July 31, 2014, 03:36:00 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: norfolk/ virginia beach location?  (Read 5442 times)
dmpls79

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2009, 10:27:08 AM »

I started crabbing last year at lesner bridge and was able to catch a ggod amount. But this year I was only able to go about a month ago and caught only 1 crab in 2 hrs  Cry

I was wondering if lesner is better now or if anybody knows any other location around virginia beach and norfolk area to go to that are free. I read some other posts in this forum but it seems most people are crabbing EVERYWHERE but virginia beach. =)
Arg38

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 09:12:23 PM »

I started crabbing last year at lesner bridge and was able to catch a ggod amount. But this year I was only able to go about a month ago and caught only 1 crab in 2 hrs  Cry

I was wondering if lesner is better now or if anybody knows any other location around virginia beach and norfolk area to go to that are free. I read some other posts in this forum but it seems most people are crabbing EVERYWHERE but virginia beach. =)

Well, I went crabbing in First Landing state park. (off Shore Dr) Well, Sorta did. They have a parking fee, but during week usually no one at stations. Not really sure what happens if you don't voluntarily pay and take a parking ticket, nothing I would guess  as I've been there tons with no volunteer collecting parking but was there to hike/etc.  I paid sometimes though but not others, but always took a ticket. I also learned they are all volunteers, so they there on weekends especially. If I remember correctly it's $4 weekday and $5 for weekend.  It's a nice park for hiking/sightseeing, have been there a few times before my re interest in crabbing, though crabbing I've been told (and seen) is best in the "narrows" area. (a different entrance to the park)  The boat launch area and not so much the trail, biking, etc area. The docks there have "no crabbing" posted (on the docks)

There were commercial crabbers there too, passing through - and a lot of shore crabbers. I was ill equipped with many ring net traps and a very strong current from the shore - but I do admit the one hand line I used had a crab on it pretty often, enough to seem a good spot.  And lots of others nearby wading out. Some had poles setup with string between them, out in the water.   It's also a very "popular" spot, not just for crabbing, but for jetskiiers and everything else, so take that into consideration too.

Guess it kind of depends how you want to crab. I'm thinking about going there with a bunch of handlines/net..... but ...

People there did have a few dozen crabs to show in their buckets, they said they were there a few hours. I can't recall the tides when I was there, but there was a strong current.  Another group had a steamer going as they caught.

I dunno if that was an odd ocurance, and can't speak to how typical that is, but they do charge for parking most of the time and I've only been there once with interest to crabbing.  Can go here if interested in checking it out, I don't really recommend or discourage it, just my experience there.

www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/fir.shtml

But look at park map, and look for "The narrows" and that's the area I'm talking about, between boat launch and "beach" which won't be on map, but is obvious when there.

==

Tomorrow, I'm thinking of checking out Lynhaven pier, and see if it's worth it. Paid pier, so sucks. But I also want to saltwater fish, learning there - only about 5 times saltwater fishing :p Will let ya know compared to Newport News, great bridge free areas.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:22:07 PM by Arg38 » Logged
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 09:46:40 PM »

ID GO BACK TO THE LOCKS PARK AND TRY THE MARINA SIDE
39 CRABS IN 3 HRS
Arg38

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 09:51:27 PM »

ID GO BACK TO THE LOCKS PARK AND TRY THE MARINA SIDE
39 CRABS IN 3 HRS

What is the "LOCKS PARK"?

Lots of Locks... You said same thing before

You referring to you caught 39 crabs in 3 hours from Great Bridge Loch park - on the marina side of the park?

I was responding with my VA Beach/Norfolk experience  --- First Landing in VA beach.

And try out Lynhaven pier tomorrow maybe day after.

Edit: Ok, Looked at previous posts, probably not a bot that I suspected you might be :p  But I still wonder what Lock Crab Guy is referring to, he replied before, to my GB one, and wondering if that's where he personally caught crabs at....... Neither here nor there for the VA Beach/Norfolk person.   I went there three times, and was awful. Through low to high beyond.  Ended up throwing all them back, not enough to eat, and a few not even legal -  other people nearby just had a few too.  And for that matter, no bites on fishing. Others near same luck.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:17:20 PM by Arg38 » Logged
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:45:25 PM »

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php/topic,31966.25.html
YES GREAT BRIDGE LOCKS PARK
IVE BEEN CRABBING THERE SINCE 1982 SO YOU CAN SAY IVE PERSONALY CAUGHT CRABS THERE, THOUSANDS OF THEM
THE BIGEST CRABS IN HAMPTON ROADS COME FROM THIS WATER!
SO OK WHAT WERE YOU USING FOR BAIT?

