November 20, 2014, 09:06:56 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Long Can CLEANED UNCOOKED Crabs Last In The Fridge?  (Read 9936 times)
joeyzac

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2010, 09:25:22 PM »

Hello All,

The scheduling for an upcoming family event is killing me.  We have a big family party coming up on a Saturday, and everyone wants crabs.  Please don't kill me on the recipe, but the way they want these crabs cooked is in some kind of Italian recipe that calls for cooking them on Friday (already cleaned) and then marinating them in garlic oil overnight, to be consumed on Saturday.

I have to work on Wednesday and Thursday - no way out of it.  I can crab on Tuesday, all day, and then clean and refrigerate them Tuesday evening.  Sitting in the fridge for 2.5 days, will they be ok?

Tue - Catch, CLEAN, then refrigerate them in gallon zip lock bags (not freeze, just refrigerate)
Wed - They sit in fridge
The - They sit in fridge
Fri - They get cooked early pm, and then marinate overnight in the fridge in garlic oil (or whatever)
Sat - They get consumed 

Does this schedule sound ok to you guys?  Or do you think letting them sit in the fridge for two and a half days is too long?  What would be the max days you could comfortably suggest leaving them in the fridge cleaned, but not cooked?

Thanks in advance for any replies. 

-JZ
Mutzy crab man
Lifetime Member

9-1/8th 7-31-08 Wye

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 09:41:37 PM »

Joey...Your gonna cook them first then marinate them and eat them cold the next day?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:43:36 PM by Mutzy crab man » Logged

Outta the river an into my pot...FUHGEDDABOUDIT..
joeyzac

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 10:21:23 PM »

Yes, my understanding is that they are going to take these crabs and.........

- They MUST be cleaned first (which I'll do the night I catch them)
- They will cook them (not sure how)
- They will marinate them in some kind of garlic oil overnight in the fridge
- They will be served cold the next day

Personally, I think the whole thing is a terrible waste of a bushel of fine crabs, but this is what they want for their 25th wedding anniversary, and I've been informed that I will be catching, killing, cleaning, and delivering these crabs for Friday am.  At this point, my best option is to just do as I am told.  It's either that, or go against all the women involved in this, and I'd rather just give them what they want.
thedutchtouch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »

why not catch tuesday, store in fridge live til thursday night ( a few may die, but not all of them if you keep some air flow ie leave the door cracked) then cook/clean etc thurs night, deliver fri morning

-Justin

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 10:45:24 PM »

I have work on Wed/Thu/Fri which requires me to be up north.  The crabs, the party, everything is down south (at the weekend house).

I'm pretty much hoping I can do all the catching and cleaning on Tuesday, leave them in big zip locks in the fridge till Friday am, and have the "chef" for the party come to my house on Friday am, take them, and it's her problem from there.

The issue is whether or not they'll be ok cleaned in the fridge raw for close to 3 days.  Huh
TommyA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 08:14:55 AM »

I would cook them Tuesday and marinate them on Friday. That would be the safest and the taste will be the same as if you cooked them on Friday. The marinade will rejuvenate any drying of the meat.

Crab will start to decay as soon as they die whether they are cleaned or not so cooking will prevent them from going bad.
TAJcrabs

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 08:25:30 AM »

I'm with tommy.. I would clean and cook on tues. They will be fine in zip locks cooked until fri morn.
shadow-13x

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 09:37:44 AM »

my Italian grandparents would prep crab the same way. boil, soak in oil/garlic, serve
joeyzac

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 09:55:47 AM »

Caught, cleaned and cooked (steamed) on Tuesday is possible.

If they're better off sitting in the fridge for 2 days cooked as opposed to sitting there waiting to be cooked, then that works for me.

Thanks for the suggestions, and if anyone else has an opinion, I'm all ears.
TAJcrabs

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 11:12:06 AM »

might be ok to leave in there cleaned uncooked, but I wouldnt chance it.. Seafood is very touchy when not fresh.. no reason to get everyone sick. ask chef Lar... he's the man
Mutzy crab man
Lifetime Member

9-1/8th 7-31-08 Wye

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 06:25:31 PM »

my Italian grandparents would prep crab the same way. boil, soak in oil/garlic, serve
I never,never heard of this.That's not saying it's no good.I love cold STEAMED crabs but not BOILED..I am a firm believer that boiled crabs looses it's flavor...But like I always say TO EACH HIS OWN...
...OOPS Almost forgot..I am Italian also  Wink
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 06:27:44 PM by Mutzy crab man » Logged

Outta the river an into my pot...FUHGEDDABOUDIT..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home