April 24, 2014, 01:28:10 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Hunting Dog  (Read 1696 times)
marysue1227

I'm not stooopid!

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2008, 09:08:07 PM »

I'm sitting here reading and I hear my dog yelping a little. Look outside and he has a good size rabbit. So far in the last two years that dog has brought home 2 rabbits, 3 squirrels (one he brought in the house),10 birds (1 still alive he brought in my house), several mice and 1 turtle (Don't ask me where he got that from). He also killed 1 goose at the park. He got off the leash and swam up and down the Magothy river until the DNR people got a boat and got him out.

My house has a fenced in yard and it isn't that big. He caught all that stuff off my little .14 acre lot. Can you imagine the stuff he would bring home if I lived in the woods? Plus he swam up and down the river for 45 min when he killed that goose. Guess I should learn to duck hunt.

I'd rather be crabbing!!  Wink

Calm seas do not make a skilled sailor!

Don't start none! Won't be none!
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 09:10:52 PM »

Sounds like you have a natural born hunting dog there, what breed is it?

My sisters cat would bring birds and rabbits and leave it on our neighbors door steps when we lived in town houses.

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Temple
crabbing4fun

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 09:12:36 PM »

I'm sitting here reading and I hear my dog yelping a little. Look outside and he has a good size rabbit. So far in the last two years that dog has brought home 2 rabbits, 3 squirrels (one he brought in the house),10 birds (1 still alive he brought in my house), several mice and 1 turtle (Don't ask me where he got that from). He also killed 1 goose at the park. He got off the leash and swam up and down the Magothy river until the DNR people got a boat and got him out.

My house has a fenced in yard and it isn't that big. He caught all that stuff off my little .14 acre lot. Can you imagine the stuff he would bring home if I lived in the woods? Plus he swam up and down the river for 45 min when he killed that goose. Guess I should learn to duck hunt.You dont need to learn how to hunt as all you have to do is open the door for your dog when it returns home Smiley
marysue1227

I'm not stooopid!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 09:14:27 PM »

The dog is an English Lab Mix. Not sure what he is mixed with. He has really tall legs.
Yeah I guess you are right I don't need to learn how to hunt. I can just let him do it.  laugh

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 10:14:39 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh Free dinner without wasting a shot or being out in the cold.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
marysue1227

I'm not stooopid!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 12:50:47 PM »

Found out why he was yelping. Bunny rabbit didn't go down without a fight. Got the dog on the nose pretty good. Had to clean it out. Dog didn't like that much.

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 01:09:48 PM »

OUCH !!!!!!!!!! is he Ok Huh?

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 03:09:12 PM »

I hope his shots are up to date.  Especially Rabies.  Huh

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 03:13:59 PM »

I hope his shots are up to date.  Especially Rabies.  Huh

I was thinking of that. flee and tick treatment too.
I hope hes OK don't want to be infected.

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Temple
marysue1227

I'm not stooopid!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 07:20:26 PM »

Yea. He just got his rabies shot in the spring. I cleaned the wound really good so it won't get infected.

Dreampixels
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 11:42:51 PM »

Yea. He just got his rabies shot in the spring. I cleaned the wound really good so it won't get infected.

Is it a bite or a scratch? See I had a dog when I was a child but my mom made us get rid of. Well one day I saw this rabbit and decided to catch it. So I run it down and corner into a fence and reach down and snagged it behind the neck like you might pick up a puppy or kitten.

Well this is not the way to pick up a full grown wild rabbit. It was summer time and I had on a short sleeve shirt, that rabbit had me ripped open from amy wrists to just above my ebows in seconds. Before I knoew I was scratched once him machine gunned me to shreds with this back legs.

I learned a huge lesson there, now I make my wife when long sleeves to catch me rabbits...........

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan

"Because I walk only in my shoes I enjoy Controversy. It allows me to view the minds and souls of others." Dreampixels

Extremist think "Communication" means agreeing with them. Leo Rosten
marysue1227

I'm not stooopid!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 12:04:18 AM »

I couldn't tell if it was a scratch or a bite. It didn't look too bad after I cleaned it. Looks good today. Not too deep. I went to go find the rabbit after I posted but the big dummy (that's what I call him and being the big dummy he is he comes when I call him it) hid the rabbit from me. I guess I'll find it when I go out and clean the leaves in the yard or when it starts to smell.  sick

marysue1227

I'm not stooopid!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 12:06:01 AM »

Is it a bite or a scratch? See I had a dog when I was a child but my mom made us get rid of. Well one day I saw this rabbit and decided to catch it. So I run it down and corner into a fence and reach down and snagged it behind the neck like you might pick up a puppy or kitten.

Well this is not the way to pick up a full grown wild rabbit. It was summer time and I had on a short sleeve shirt, that rabbit had me ripped open from amy wrists to just above my ebows in seconds. Before I knoew I was scratched once him machine gunned me to shreds with this back legs.

I learned a huge lesson there, now I make my wife when long sleeves to catch me rabbits...........

Did you just call your wife a dog?  laugh laugh You better get that time machine up and running soon or you might be sleeping with the dog or with the crabs. laugh laugh laugh

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 12:06:19 AM »

Glad to here he is Ok.  Wink

Dreampixels
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 01:12:13 AM »

Did you just call your wife a dog?  laugh laugh You better get that time machine up and running soon or you might be sleeping with the dog or with the crabs. laugh laugh laugh

I need to double up on my zoloft, my spelling sucks when I hurry, geeeeeeezzzzzzzz I sure pick bad a nite to quit drinking

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan

"Because I walk only in my shoes I enjoy Controversy. It allows me to view the minds and souls of others." Dreampixels

Extremist think "Communication" means agreeing with them. Leo Rosten
crabnrich

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 07:43:22 AM »

Put a bell on his collar - worked for our cat. I am a hunter, fisherman and crabber but don't see anything "cute" about a dog killing all these animals for no reason. mho.
marysue1227

I'm not stooopid!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 09:14:11 AM »

He doesn't kill them for no reason. He eats them and brings home what's left.

You make it seem as if the dog is evil or something. He is doing what animals are supposed to do. They kill other animals for food. He's not doing it because he's mean and vicious. It is his instinct. His nature. Dogs are hunters by nature. 

I am amazed that the dog can catch animals being as he is domesticated and never been hunting. I don't see anything wrong with one animal killing another in it's own territory. No different then wolves, bears, or cougars. I don't let my dog run loose. He is doing this in my own yard. His own territory.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 09:22:26 AM by marysue1227 » Logged

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 09:18:59 AM »

Next time your in the grocery store look for the isle that says "dog  food".   Wink laugh

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
marysue1227

I'm not stooopid!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 09:23:36 AM »

Next time your in the grocery store look for the isle that says "dog  food".   Wink laugh

I feed that dummy plenty Jack. He just likes to supplement his diet I guess.  laugh laugh

mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 03:29:18 PM »

I tried to teach my dog to be a hunting dog but after two years, he still can't shoot for shet.   Grin Grin Grin

but he do like to drink his beer  Grin Grin

I guess he's as much a hunter as I am  laugh laugh laugh laugh

still can't figure my dogs love beer -- besides the buzz of course   laugh laugh laugh
dreirden

May god bless the crabber!!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 04:04:04 PM »

Ever seen the movie Cujo?Huh
 Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Roll Eyes

Davo the DE crab machine.  IF THERE IS A CRAB TO BE CAUGHT, MY BOAT AND I WILL BE THERE!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home