December 19, 2014, 09:58:15 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbing in Long Island, NY  (Read 24554 times)
LongIslandPhil

« on: July 15, 2003, 06:19:08 AM »

I just moved to Long Island and I am looking for some good crabbing spots.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thanks!
crabatdawn

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 11:32:42 PM »

tell me what town you live in and i can help, but remember no blue claws on the north shore(L.I. sound),only us lucky ones on the bay can get em
Lynn

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2003, 10:38:50 PM »

Me and my son went to Tanner Park in Copiague off the middle dock and caught 30 crabs in 3 hours!!  I usually crab off the docks in Babylon village but had little luck this season
angel

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 08:34:27 PM »

Hey Im glad someone is talking about NY.  I wanted to know, when is the best time of year to crab in NY.  I just recently got into crabbing.  If anyone has any tips for me that would be great.  Thanks.  Smiley
angel

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 08:38:58 PM »

one more thing to add to my last message, if anyone know's any places on LI that you can crab or fish without having a permit, please let me know.  thanks.
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2003, 10:01:36 PM »

Angel, I haven't crabbed in NY in three years, I moved to NJ 8 years ago. But I crabbed there for over 30 years from East Moriches to the Rockaways. I had a summer home in Mastic Beach when I was a kid. The best time for crabbing in LI is late August and September. Usually the first two weeks of October are pretty good but it starts tailing off and you start getting alot of females (throw them back if want to see good catches in the future.).  In September the crabs move out of the creeks and rivers into the bay and look to mate. I don't know where you are at but my preference is the Fords River going out on a boat (from Silly Lily East Moriches). Boat rentals are expensive, 75 to 100$ with a motor. The Ammittyvile, North Babylon, Massapequa area is also good. Not sure what they are doing out there except I read the Fords River area has been good. The problem with the docks is you have a lot of resident laws and as you noted permits are required. A good crabbing dock area is Captree in Robert Moses State Park. I know they sell permits there but you may be able to get in for a day fee like at Jones Beach. I suggest you give them a call. I hope I have been some help to you. Good Luck and Good Crabbing. Cool Cool Cool

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
Bren

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2003, 06:26:45 PM »

Hey thanks for that info.  It is helpful.  I actually went out to captree today, but had no luck.  We were fishing too, and had no luck with that either.  Well, Ill have to try those places you mentioned.  Thanks again for that info.   Wink
D Crabster

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2003, 12:14:51 PM »

Joe Crabs, I spent years crabbing in East Moriches as well !  My grandparents used to live on Newport Beach Blvd.  I also fished and crabbed from Silly Lilly Fishing Station.....  nice to hear from another Islander.
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2003, 02:20:44 PM »

D Crabster,

I loved it out there, lived off Neighborhood Road in Mastic Beach. 8 blocks from the water. Crabbed everywhere from the William Floyd Parkway Bridge to the Coast Guard Station. I havn't been to Sily Lily in three years. It's the same ride or even worse during traffic than going to Maryland from Jersey. The last ime I went the size was better than Jersey, but not like it use to be. Though 7" + crabs are not a myth out there. But you can't beat Maryland. Taste great and More Filling. Good to here from you. Good luck crabbing.

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
oompalumpa61

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 07:47:31 PM »

Hi, I have a 13 foot whaler and i just pretty much go jacking anywhere there is seaweed patches.  I also go in the canals and go from pole to pole.  I launch out of Wantagh Ramp (wantagh, New York).  I'd say anywhere in the bays you have a chance of getting some good blue claws.
Moon star

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 07:33:45 PM »

i would like to know if u know of any other  place on longisland we can go crabing  and fishing.
LI Crabber

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 11:56:19 AM »

Try any of the parks along the south shore. Bay Park in East Rockaway. Also there are a couple of parks in Freeport that should be decent. We generally catch the most right at our dock on Hudson Canal. Usually pretty slow till July though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home