October 01, 2014, 04:17:26 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbing in the Delaware river?  (Read 15949 times)
ReelQuick

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2005, 03:24:32 PM »

Im from Pa near Philly International air port.I fish the Del near the ComBaryBridge.Checking the Pa regulation book and there are crabbing reg`s.Any one ever crab the Del?They warn you about eating out of there Lips Sealed Thank`s

Don`t dry your hand`s on the cat.Seemed like a good idea at the time!
fred

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 03:32:01 PM »

I used to crab a Pennsylvania tributary off the delaware river all the time when I was younger.  My aunt and uncle had a place in prospect park, pa and we would catch a full bushel of crabs from their dock if we hit the tide right.  Back then we didnt worry that much about eating them and since crabs should be migratory in this area, I would say that eating them wouldnt be bad for you.  I would catch sunfish and then bait my traps with them and just toss them off the dock.  Good memories my friend!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 05:53:24 PM by fred » Logged
mikesr

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 09:53:49 AM »

There are quite a few spots on the De River.  The problem is competition.   Take the boat ride and count the pot markers. Shocked   Your best bet is south of the C&D Canal.  You need a shallow draft boat to crab the mouth of the creeks and rivers that drain into the De River.  After passing the canal the first late season spot is the Appoquinimink River, watch your depth finder.  Then the mouth of the Leipsic River, little creek to the south past Dover.  I have not read any advisories on eating crabs from the river.  There are a few commercial guys that work the area from both sides of the river. 
ReelQuick

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 11:52:56 AM »

Propect park thats close to me(clifton heights) small world.Thanks guy`s time to get the maps out.

Phillyguy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 12:33:23 PM »

I grew up in Yeadon, live in Havertown, go to Marrows (Ridley Park ramp) every once in a while.

I gotta tell you, I hate TOUCHING that water.  I know I'm over reacting, but if I get hit with bow spray from that dam river water, all I want to do is go home and take a shower.  Soutwest sewage plant, oil spills Gulf, Sunoco, Navy Yard, Maffia bodies, not to metion huge logs and other debri floating down that river, it is just a mess.

Boater have told me that the Del Bay closer to Cape May is much clearer over the last 20 years.  I guess all the [curd] from Philly must get diluted by the time it reaches the lower bay.  Up by Philly, its just concentrated [curd]!

In less then 2 hours you can take your boat to some pretty clean water and beautiful crabs.  South Jersey shores are ok, crabs are small, water is fair.  Elk Neck is only 1 hour away, but crabbing is slow until late in the year; sometimes never starts at all.  The Wye is about 2.5 hours, but can be very rewarding.  Based on this site, seems like may places in between, but I've never been.  Chester River, Gun Powder River, they seem to be north of the Wye and South of Elk Neck.

If you trailer your boat, hook it up and go for a ride.  There is a whole lot of water to explore out there.

Side note, I've never been to the Delaware beaches, from Philly it seems just as easy quick (long) to get to the C. Bay then the Del Beachs and the crabbing seems to be better in the C Bay, BUT I DON'T KNOW.  Maybe others on this site can update us on what the Delaware Beaches are like.

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 06:51:16 AM »

I grew up in Upland, went to Eddystone high and Ridley, When I was younger years ago my Dad and I wse to go crabbing at woodland beach, caught some real nice crabs there, don"t know if they crab there because its been  yeeeeears since I have been there,

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 08:51:22 AM »

there are few crabbing regulations in PA because if you eat crabs from philly waters.... THE PUNISHMENT FITS THE CRIME!  as long as you dont plan on having more kids, knock yourself out. dont worry, tumors from eating PCBs take 20 years to develop.

yes there are plenty of health advisories in DE river, that is why the fishing is so good there.

fred

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 09:23:19 AM »

i'd have to say that crabs are migratory in this area, especially up north like prospect park.  thats why there are creel limits and advisories, but i would not hesitate to eat crabs every now and again from this area, but that is my two cents.  its not like the chesapeake is the cleanest body of water, hence the reason for the grass dying cause of all the farmer run-off.  To each there own.  One-hitter!
mikesr

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 09:31:15 AM »

The advisories I have read are for the De river fish. Lips Sealed   Have not read any crab advisories.  Oysters, that's different.