Arg38

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 07:43:10 PM »

IVE BEEN CRABBING THERE SINCE 1982 SO YOU CAN SAY IVE PERSONALY CAUGHT CRABS THERE, THOUSANDS OF THEM

I used chicken legs, thighs and a bunch of 1 day old whole fish, that I had previously caught. And sliced them up with a knife good to release the goodness.

Wasn't very good, and now I been there three times, staying for a long time. It's pretty bad..... I ended up just throwing back most of them and then not really having enough that I even want to eat, so just gave them to someone there. Biggest, I find hard to believe, as all the times I been there no one has them, except a sad bunch of teeny crabs, most illegal. Guess rangers don't come around there often.

Just my experience there. Glad you did better.... Maybe just unlucky, though spent about 20 hours there total really nothing to show for it.  Did lock side 1.5 times ( between lock and bridge) marina side 1x and did between lock and boat launch .5 times.  The fact that I SEE crabbers there a lot suggests it's good - but maybe just bad luck. But all the times I visit them, and they got like nothing.

At least the other place, I get dozens and dozens of big and heavy ones and can eat crab for a few days.  Commercial crab pots are ALL around the pier, so seems they know something.  Though, it varies from a near bushel on great days to just a few dozen keepers over many hours. 

Haven't been able to get to Lynhaven yet, was planning on already going there already -- trying to find out rules of how many pots and stuff, and want to buy some wire pots....

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 08:00:21 PM by Arg38 » Logged
Arg38

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 11:29:55 PM »

I went here again yesterday (GB Lock Park). And made me regret it.

I recently got wire ring traps and some stakes, that I wanted before going back and more string.

I planted 5 wire ring hand traps right at the lock, to bridge. Put a crab trap there too.

I put  5 string ring traps further down.

I put 5 ring string traps on marinia side.

I put 2 handlines (net scap) that I moved a few times. , but between the marina ones on and lock ones.

I also fished ocassionally. (No nibbles).

I was there for 8 hours. Trap caught illegals when I pulled it up. . And I still mostly threw back illegals. I got 11 keepers, but all of them were pretty small sooks and two barely legal jimmys.  I kept them this time, but again feel cheated.

This is NOT a good spot, sorry. Monitor overlook pier is a zillion times better. But can be bad, but not as bad as there.   Unless i'm the most unluckiest person ever.  And everyone around me too.

It's god awful, unless I'm missing something? Like you are using cheetoes or something as bait and hauling up the #1 jimmys.

Maybe later on or something it's great or seasonal? Dunno, but sucks now.

(Now that I found wire traps, not sure if I want to go to a popular pier on the weekend, and if I pay, I'll be there for at least 14 hours principle of it  :p)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 11:40:28 PM by Arg38 » Logged
TIDEGIRL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 11:33:49 AM »

Going crabbing this weekend off the Lynnhaven Pier on Friday and on Saturday will cast on a Head boat $29.00 a head for a day of fishing and crabbing after that, heading home on Sunday night.  I'll update you on the catch Monday laugh 

There is Crabbing in Tidewater!!!! Smiley
Jeff_The_Hokie

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 01:46:25 PM »

I started crabbing last year at lesner bridge and was able to catch a ggod amount. But this year I was only able to go about a month ago and caught only 1 crab in 2 hrs  Cry

I think your problem is the timing, not the location. I tried a month ago (Hampton not the Lesner) - nothing, two weeks ago- one keeper, and one week ago- a dozen jimmies. It is still early in the season.

Oops- didn't notice how old the original post was- nevermind.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 01:56:00 PM by Jeff_The_Hokie » Logged
kisa360

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 11:46:57 AM »

My wife and I are going to be staying in VA Beach with a couple friends in August of this year. We will be staying at a beach house 2416 Sandfiddler Road. I would like to know if there is anyplace close that would be good for crabbing. I guess I could always try the ocean since it is right out the back door, but I am a chicken necker at heart and I don't know how well that particular method would work in the ocean surf. If I have to I will just go buy some crabs but it so much more rewarding having caught them yourself.
Crabby Joe

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 12:41:07 AM »

I've been told Rudee Inlet. Also i'm staying 2 blocks from you. I might haave to try First Landing as well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home