November 20, 2014, 05:39:55 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Raising Blue claw in ponds...  (Read 1917 times)
Woffie

...I need 20lbs of butter and a hammer...

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2010, 06:14:29 PM »

Don't know if any of you have ponds on your property but I just stumbled onto this article while looking for something else.  Now this is from 2008 so if it has already been posted please forgive.

http://scienceblogs.com/clock/2008/10/can_you_raise_seawater_blue_cr.php

Apparently yes: Freshwater Farm Ponds Turning into Crab Farms:

North Carolina's native blue crab population has been at historic lows since 2000. Dr. Dave Eggleston, director of NC State's Center for Marine Sciences and Technology (CMAST) and professor of marine, earth and atmospheric sciences, looked at various methods for helping the population recover. He hit upon a solution which not only reduces pressure on existing crab populations, but also benefits farmers looking to diversify their crops: using irrigation ponds on farms to grow blue crabs.

----------------------------

Eggleston and his fellow researchers discovered that crabs can tolerate a salinity level of only .3 parts per thousand, which is about the same level found in coastal tap water. They did further work to determine the best set of circumstances for raising crab: population density, food rations, and habitat structure in ponds.

This past July, Eggleston and Ray Harris, NC State director of cooperative extension for Carteret County, had the opportunity for a large-scale test when they stocked a 10-acre lake with 40,000 hatchery-raised crabs, and a smaller pond with 4,000 crabs. The crabs will take approximately 105 days to reach maturity, and so far the endeavor looks successful.

With the rapid rate of growth for pond-raised crabs, Eggleston expects that in a given year, a farm could produce two to three harvests, as crabs don't do well in freshwater during the winter months.

"If you look at a 2 1/2 -acre pond, you could stock it with 50,000 hatchery-raised crabs and expect to harvest around 20 percent, or 10,000 fully grown crabs. At $3 per crab, that's $30,000 - and multiply that times three. It definitely adds up."

So...it's been a while...anyone give it a try yet? 
crabnrich

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 06:38:25 PM »

now all they have to do is find people to pay 3 dollars per crab...
fishbone

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 07:28:48 PM »

Interesting.
A couple of points that I don't understand:

3 harvest of crab a year?

What kind of super breeding, super fast growing blue crabs are they?
What is the cost of 40,000 hatchery crabs?

No thanks...I'll have my crab grown naturaly, sea weed on it's belly and a barnacle stuck to it's a$%
CrabmanC27C

"Never seen a blue crab!just the red ones"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 09:42:19 PM »

Hmmm,Whats the butter and hammer for? laugh

"Music is the sigh of the oppressed masses,It is the heart in a heartless world"~Bill Graham~
Woffie

...I need 20lbs of butter and a hammer...

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 10:25:47 PM »

Yeah that was what I was thinking.  $3 for a crab...better be a big'un!

Cheesy  The Butter and hammer is in ref to my pic Wink  Catch a crab like that...  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home