November 27, 2014, 06:29:02 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbing Locations Near Annapolis Maryland  (Read 18975 times)
rjeffers

« on: July 17, 2003, 03:27:26 PM »

Hello everyone,

I live near Annapolis Maryland.  I'm looking to take my son crabbing for the first time, but don't know where to really go and how to get there.

Could someone please help me out.

I look forward to the response.
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 03:29:20 PM »

RJ, are you gonna be crabbing by land or by sea?  Makes a big difference.

Crabpop

Severn, Md USA
rjeffers

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 03:33:53 PM »

Let me just say first, that I love forums.  I refer to forums for all my needs.

Second, open surfing this site, I saw your name and noticed you were from my area crabpop.  I feel pretty confident now that you will help me find locations.

Okay, now to answer your question, I will be crabbing by land.  I live in Bowie, FYI.

Thanks for the info.

Rod
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 04:44:35 PM »

Rod, here are three places.  One is a pier and the other two will require you to rent a boat at each location.

The pier at Matapeake State Park; first exit after you cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.  Pier crabbin' can be OK, but with the hokey season we've had thus far this year it will be a hit or miss proposition.  Map is at this URL:

http://mddnr.chesapeakebay.net/fish/mapquery.cfm?Facility=QA003

Sandy Point State Park rents boats with low HP motors.  You want to exit the pond where the boat rental is and enter the Chesapeake Bay.  As you exit the pond both bridges will be on your right.  You'll also see many crabpots.  As soon as you can find an area with only a few crabpots, cross under both bridges and continue south along the western shore of the bay for a couple hundred yards.  You'll see some coves where you can anchor.  Crabtraps and hand lines work here.  Move around until you find the crabs. Map is at this URL:

http://mddnr.chesapeakebay.net/fish/mapquery.cfm?Facility=AA001

Now, about 17 miles down Route 50 is a right-hand turnoff to Route 213.  Follow this to Route 662 and Wye Landing Lane.  At the end of the lane is Wye Landing and Schnaitman's, where you can rent a rowboat.  Jumbo crabs here.  Arrive early as the rentals go quickly, especially on weekends.  With rowing, you won't want to go too far away from the docks.  The cove, immediately across from the docks has crabs, as does the shore line to the right of the docks. Now, maybe you know someone who will loan you an electric motor/battery combo, so you don't have to row.  If you and your son really get into crabbin', then you can pick up a low HP used outboard to put on Schnaitman's boats for a couple hundred bucks.  Handlines and crabtraps work here. Map is at this URL:

http://mddnr.chesapeakebay.net/fish/mapquery.cfm?Facility=TA001

Good luck and let us know how you do.  

Crabpop

Severn, Md USA
rjeffers

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2003, 08:15:58 AM »

Excellent information.   Grin

I will let you know if I have any luck.

Thanks again.

Rodney
rjeffers

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2003, 01:31:19 PM »

Crabpop,

I was talking to someone early today and he had mentioned a crabbing location near the old severn river bridge.

Is that a good spot to go crabbing?

Rod
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2003, 05:23:25 PM »

Rod, that is at Jonas Green State Park which is quite small and adjacent to the new US Naval Academy Bridge over the Severn on Route 450.  When they put in the new bridge, they retained a portion of the old bridge as a fishing/crabbing pier. The pier and parking lot is located on the northwest side of the new bridge (across the Severn from Annapolis).  This place can get kinda crowded on weekends, but should be ok on weekdays.  Again, its a pier, so there's no mobility for you.  Time your arrival here to catch incoming/outgoing high tide.  

Crabpop

Severn, Md USA

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home