September 19, 2014, 05:46:38 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Crabbing in SW FLORIDA .. JUNE 2009  (Read 6792 times)
prosh442

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »

Im try to catch some crab on and around Sanibel Captiva Islands.There must be someone out there doing the same..I had some luck off of a seawall in pine island sound. I dont have a boat.I have pull up traps and 1 2x2x2 crab pot. They say that The Ding Darling Preserve has crabs of plenty,but no traps or bait allowed  Embarassed If anyone knows some good areas or has a boat and wants to go crabbing let me know.. Thanks ,Paul
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:36:18 AM by prosh442, Reason: put a date » Logged
fla chicken necker

Love those Jimmy's

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 08:01:28 PM »

My brother vacations at Sanibel and always catches them at Ding Darling. He only uses a dip net, which according to him is legal on the refuge. Give it a try, got nothing to loose.

Al

HATE THE HAWK---NOT THE HAWK'ER!
prosh442

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 08:28:48 PM »

Thanks Al.I have tried 3 times at DingDarling ,haven't seen a crab yet !! Everyone I talk to,comm crabbers,seafood dealers,and bait shops say the Blue crab fishing is the worst they have seen in a long time..some blame the water conditions, some blame the cold snaps we had in the winter! But what ever it is. It looks like a bad season for them ,statewide !!where are you in Florida ? How is the season there ? When does your brother usually catch them here? Thanks for the info !!!! Paul
metallica81186

Get Er Done!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 02:35:55 AM »

im from maryland and tried a bunch of spots at sanibel and captiva islands last summer(beginning of July). most luck was a 2 inch and 4 inch blue crab.the preserve is a waste of time if your looking for crabs( which u already stated no bait or traps) ...it's fast running shallow water for the most part. Every bait shop i talked to had no clue about crabbing but said there might be a few.  Fishing on the other hand is great down there you'll catch stuff youd never imagine. especially snook
masspi

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 05:20:55 AM »

I have a friend who does pretty good in Estoro Bay near New Pass
prosh442

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 10:22:05 AM »

I just bought some crabs which were caught it estero bay..Real nice ones,heres the biggest one in the bunch..8.5"
rothshome

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 12:13:01 PM »

Is there any good crabbing from shore around Cape Coral, North Fort Myers, or Pine Island?
6 years ago I crabbed in some of the salt water canals in the Cape with great success but have not seen any in many years.
My son and I just searched some of the canals that had been good for crabbing but none were seen.

prosh442

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 12:30:22 PM »

Try the caloosahatchee river either from a boat or pier.Looks like thats where they are.
rothshome

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »

Have you tried or heard of any piers from the Cape Coral side of the river that have been good? I do not currently have a boat either.
Or any particular piers or seawalls that have been good anywhere near here?
prosh442

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 12:59:32 PM »

I'm in the same boat your in,NO BOAT !! I caught a few from the bay side of Sanibel but never tried Cape coral..I have been looking on Google earth ,find a place that looks promising and check it out..The base of the mid point bridge may be good.I did find this study done in 2006 of the Blue Crab in Estero bay.on pg 46/47 shows the positioning of Comm crabber pots in the river
Click here: http://www.sccf.org/files/downloads/3514_TechReport.pdf
rothshome

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 01:42:28 PM »

Thanks.
I will check under the Midpoint bridge and along the seawall at the boat launch across the canal from there.

The chart on the location of commercial crab pots was very interesting. From that I may check a few other shore locations.

I need a crabbing net. Do you know where to get a good one at low cost? Or a used one?
prosh442

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 01:44:29 PM »

Pepole say Walmart has that stuff for crabbing..Traps and nets..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home