November 29, 2014, 02:12:51 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Potomac river commercial license  (Read 2524 times)
rock n crab

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2004, 02:27:20 PM »

Does anyone on this board crab the Potomac river much? I know crab-clam does or knows someone who does..... Is it worth running a trotline in the Potomac? I never see anyone doing it, it is always pots...... Has always been pots as long as I can remember....
I was checking on a PRFC commercial pot license that I know of, someone is selling it but I really don't want to run pots...... I called the PRFC to ask if it could be used for a trotline and they told me no but I could buy the $50.00 commercial trotline license and be set..... It is not a limited issue license like it is on the Chesapeake bay and tribs.... Anyone can get this license and it allows you to run unlimited length trotline, unlimited catch and run 1 hour before sunrise to sunset.... you do not have to take a day off like the chesapeake bay regs require and you are able to sell your crabs if you choose to do so. But, it is only good for the Potomac river......
I may run the line on the Potomac in a few days to see if it is worth it, I know a few muddy bottom areas that may be good.... I will report....

20' SeaMark CC 90HP Honda
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 03:03:04 PM »

RnC, I have been using traps for more than twenty years. I started using a trotline this year and I don't think I'll go back to traps. I started out in July catching a 1/2 bushel in 7-8 hours. After improving my technique & equipment, I can catch two bushels in as little as 4-5 hours. I can work the line by myself and it has made crabbing a lot more fun. Everything you need (anchors, chains, baited line & floats) fits into two 5 gallon buckets. Baiting up a 600' line with 150 baits takes me a half hour the night before. You should give it a try. I can give you some more help if you need it.
rock n crab

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 08:33:04 PM »

thanks BI, I too use a trotline, just not in the Potomac River.... The license I was looking to buy was for POTs only... they sell the 50.00 commercial trotline license that I was thinking of getting but was wondering why I never see anyone running trotlines in the Potomac..... Thanks for the help, maybe we can get together one day and share techniques, I'm sure there is plenty to improve upon with my setup....Seems I learn something everytime I go run the line with another trorliner... take care.

Darrell

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 10:26:08 PM »

Hi RNC. I have trotlined the main Potomac several times
Across from Quantico Marine Base, at Morgantown  Port Tobacco (On the main river) Pt Lookout. Any way I have never had any luck at all . too much current on the main river, too many snags on the bottom in some places and too many crab pots.. When I see crab pots I never have any good luck. Its like theres not enough crabs to trotline the area but if you leave a pot out for two days ok. Now in the Va waters (creeks there may be crabs) but I thought Va restricts trotlinbes to 300 ft with a special rec crab license what you can get and a commerciual license in Va wait for some one to die. You told me some things at the crab party about the PFC license and frankly I am some what still confused by all the regs. If you can get a license for 50 dollars and want to give it try go for it as you may find out something . trotlining is  a lost art on the commercials on the Potomac because there all running traps. Let us know the regs and how it goes. On my boat I have th Maryland Chesapeake Bay boat sticker and I have a Va fresh water fishing license and a DC fish license. That PRFC stuff is pretty confusing anhd has to do mainly with the main body of the river.
Darrell

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 10:30:04 PM »

Grin Gee now I am more confused Pots only.. only 50 dollars for anyone? I thought they were restricted in number of licenses out??? Let us know! If thats all there is too it no wonder the river shore is full of pots.
Black Irish

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 12:42:00 AM »

thanks BI, I too use a trotline, just not in the Potomac River.... The license I was looking to buy was for POTs only... they sell the 50.00 commercial trotline license that I was thinking of getting but was wondering why I never see anyone running trotlines in the Potomac..... Thanks for the help, maybe we can get together one day and share techniques, I'm sure there is plenty to improve upon with my setup....Seems I learn something everytime I go run the line with another trorliner... take care.

Anytime, RnC. Always helps to see and learn from somebody else and I'd love to put our heads together. This year is winding down down fast and my weekends are really getting filled up from Crabtember thru Roctober  Grin. Next spring let's hit that first run around Mother's Day!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 12:39:50 PM »

Va 300 ft trotline license is $8.00 available at any fishing license dealer

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 12:41:20 PM »

I'd love to put our heads together.

Aint that sweet Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
rock n crab

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 10:10:13 AM »

Maryland sells the Crab license at any sporting goods store that is good for 1200' of trotline, cost of license is $5.00
Thi sis the MAryland DNR crabbing license good for the Chesapeake Bay and its tribs. License is good for 1 bushel of crabs
that my friend is sweet! And Maryland doesn't charge the Va folks to come into our great state via the Harry Nice Bridge... Smiley
LOL

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home