April 24, 2014, 05:16:54 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Derelict crab pot removal program  (Read 8926 times)
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2010, 10:04:26 AM »

For those who don't know, maryland is currently working a derelict crab pot retrieval program.  This program has been initiated due to an outcray by so called conservationist groups such as cca who claim that lost pots continue fishing for many years after they are lost, and that many fish and crabs are killed. Watermen claim that the pots that are lost quickly become fouled and deteriorate rapidly to a condition where they will no longer catch. Once fouled and deteriorating, the lost pots become habitat for many different organisms. NOAA has compiled a chart of the bottom in many areas of the Bay, and DNR determined which areas show the most lost pots, choosing several areas around the bay to work.

I'm participating in the program in the mouth of the Patapsco River.  We have to record data for each piece of debris recovered, including type of construction, condition of the pot, whether there were any fish or crabs in it, alive or dead, whether there were any shellfish attached to the wire, and so forth.  We started on Monday morning and are to continue for five days.  There are about 25 commercial watermen working the mouth of the Patapsco. We didn't go today due to gale warnings.

I can't tell you about what other boats found, but I can say what we pulled up.  I can't see how any other's results would differ, since we're all working the same water with basicly the same technique.  Out of 43 pieces of debris that came up on our trawl,  most were just  pots with the top 1/2 decayed away.  Only 5 pots were in any kind of condition that might be called good, and only 3 had any fish or crabs in them.  In fact, there were  by far more mussels attached to the decayed wire pots, than there where animals in them.  Near the southern side of the mouth of the river, some of the pots came up loaded with soft shell clams, showing that the lost pots become a safe haven for growth of an organism which is in a very low abundance in the Chesapeake.  At the mouth of the Patapsco, we are a little far north for oysters,  but one can imagine that further down the bay, many pieces of wire will come up with oysters attached.

My conclusion from the first 2 days of 'ghost fishing' is in agreement with the watermen's contention that the pots that are lost are NOT a great danger to many fish and crabs, and that they quickly become habitat for marine organisms.  It seems that the 'ghost pot' myth perpetrated by cca and other so called conservationist organizations is simply another attempt to destroy commercial fishing, and that recovering them will do more damage to the ecosystem than it does good.

I'll try to get pictures next time out.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:08:07 AM by Mr. Breeze » Logged

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
Tidal Fish Advisory Commission
crabtracker

Mook Want Crab!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »

your findings just prove what most of us have known all along,the majority of conservationists are NUTS. thanks for the report, would love to see some pics. Wink

only a fool fights in a burning house
a Man will walk into [Sam Hill] with his eyes wide open,
 but even the Devil can't fool a Dog.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 10:27:13 AM »

I used to go out and pull up abandon pots (floats).  I don't know how many I pulled up. Only one was intact and it did have crabs in it.  All of the rest were just a frame with the top half of the wire pot gone.  Most were completely gone.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 10:43:23 AM »

You seen the same thing we did here in Fla,I pulled in 300 last July and had 28 crabs 1 croaker and 2 small sheepshead,most of the crabs could have got out of the pots they were in.We had more than 40 that were so heavy with Oysters that we could not get them on the boat,just cut the line and let them go back.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 10:46:53 AM »

For those who don't know, maryland is currently working a derelict crab pot retrieval program.  This program has been initiated due to an outcray by so called conservationist groups such as cca who claim that lost pots continue fishing for many years after they are lost, and that many fish and crabs are killed. Watermen claim that the pots that are lost quickly become fouled and deteriorate rapidly to a condition where they will no longer catch. Once fouled and deteriorating, the lost pots become habitat for many different organisms. NOAA has compiled a chart of the bottom in many areas of the Bay, and DNR determined which areas show the most lost pots, choosing several areas around the bay to work.

I'm participating in the program in the mouth of the Patapsco River.  We have to record data for each piece of debris recovered, including type of construction, condition of the pot, whether there were any fish or crabs in it, alive or dead, whether there were any shellfish attached to the wire, and so forth.  We started on Monday morning and are to continue for five days.  There are about 25 commercial watermen working the mouth of the Patapsco. We didn't go today due to gale warnings.

I can't tell you about what other boats found, but I can say what we pulled up.  I can't see how any other's results would differ, since we're all working the same water with basicly the same technique.  Out of 43 pieces of debris that came up on our trawl,  most were just  pots with the top 1/2 decayed away.  Only 5 pots were in any kind of condition that might be called good, and only 3 had any fish or crabs in them.  In fact, there were  by far more mussels attached to the decayed wire pots, than there where animals in them.  Near the southern side of the mouth of the river, some of the pots came up loaded with soft shell clams, showing that the lost pots become a safe haven for growth of an organism which is in a very low abundance in the Chesapeake.  At the mouth of the Patapsco, we are a little far north for oysters,  but one can imagine that further down the bay, many pieces of wire will come up with oysters attached.

