July 25, 2014, 07:03:00 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to keep crabs alive while crabbing  (Read 5525 times)
bikercat

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2010, 09:53:29 PM »

Hi all, I was crabbing today and the temps was in the 80-90 degree range. I saw a guy who just had his crabs in a bucket with a cloth cover on the top. I brought along a cooler and some ice. the guy told me that they won't die and that I didn't need the ice. I was concern because of the warm weather and the fact that I was going to be out for several hours that I didn't want to get sick eating a bunch of dead crabs. so is that person right? thanks
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:55:42 PM »

a wet towel works just fine.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
bikercat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 10:20:21 PM »

thanks, will try it tommorrow. Smiley
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 10:28:21 PM »

good luck . have agreat day crabbing.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 11:05:51 PM »

If I had a choice between a bucket with a wet rag and a cooler with ice,  I'd go with the cooler.  There is not enough air circulation in a bucket,  a basket is a different story.  Also, if you keep whities, yer gonna have dead loss no matter what.

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
Tidal Fish Advisory Commission
kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 12:35:59 AM »

If I had a choice between a bucket with a wet rag and a cooler with ice,  I'd go with the cooler.  There is not enough air circulation in a bucket,  a basket is a different story.  Also, if you keep whities, yer gonna have dead loss no matter what.
yes thumbsup   "Breeze knows crabs!"  Grin

"May all your peach, orange, laundry baskets and coolers, be filled." Tongue
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 07:03:30 AM »

Wink
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:12:16 PM by mdjohn » Logged
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 11:22:57 AM »

Just wanted to throw out there how we do it.  We use the wooden bushel baskets.  Every other hour or so, dip the basket and let it soak a good 30 seconds.  I use 3 baskets one inside the next for when the bottom eventually falls out of the first.  For the ride home, I take a towel, dip it in the water and put it on top of the crabs in the basket.  Whatever ice I have left in the cooler goes on top of the towel.....ice packs work just fine too.  I haven't lost a crab yet doing it this way and I've been stuck in traffic for 2 hrs when it topped 100 degrees out. 

Crab on!
dantheman2929

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 11:39:40 AM »

I like using a Basket ( good air circulation ) and place a thick stack of wet news paper on top in between runs. I know a few guys who wrap the news paper in a towel that way it is easier to move and you do not have to keep dipping the towel to keep it wet ( n really hot days )
kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 01:53:55 PM »

I like using a Basket ( good air circulation ) and place a thick stack of wet news paper on top in between runs. I know a few guys who wrap the news paper in a towel that way it is easier to move and you do not have to keep dipping the towel to keep it wet ( n really hot days )
Just wanted to throw out there how we do it.  We use the wooden bushel baskets.  Every other hour or so, dip the basket and let it soak a good 30 seconds.  I use 3 baskets one inside the next for when the bottom eventually falls out of the first.  For the ride home, I take a towel, dip it in the water and put it on top of the crabs in the basket.  Whatever ice I have left in the cooler goes on top of the towel.....ice packs work just fine too.  I haven't lost a crab yet doing it this way and I've been stuck in traffic for 2 hrs when it topped 100 degrees out. 
Both good ideas.  Basically the same way I do it when I go down the eastern shore to crab.  Hour and a half drive back.  2thumbsup  Can't remember losing any in the last 6 years.

"May all your peach, orange, laundry baskets and coolers, be filled." Tongue
crab24

Callinectes Sapidus 1 of God's Great Creations

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 08:57:26 PM »

I use berlap everyday, lay it over the wooden basket ,dip the berlap every now and then, berlap breaths real good towel are not as breathable
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 10:02:14 AM »

jed i do the same ,wet burlap over top has worked for years. i also soak my baskets on the really hot days before i start crabbin.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home