April 19, 2014, 08:33:33 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OIL SPILL CLEAN UP  (Read 1092 times)
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2010, 11:16:15 AM »

My wife works for this co.   CNN will run a segment on this next week . Milliken has produced a new product , Polypropylene Nano Fiber. This will be used to absorb oil in the Gulf and will be particularly effective anb less disruptive to the environment in the marsh areas and other sensitive ecosystems because of its ability to be formed to fit around reeds and plant life . The product is so new it does not yet have a name.  This roduct will be more effective than existing oil absorbers being used.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
thedutchtouch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 11:18:33 AM »

My wife works for this co.   CNN will run a segment on this next week . Milliken has produced a new product , Polypropylene Nano Fiber. This will be used to absorb oil in the Gulf and will be particularly effective anb less disruptive to the environment in the marsh areas and other sensitive ecosystems because of its ability to be formed to fit around reeds and plant life . The product is so new it does not yet have a name.  This roduct will be more effective than existing oil absorbers being used.  Wink

how so? sounds interesting

-Justin

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »

Total waste of time,effort and money to clean up anything but wildlife until they stop the leak.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
chilly1

Chilly's got crabs!!! Ask anybody....

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 01:19:21 PM »

That makes sense as a possible oil clean-up material.  Polypropylene (also known as olefin) is a very common carpeting material.  It also happens to be the most oleophilic (oil-loving) of all of the synthetic carpet fibers.  It also floats on water which may help to keep it where it will do the most good...

Chilly 1   Halethorpe, Md
phillyfireman
Lifetime Member

love crabbing and elk hunting

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 02:40:23 PM »

Throw everything at it I say  !!!!!! and keep throwing Undecided
Crab A Lot

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 01:29:45 AM »

Go to you tube and search clean oil up with hay,you'll find a couple of smart southern boy's who have a good idea and it's cheap to do. Grin Grin laugh laugh laugh Huh Huh Huh
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 01:31:29 AM by Crab A Lot » Logged

Chesapeake Bay Crabs are the best!!!!!!!!
dfran
Supporting Member

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 06:44:39 AM »

Go to you tube and search clean oil up with hay,you'll find a couple of smart southern boy's who have a good idea and it's cheap to do. Grin Grin laugh laugh laugh Huh Huh Huh

Very interesting idea.......looks like it would work well.
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 07:05:30 AM »

Very interesting idea.......looks like it would work well.
I changed my lower unit grease a week ago and drained it in a box of hay and the next day changed the engine oil in a box full,looks to me like there isn't enough hay grown in the world to do the job,no oil was absorbed but some did stick to it just not much.

- John Wayne
ran_c

got crabs?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »

the hay was treated with a chemical to absorb  the oil.....the hay by itself is useless.

if love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?
dfran
Supporting Member

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 08:10:14 PM »

the hay was treated with a chemical to absorb  the oil.....the hay by itself is useless.

Where did you get that info? According to the you tube video it's just plain hay. They didn't mention any kind of treatment, I think that would have been an important detail if it was true. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  I don't think it was treated with anything.
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 06:44:08 AM »

Where did you get that info? According to the you tube video it's just plain hay. They didn't mention any kind of treatment, I think that would have been an important detail if it was true. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  I don't think it was treated with anything.
I don't know if it was treated or not but the hay we use to pack our softcrabs failed the test with 90 wt gear oil and 15/40 wt 4 stroke oil.

- John Wayne

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home