherrystone next year on vacation.  I will be using the recreational open top drop traps, not commercial crab pots.   I here there is no limit, I hear 2 per person the same as pots.  I spoke with the DNR rep and they said 2 also.  Can anyone verify that as it seems a small numberr of traps if I have a bushel limit/ 
Answer is here -> http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php/topic,27845.0.html Welcome to the BCA

Tom Powers

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 01:40:22 PM »

The cull ring regulation that Jack quoted got updated this spring.

4VAC20-700-20. Cull ring requirements.

A. Effective July 1, 2008 it shall be unlawful for any person to place, set or fish any crab pot, in Virginia's Seaside Area, that does not contain at least two unobstructed cull rings of size and location within the pot, as described in this subsection, except as provided in subsection C of this section. One cull ring shall be at least 2-5/16 inches inside diameter, and the other cull ring shall be at least 2-3/16 inches inside diameter. These cull rings shall be located, one each, in opposite exterior side panels of the upper chamber of the pot.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to place, set or fish any crab pot, in any Virginia waters, except as described in subsection A of this section, that does not contain at least two unobstructed, cull rings. The two cull rings shall be at least 2-3/8 inches inside diameter and shall be located, one each, in opposite exterior side panels of the upper chamber of the pot.
C. Peeler pots with a mesh size less than 1-1/2 inches shall be exempt from the cull ring requirement.
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 07:38:28 PM »

A little confusing,does this mean that you have to have 4 cull rings of 3 different sizes or if you have the bigger ones then all you have to have is 2?

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
Tom Powers

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 07:35:02 AM »

The new rule is two cull rings For the seaside of the eastern shore one at 2 5/16 and one at 2 3/16.

For the rest of the state it is 2 cull rings 2 3/8 inches in diameter.. 

Last year was when it was confusing.  Then you had to have four cull rings three different sizes.  Of course you could have used four all of the larger size and been legal.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 07:37:11 AM by Tom Powers » Logged
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 10:21:58 AM »

Well that is better why the differance in sizes on the seaside?I understand smaller crabs there but why have 2 different sizes,is there times when they can close the bigger one off?

- John Wayne
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 10:25:44 AM »

Well that is better why the differance in sizes on the seaside?I understand smaller crabs there but why have 2 different sizes,is there times when they can close the bigger one off?
No.

bluedudesurfer

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 12:17:50 PM »

thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 05:29:14 PM by bluedudesurfer » Logged
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »

Click on the link provided and do a little research.

- John Wayne
Stumpnocker

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 12:55:10 PM »

Hi Jack, Just wondering if I can run a 1200' trotline on the tidal potomac if i put in on the Va. side ? Thanks
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 03:40:30 PM »

Hi Jack, Just wondering if I can run a 1200' trotline on the tidal potomac if i put in on the Va. side ? Thanks
I just updated the Potomac Rules topic (added the pic below) -> http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php/topic,28255.msg246316.html#msg246316

Basically, If your in the Md. Trib's then it's MD Rules...  If your in the main section of the river it's PRFC rules.  1 600' line per boat.  If your in a VA trib. it's 1 300' line per license.  You can have multi license in VA but the lines can't cannot be connected..... Cool

Stumpnocker

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 11:49:26 PM »

Thanks Jack, Looks like i better do some more research. Huh

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home