From De DNREC:
"On March 4, 2004, Delaware and New Jersey issued a fish consumption advisory for certain species of fish caught in the Delaware River and Delaware Bay.  The advisory recommends that no one should eat fish caught from the Delaware Estuary north of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal up to the Pennsylvania border.  South of the C&D Canal, the advisory recommends that no one should eat large bluefish (larger than 6 pounds or 24 inches).  Also for the area south of the C&D Canal, the general public is advised to eat no more than 1 meal per year of striped bass, smaller bluefish (smaller than 6 lbs. or 24 inches), white perch American eel, channel catfish and white catfish.  Further, women of childbearing age and children are advised not to eat any striped bass, bluefish, white perch, American eel, channel catfish and white catfish if those fish are caught anywhere below the PA border in the Delaware Estuary."
fred

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 10:37:31 AM »

thats what i heard too mike sr.  i've also heard, but dont know if its true, that crabs have the ability to filter much more than fish.  anybody ever hear anything about that?
Phillyguy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 10:41:20 AM »

I don't know, one meal per year kind-a-said it all.  Not once a week or once a month ONCE A YEAR, must be some bad stuff in that river.  And that is only south of the C&D, north, don't eat at all.  Since crabs feed on the dead fish, I would think they would be worst!  But I don't know.

Holy [curd], I mean Crab, PAFBC HAS CRABBING REGS FOR THE DELAWARE!  4inch hard, 3.5 soft; season all year, one bushel limit per day.

PA HOME PAGE IS
http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/mpag1.htm
search for 'CRAB' to get the regs.

NO, DON'T TELL ME THE CRABS I GET LOCAL CAME OUT OF THAT DAM RIVER!

That it, I want a new law, all crabs must be stamped right across their backs with their water of origin!  Where is Congress when you need them, get off the baseball thing and start looking into inter-state crabbing!

All joking aside, I just could not bring myself to eating a crab from the Delaware, yes I know I'm nuts, but...

Lets hope the weather warms up soon, so we can start our spring and summer fun early!

mikesr

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 10:45:09 AM »

Clean them before you cook them. Wink 

ReelQuick

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 04:41:06 PM »

Philly guy ,Crabs with liscense plates? I`m dying over here :laugh:I water ski in that river and I fall down ALOT!The striper come to that part of the river every year to spawn,the water can`t be that bad.The stock gets better every year.I still take a couple every year to eat,grilled of couse.It`s funny the fish I get from the ocean  have red leesions,the ones from the Del are clean?There was a report about a year ago that said milk was bad for you.Live life,But I`m gonna try Delaware this year for some crabs!Thank`s for the laugh I needed that. 

Phillyguy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 09:41:33 AM »

Hay ReeQuick

There is nothing I want more then for the river to get cleaner.  I hope this last oil spill does not set it back too far.  I saw someone tubing in the river once, never saw someone waterski in the Delaware.  When you waterski, where do you go, near little 'T' island or futher down by the CB bridge?  Lots of debri in the river, during last year floods I saw full tree trunks floating by the Ridley Park Ramp.  Made me nurvise in a boat, not to metion on skies.

I've been going to Blue Marsh Dam to wakeboard with my son.  It is up by Reading.  A little far, but a nice little place.  Another place we go is Flat Rock Dam, just upstream for boat house row.  A handfull of people wakeboard there.

Do you trailer your boat?  If so, where do you launch on the Delaware, R.P., Chester?  Do you know of any good places to launch further south in Delaware (state)?  I know there is a ramp on the Christina River in W., but I've never been.  I've never been south of the CB (on a boat), I want to check it out, but I rather start/ramp further down the river.

Anyway, back to crabing.  I would love to find a GOOD place to crab close by.  I try to make crabing quality time with the family, but a 2 hour drive can put everyone on edge before we get their (wye river).  If you find a nice quite place (on the delaware) to relax with the family and catch a few crabs in the process let PLEASE me know.  It would be great for a quick trip with the family.

Side note, have you tried the chicken processing place off of 95 (by CB bridge) for backs and necks?  I would like to try it, but I never seem to get there.  If you have, what is it like?  Is it worth going?