My conclusion from the first 2 days of 'ghost fishing' is in agreement with the watermen's contention that the pots that are lost are NOT a great danger to many fish and crabs, and that they quickly become habitat for marine organisms.  It seems that the 'ghost pot' myth perpetrated by cca and other so called conservationist organizations is simply another attempt to destroy commercial fishing, and that recovering them will do more damage to the ecosystem than it does good.

Rich

Is this a Monday - Friday deal?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
antman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 11:14:07 AM »

Rich

yea, ya'll not working today Huh
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 11:15:07 AM »

I sure hope Mr. Candus is planning on writing a story about this! Huh

Git 'r dun!
reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 12:08:52 PM »

You know that's not going to happen. It has to be a negative on the watermen.

Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 12:20:54 PM »

Rich

Yeah, but we're guaranteed 5 days

yea, ya'll not working today Huh

NNE 20-25 gusts to 40  gale warnings til 6 pm  Makeup day to be announced

BAHAHAHA  fat chance of that.  If she would unbiasedly report the news, she might write something.  Unfortunately...........She's blatantly anti-waterman

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 12:27:18 PM by Mr. Breeze » Logged

Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 12:23:45 PM »

I will be doing the "Upper upper bay",  NE river, March 29th.  Will give details  and post pics when I start.  It will be interesting to see how the results compare to the Patapsco.

(╮°-°)╮︵┳━┳ ( ╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 01:02:38 PM »

Nice job, Rich and thanks for posting.

I've been saying that all along. This "Ghost pot" thing was a sham, and I think Skip and Candy should have to re-pay the state for the costs of this project.....since it was a huge scam, spammed by them two!

www.MoveEarth.org

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
antman

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 01:10:48 PM »

Ok Mr B....I gotcha.  Glad to hear they gave you a break from the weather and you'll still be able to get your day later. 
Hope they didn't do it like they did on the Wicomico last year.  Call us at 4am to say we were working....everybody shows up and then at 6:45am they told them to go home Angry

I had already switched over to the PAX or I would've been stung with that one Grin
Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 01:59:38 PM »

Rich can we now call you "GHOST BUSTER!"  laugh laugh laugh

CATCH SHARES, Nothing more than PRIVITIZING a PUBLIC RESOURCE.
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 02:23:46 PM »

I thought his name was Cougarbuster?    Grin

5th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek
June 21, 2014
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

QUEEN CHARLOTTE ISLANDS, BC CANADA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 02:46:49 PM »

laugh

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 02:57:45 PM »

Thanks for the update, Rich. It's good to have positive feedback about what we've been saying all along.
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 03:53:29 PM »

I thought his name was Cougarbuster?    Grin

I think you're confusing Mr Breeze with Mr Ray.

Mr Ray frequents bingo halls and nail salons. Grin

Git 'r dun!
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

QUEEN CHARLOTTE ISLANDS, BC CANADA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 04:00:40 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
Chef Lar
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 04:01:35 PM »

I get those two confused myself a lot. I know like you said, one's a big game cougar hunter, and one drives a Ford with black smoke, that ain't broke. laugh laugh laugh

Gratitude, not attitude.
I refuse to have an intelligent conversation with an unarmed man.
Someone asked for Rachael back.
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 04:20:08 PM »

I get those two confused myself a lot. I know like you said, one's a big game cougar hunter, and one drives a Ford with black smoke, that ain't broke. laugh laugh laugh

LOL  Well, I'm happily involved, and I drive a Ford but it doesn't smoke, and I'm broke so which one am I?   never mind, just typing that got me confused. Huh

mdtrotliner

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 04:23:58 PM »

lmfao
decapod

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 07:48:34 PM »

I am also working in the same location for ghost pots and am having the same results. We recovered 50 pots tue. and only one was worth keeping .  The pots are so far down in the mud that they are not a problem.  Some of those pots are so far down in the mud that the crowns are covered.
Fishbonzs
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 08:16:14 PM »

I went out back in Feb...caught about 11 that day & a Captains chair....This is the Virginia Program...$300.00 per day, 50 days to work & they pay for your fuel

Potomac River Crab Advisory Committee
Fishbonzs
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 08:16:36 PM »

Fishbonzs
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 08:16:52 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up