October 01, 2014, 12:00:08 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to catch crabs for a weekend trip?  (Read 7585 times)
jnwaco

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2008, 12:10:42 PM »

Hi,

I'm going to Galveston for a few days with some family and we're going to fish and hang out, etc.  I'd like to do a little crabbing while we're down there.  I've caught crawfish using just a line and chicken neck before, but I wanted to try a trap to I can fish with a rod while checking the trap periodically.  There's a poultry plant here in Waco, so I'll be getting a good amount of turkey necks to use.

1) Do the hoop traps work well?  I was thinking I could make one on my own, maybe, or try to pick one up somewhere. 
2) Should I ice the bait until we start crabbing, or should it "ferment" for a while?
3) If I wanted to put out a trap, and my cousin wants to put out a trap, and my uncle wants to put out a trap, say on different sides of a jetty, do they still have to be 100' apart if we're kind of all in it together?

Everyone will have a license and I want to make sure we don't break the law or anything.

I kind of waited until the last minute to start the research, since we're leaving Thursday, but I have time to throw together a trap if there's a simple design someone can point me to. 

gerald

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 09:59:30 PM »

I've tried several methods but the best way I've found to catch crabs is take a five gallon bucket and put it in a innertube or on the back of a kayak , pull it along behind you and just walk through the shallows looking for crabs and dipping them up as you see them..dont forget to put back the ones with eggs(orange cluster  underneath the apron)...have fun and only handle them the right way..they ABSOLUTELY will pinch through a fingernail....(the right way?) from the top use your thumb and index finger across the back on the outside of the swimming fins..and still be careful...gerald
dfran

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 07:23:58 AM »

Best thing to start with is post this in the Gulf Coast Crabbing section on this forum. Good luck.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home