April 23, 2014, 06:08:00 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best time to crab?  (Read 60653 times)
Kiss_My_Tiara

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2008, 07:22:36 PM »

I began crabbing last summer for the first time since childhood.  I want to take my nephews but know they'll get impatient if we dont catch anything so I was wondering if it's better to crab on the incoming or outgoing tide?
Also, I've used string to catch them in the past but want to buy two large traps to set and wonder how much I should expect to pay for them? Where is the best place to purchase them in the Garden City/Murrells Inlet area?

Thank you in advance!  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 07:29:27 PM by Kiss_My_Tiara » Logged
Captain Crabs Alot

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 09:37:23 PM »

high tide is when you'll have the best crabbing. Preferably an hour before the peak of high tide which is when the water will be moving. also in maryland I know rec crabbers can't use pots, only traps so make sure you check your state's rules before you go. I am guessing that by large traps you mean a pot and they run any where from 20 to 35 dollars

good luck
Kiss_My_Tiara

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 11:02:46 PM »

high tide is when you'll have the best crabbing. Preferably an hour before the peak of high tide which is when the water will be moving. also in maryland I know rec crabbers can't use pots, only traps so make sure you check your state's rules before you go. I am guessing that by large traps you mean a pot and they run any where from 20 to 35 dollars

good luck

Thank you!  I'm getting my stuff together to go Saturday.
By "traps" I have used the one that you place the bait in the middle and the crabs go in thru the holes and trapped inside, they're made of something that looks like fencing.  Again, thank you.
Blue Claw Bandit

~love to get crabs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 11:22:38 PM »

If you’re from Murrells Inlet south of Myrtle Beach you will need to go to this web link and print it out and read it very closely. There are many laws in SC that we don't have in Delaware or Maryland.
The web link is:

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/licenses/pdf/CrabsFY2009.pdf .

Even though the web link says for FY2009 it is as you will see when you open it for FY 2008-2009.

Also if a new law has gone into effect after this document was published you are still required to follow that new law. You might say well I didn't know that law existed....this is inexcusable....you will still be fined for breaking any laws you did not become familiar with prior to crabbing.

Hey enough of this leagle [curd] and go catch some crabs   chef  I've got the steam ready to cook 'em

Blue Claw Bandit
~love to get crabs~
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 12:33:48 AM »

good luck , have fun . go catch them crabs.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Pinchy

Instructions: Hunt, fish, crab - rinse and repeat.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 07:32:31 AM »

Thank you!  I'm getting my stuff together to go Saturday.
By "traps" I have used the one that you place the bait in the middle and the crabs go in thru the holes and trapped inside, they're made of something that looks like fencing.  Again, thank you.

That's a pot. Better check SC regulations.

Please pack your trash out, pick up others', and leave your fishing spot cleaner than when you found it.
trink2030

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 07:34:52 AM »

tide charts...
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/access/tide_finder.html

trink2030

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 07:36:49 AM »

water depth charts...
http://demo.geogarage.com/noaa/
DOMNIKDYL
Lifetime Member

Tag! your it!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 07:46:34 AM »

Check the crab/ shellfish regs on this SCDNR document. Pages4-5 of the pdf.  Looks to me like residents can use upto 2 pots with out a license.   No catch limit and a min size of 5 inches point to point.  Interestingly, ONLY yellow floats of the proper size and material  are allowed.  Hope to be doing some crabbing in the Wando or Cooper river in sept.  Be down to build an addition for my sis and bro in law in Mt. Pleasant.  Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/pdf/saltfishing.pdf

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.
Kiss_My_Tiara

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 03:34:53 AM »

Thank you ALL for your help.  I have been crabbing three times now and have caught some.  They seem really small compared to last year but I was crabbing in the fall.   I put back the crabs under 5 inches and the females so they can be replenished.  Will they be larger in September/October?

I've had a tough time finding a place in Murrells Inlet since I don't have a boat. Any suggestions on spots close to Garden City, Pawleys Island?

Are fish heads better than chicken/turkey necks?

Thanks again, you guys are the best!!! Grin
TommyA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 08:12:19 AM »

I've always had good luck with chicken legs and wings. More meat and last longer. I've never used fish heads before but I would think that they would work just as well. Give it a try.
renduke

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 08:51:21 AM »

crabbing in NY has been very average this year compared to last year....don't know if the same is true there....i use chicken legs and or bunker fish and if they are around they will go for it.

STRICTNESS of Laws can vary depending on the place you are in.....up here in 25% of the places you need No License.....In Places where you need one they will normally limit a person to 3 box traps per person......on the other hand i am a long long way from your state......but the bait part holds true no matter where you are.

when is the best time to crab has been a big debate on this web site......crabbing can be fickle one day i'll get 4 in 3 hours then go to the same exact spot 3 days later (at the same time of day) and get 11 in 90 mins.......trust me the tide didn't change much in 3 days at the same 2 hour time frame.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home