October 22, 2014, 09:32:57 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is the best place to crab in Navarre Florida??  (Read 2484 times)
JMKDMK

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2009, 11:53:54 AM »

I am fairly new to crabbing down here but not sure what areas are the best for gaining good results..Put a trap out on Saturday afternoon in the intercoastal waterway at Navarre beach and had 3 good sized crabs after an hour so we left the trap there overnight.  Came back the next day and the same 3 were still in there with no newcomers??  how can that be.  any help would be appreciated.  Thx
Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 08:20:06 PM »

The three crabs you left in the trap communicated a distress call, warning off their brothers. You should have removed them after they found out the trap was not a two story condo with free food.
Always remove the crabs after checking trap, and rebait with fresh fish.
Find the mud and the crabs will find your trap.

Cc

Say brother....can you spare a crab...
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 03:29:06 PM »

The three crabs you left in the trap communicated a distress call, warning off their brothers. You should have removed them after they found out the trap was not a two story condo with free food.
Always remove the crabs after checking trap, and rebait with fresh fish.
Find the mud and the crabs will find your trap.

Cc

I never heard that crabs will communicate a distress call, all they know is that they are eating. Also bay grasses are the blue crabs habitat. You will have more luck in bay grasses then mud.

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Temple
Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 06:47:04 PM »

If you pull your trap, or if someone pulls your trap to see what is in it, the crabs will go in escape mode. I had a friend check my trap at 9 am, and told me I had a dozen crabs in it. When I pulled it at 10 am, there were three left that didnt find there way out. If you want to catch crabs in your traps, probe the bottom with a pole to find the muddy area, sometimes if you place your trap and than move it a few feet after checking it, you will be off the good crabbing spot. Its that critical. Grass is where the nursery is. Mature male crabs prefer fresher water, and mud.
Best bait would be the bloodiest fish you can catch. Go to the fishing pier in Navarre and catch some ladyfish, or bonito, or bluefish, or hardtails and bait your trap with that.

Cc

Say brother....can you spare a crab...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home