April 16, 2014, 05:52:09 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue crabs and the gulf oil spill  (Read 3278 times)
money pit I

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2010, 11:34:28 PM »

This oil spill makes me sick to my stomach.   I am worried about the fishing, crabbing in the future.   I crab and fish near the Indian River bay in DE       I wonder if  its possible the oil could make it up this far,   I wonder if the fish will be safe in the future and what steps they will have in place for us to make sure what we eat is safe.....     

Anyone have any input on this?Huh

ILL ADMIT IT, IM A CRAB WHORE!
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 11:49:29 PM »

I have no doubt it's possible unfortunately  Undecided

Crab on!
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 11:54:05 PM »

This oil spill makes me sick to my stomach.   I am worried about the fishing, crabbing in the future.   I crab and fish near the Indian River bay in DE       I wonder if  its possible the oil could make it up this far,   I wonder if the fish will be safe in the future and what steps they will have in place for us to make sure what we eat is safe.....     

I can tell you that any of the oil that does make it that far will be FAR less than is put in the water up there every weekend by boat engine emmisions,spills pumping gas,carelessness,bilges pumped out and people that just don't care,any thing that makes it that far will be just a very light sheen on the water.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
tugcapt
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 07:18:58 AM »

I'd be more worried about what comes out of the Delaware River than the Gulf stream.

Honorary Chesapeake Spudman
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 09:31:48 AM »

I wonder if this will affect the Pelagic Species?  Huh

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 10:25:18 AM »

I wonder if this will affect the Pelagic Species?  Huh
You mean all those species that we have protected from the evil commercial fishermen and the public having a chance at eating them for the pleasure of the very rich to go play with and catch kill and release?

- John Wayne
tugcapt
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 10:42:07 AM »

I would think it would effect the epipelagic zone where fish and their young hide in grasses that may be covered in oil.

Honorary Chesapeake Spudman
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 12:52:47 PM »

You mean all those species that we have protected from the evil commercial fishermen and the public having a chance at eating them for the pleasure of the very rich to go play with and catch kill and release?
I meant tun'rs. Specifically.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 10:38:24 PM »

I meant tun'rs. Specifically.
Jack,it's going to be one of those wait and see deals,I have 2 friends who take their boats to La after stone crab season for tunnys and Kings and of course right now they are idle here,BP did send them 1 check apiece but from what I am hearing that may be it,talked to a friend who took his 43 fter and crew over to work for BP and as of today it's been 28 days and not a penny,he is housing in a motel and feeding his crew and they havn't even cut him a check for expences.

- John Wayne
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 03:47:22 PM »

RD
I don't know who your friends are working for but the guys down in Grand Isle and Fouchon are getting paid regularly with no problem.  Anything from 500.00 to 1000.00 a day depending on the company and size of the boat.

Ronnie
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 06:42:52 PM »

RD
I don't know who your friends are working for but the guys down in Grand Isle and Fouchon are getting paid regularly with no problem.  Anything from 500.00 to 1000.00 a day depending on the company and size of the boat.

Ronnie
They signed a contract with BP and the boat is getting $1800 a day when they do draw a check.

- John Wayne
money pit I

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 07:06:05 PM »

I can tell you that any of the oil that does make it that far will be FAR less than is put in the water up there every weekend by boat engine emmisions,spills pumping gas,carelessness,bilges pumped out and people that just don't care,any thing that makes it that far will be just a very light sheen on the water.

[dang] buddy your from FL... its going to be in your backyard soon.... feel bad for you.... 

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 08:31:39 PM »

[dang] buddy your from FL... its going to be in your backyard soon.... feel bad for you.... 
Nothing I can do about it if it comes,but I live in a great place here in the bend and it may never make it here as long as we don't get a storm.

- John Wayne
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 11:40:48 PM »

RD

Good for them. I'm glad they're getting a paycheck.  How many men are on the boat, what are they doing and where are they?

Ronnie
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 06:02:31 AM »

Crew of 3,they layed boom to start with,not sure what they are doing right now or what town they are in,he had ran home to get his skiff and carry back.

- John Wayne
Mutzy crab man
Lifetime Member

9-1/8th 7-31-08 Wye

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 12:56:09 PM »

Nothing I can do about it if it comes,but I live in a great place here in the bend and it may never make it here as long as we don't get a storm.
Glad to hear about that BEND..We keep on thinking about you and Shelly and what the heck is going on..

Outta the river an into my pot...FUHGEDDABOUDIT..
Crab A Lot

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 09:39:22 PM »

Rd,

Right now how is the gulf oil spill affecting your crabbing operation. Huh Huh Huh

Chesapeake Bay Crabs are the best!!!!!!!!
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 09:53:25 PM »

Rd,

Right now how is the gulf oil spill affecting your crabbing operation. Huh Huh Huh
So for no affect at all,just need a little rain here to make things better,to many varmits like sea turtles,redfish and bonnett head sharks.Looks like this oil is going to affect a lot of my friends up and down the state a lot worse than it will us.

- John Wayne
money pit I

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 01:10:29 PM »

I hope not man.   They really need more boats out there skiming i know that...

Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 01:25:19 PM »

RD,

Being on the west side of the Bend, I will be in position to be the guinea pig on the crab tasting front. Tongue
I have a lot of experience, having caught and ate crabs from behind Ft. McHenry, near the Baltimore harbor area in the early seventies.
That Bend area you crab in, I have read that it is the largest crab sanctuary in the entire state. Not to mention the oysters and fish.
I will make a point of stopping in Hunts Oyster bar, and have a couple dozen with a cold draft this week.
Good luck to you

Cc

Say brother....can you spare a crab...
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2010, 11:17:50 PM »

Thanks Cc,I figure that if you can eat those crabs a little oil will be like seasoning on them.  sick2

- John Wayne
4Seasons Seafood

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 08:20:56 AM »

Oil is way to dangerous without proper suits and respirators. I dont think i will paticapate in our oil season.By signing any sort of contract with bp you waive your right to file suit.My family owns hernando beach seafood fl. We fish 5 boats for different species throughout the year.Oil season sounded okay until we found out it can affect your digestive system and make your lungs bleed. 
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 11:02:54 AM »

Oil is way to dangerous without proper suits and respirators. I dont think i will paticapate in our oil season.By signing any sort of contract with bp you waive your right to file suit.My family owns hernando beach seafood fl. We fish 5 boats for different species throughout the year.Oil season sounded okay until we found out it can affect your digestive system and make your lungs bleed. 
LOL,a dose of oil will go straight through you so fast it wont have time to affect ant thing.

That is false,their contract for commercial fishermen does not have a no futher liability clause in it.

- John Wayne
4Seasons Seafood

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 02:43:12 PM »

do you have any info regarding oil cleanup contracts.   
money pit I

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 07:04:09 PM »

On the news tonight they talked about oil plots being somewhere 3300 feet below the surface........... how in the world are they ever going to be able to get all this cleaned up it almost seems impossible.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home