If you see a SeaDoo Challenger 2000 on the river, say hello, its me.
ReelQuick

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 05:44:51 PM »

I put in at ridley,it`s only 10 minutes from the house,and yes you have to be careful,my freind has a jet boat that we ski out of near the island.Never after the spring storms.To many aligator`s(thats what we call tree trunks and telephone poles).To us it`s the shore.........well kinda ,without the driveand the price tag.                   I have 2 boats as of now,a 12 ft aluminum v- hull,like the rental boats with a 7.5 no trailer it fits in the p\u.And my old reliable 16ft. herblin with a 50 that I use for crabbing and fishing.The only place I crab is in sommers point NJ,in the back creeks and do OK.Nothing like what I see you guys doing on the wye.My best day was 3\4  bushel with hand lines and 1 pot that only got about 12 .I used to leave them over night  but they would be robbed.Chicken out did the bunker. I am tired of the ride to NJ and would like to just jump on 95 and try my luck at Delaware.I have never crabbed in Del. and you were the first to respond with spots.I`m getting ready to pu a 22 cuddy so I can stay over night.I didn`t ever hear about the chicken plant?I was going to ask on the bass barn  a fishing sight, about del. crabbing .I`ll get back to you with any info.

mikesr

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2005, 11:54:40 AM »

Even sadder is the fact that some of the tributaries, Red Clay, in northern Delaware that empty in to the De River are dead.
Phillyguy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2005, 12:31:36 PM »

poultry place is call YANKS FARMS 2102 CONCORD ROAD FELLONVILLE.  Someone asked about it on this site before, I've never got a chance to get their.  They are in the yellow pages.  I'm always running out the last minute to buy bait, I would like to buy some from them (if the price is right) and keep it around.

I do most of my crabbing in OCNJ mainly by 34st bridge.  I don't get to the Wye very often, every year I say I'm going to go more and more and I never do.

We have so much within a 2hour drive, I want to try them all.  But OCNJ is always my fallback.

You have to try Blue Marsh (not marsh creek).  It is very nice, cheap (~5.00 on weekends), bathrooms, showers, (although I've never used them).  Overall a nice place, but because of the drive, it is an all day event.

fred

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2005, 12:41:25 PM »

i get all my necks from yanks
ReelQuick

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2005, 04:32:55 PM »

Philly, small world!Thats were I crab!I go in the back just pass the fuel dock.I`m the same way ..I want to try Del but always find my self going back there!I did put a post on the other page and anm waiting for a response.Didn`t forget you.Dolphin dock turned me on to that spot.

Phillyguy

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2005, 02:16:50 PM »

ReelQuick

I go out at Tenn Ave ramp and head toward the 34th bridge.  Pass AllSeasons (gas dock) on my right, go under the 34th bridge and set anchor at the mouth of the first creek on the right.  Sometimes head up the creek toward Yeasterdays, etc.  Always do ok, nothing great but ok.

I also go to Lulam Bay (I spelled it wrong) in sea Isle.  Water is shalow, everyone run-a-ground, but crabbing is ok.

I can not wait to put the boat in.  With a little luck I may put it in over Easter.  Will need ColdGear but...

Ramp prices in OC are getting high, may get a season pass this year.  Any experiance with a season pass?

keep in touch, out paths may cross on the water.

Al
mikesr

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2005, 02:42:27 PM »

Phillyguy,   

In Delaware you can launch from Augistine Beach off rt. 9 just south
of the C&D Canal. 
fred

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2005, 10:06:42 AM »

no need to launch in oc or sea isle when there are free launches in between. 
Phillyguy

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2005, 01:41:44 PM »

Ok, I give up, where?

I have a 20ft boat and a fwd van, so I need solid ground.  I can not launch from under a bridge.

Info, Info, Info.

Thanks

Al
fred

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2005, 01:44:28 PM »

we are going to play some geography trivia....without using maps phillyguy, what town lies between ocean city, nj and sea isle, nj?
Phillyguy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2005, 04:06:45 PM »

I kinda think there are more then one.  Strathmere, but also Whale Beach.  I alway thought it was just a slang name for the beach itself, but somewhere I thought I saw it was an actual town or something.

Corsen inlet use to be free, but now it charges.

I remember seeing a launch near Franks boat renal (or close by) but it did not look like it was paved or concrete.

Big boat + small van = stuck in mud

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home