October 01, 2014, 06:12:26 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Saybrook Area  (Read 9226 times)
Smokedat

Ignore
« on: July 01, 2008, 01:17:42 PM »

Anyone hear anything on crabs in the Old Saybrook area. Last year was a banner year!
Had no problem filling up the cooler in 3 to 4 hours with 4 to 5 drop nets.
mike_from_MA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 05:23:28 PM »

Hi Smokedat:

I haven't heard any reports yet for Old Saybrook, but I will be crabbing that general area this Saturday (July 5th); I'll let you know how I make out.  Last year was a fantastic crabbing year, I must have caught 300 keepers.  Hope this year is similar.

Mike
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 09:25:12 PM »

The crabs are in that area and Clinton also.

Good luck and post your reports!
I am still waiting for them to show at Norwalk! Not here yet; I checked today!

Retired in paradise!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 09:33:49 PM »

good luck , have a GREAT day.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
BLUE CRAB GURU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 07:47:50 AM »

hi all !!!  i will be going out this sat to "test the waters" in my secret location that i have done very well in for many years. i will let yall now how i make out. good luck!!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 08:03:27 AM »

hope you do well , good luck.

Aar684

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 08:54:28 AM »

I have been crabbing in CT for years. Where is this "secret spot" haha. I think I have been mostly everywhere that is any good here. Maybe not though?

I was in the hammonasset river last week. A handful of keepers in a half day. Nothing special but not terrible either.

Aar684

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 08:55:24 AM »

And east haddam is way out in no whereville. A family member of mine lives there. I used to fish behind the opera house for good old channel cat.
Sneaky

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 01:11:39 PM »

You need to exploit the spot's people usually crab at. If you see 5 or 6 people crabbing in 1 spot, just go 1/2 a mile up river, even if it means walking in knee deep mud! The returns will be greater then those 5 people put together! Great spot's don't mean it has to be hidden or anything like that  Grin
Sneaky

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 01:14:38 PM »

Hi Smokedat:

I haven't heard any reports yet for Old Saybrook, but I will be crabbing that general area this Saturday (July 5th); I'll let you know how I make out.  Last year was a fantastic crabbing year, I must have caught 300 keepers.  Hope this year is similar.

Mike

Go 2 hours before DEAD LOW, on and under the bridge across from Mcdonalds on route 1 in old Saybrook, I'll prob be there too.. Anyway's you can walk under the bridge with a scoopnet and grab them from the rock's. They are usually almost always buddie'd with partners, just throw the females back.
BLUE CRAB GURU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 04:45:06 PM »

my secret spot is just that.   SORRY BUT I CAN TELL YOU THAT IT IS in the town of lyme in a very secluded spot. never anyone crabbing there and the water seems to be very clean there. crabs are just as angry as they were when i get home after 8 hours in the bucket!!  lol. all 6"and up too. last year i only had to throw away 1 crab that was 4-3/4". all the other 72 were keepers.
unclebuttsy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 06:41:22 PM »

Hey Shellfish,

Glad to hear that Clinton still has crabs. Grew up in CT, vacationed in Clinton as a boy and crabbed in the salt marsh behind the beach. No chicken necjks back then, we used the heads of the cod and blues we caught in the Sound. Back when there were cod...
BLUE CRAB GURU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 09:21:31 AM »

i think this [dang] rain is going to ruin my nighttime crabbing venture. [dang]!!!!!!!
mike_from_MA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 08:05:23 PM »

Well, we just got back from putting about 2.5 hours of crabbing today, and it wasn't all that good.  My son got 2 keepers, and I had 1 throwback and missed another 3 that were probably 6-6.5 inches each.  He was using traps with chicken, while I attempted to scape them.  I am usually a lot more successful with this technique at this location, however, we only had limited time today, and we ended up crabbing a little before high tide.  I think by the end of the month, it will be much better.

Good luck to all, and keep the reports coming in.

Mike Undecided
pdockter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 07:00:54 PM »

The crabs have arrived in Old Saybrook.  Just got back with eight all about 7 inches.  Still a little slow, seems best at the flood and after.  I hand lined with an eight year old who kicked my butt.  Looks like a good season coming.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 07:04:14 PM »

Welcome . sounds good , it is Great seeing the young ones having fun catching crabs,  Wink

BIGCRABCT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 12:56:16 PM »

has anyone been crabbing under baldwin bridge in old saybrook?
pdockter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 10:11:22 AM »

I usually go on the Lyme side of the Baldwin Bridge, Goose Island is usually fairly productive as well as the Lieutenant River.  All through there produces and they are in.  Big ones but not a lot of quantity as of last week, that could be changing by now.
tankertal

Remember : The Moral Majority, is neither !

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 06:00:05 PM »

What is this box trap I read about?? I have used hand lines and a net. I do remember a trap from years ago, that the 4 sides were triangles, and they hopefully opened when they hit the bottom. Is that a box trap??
pdockter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 12:45:51 AM »

The two primary traps that are used are the star trap, the one that looks like a pyramid when it's closed, open on  sides and top when open.  And there is the box trap that looks like a box when closed and is open on four sides with the top and bottom still being in place.  I like the box traps a little better since they are less inclined to fouling when you pull them up.  The star traps won't close quite as well especially if the bottom is real bumpy.  The stars have a big advantage as they fold flat when not in use.
tankertal

Remember : The Moral Majority, is neither !

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 05:43:58 PM »

Thanks for the information.
P-Line Guy

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 09:12:50 PM »

my secret spot is just that.   SORRY BUT I CAN TELL YOU THAT IT IS in the town of lyme in a very secluded spot. never anyone crabbing there and the water seems to be very clean there. crabs are just as angry as they were when i get home after 8 hours in the bucket!!  lol. all 6"and up too. last year i only had to throw away 1 crab that was 4-3/4". all the other 72 were keepers.
Hay Buddy I'm glad your doing Well..I'm new to the whole crabbing game.The location would help alot rather then the tthe taunting.....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home