November 23, 2014, 10:41:15 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carbon monoxide in fish  (Read 5601 times)
mdjohn

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2011, 08:56:34 PM »

Went to buy some Tilapia fish - noticed they had a new brand, so I read the ingredients list on the bag --

Processed using Carbon Monoxide

what !!!    so I did some web surfing and found this

Many processers in China routinely use CO on tilapia immediately prior to and during processing in order to give fillets a bright red color increasing product appeal. Tilapias sold into the local markets in China are not treated with CO. It is not legal in China! Every processor that I have worked with has always told me the same thing. Chinese processing plants are catering to their customers requesting it. When their clients ask for it, it is used. They do not add it as standard operating procedure but only in response to clients requesting it.

http://www.seafoodsource.com/blogs.aspx?id=4294993601&blogid=4295004787

so read the ingredient list on frozen fish before you buy it  Wink
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:00:45 PM by mdjohn » Logged
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 05:21:40 AM »

Why would you buy frozen fish from China ? Never mind,they already did their test run with pet food,they know now that they can take out at least 1/3 of us with a poisoned food supply.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »

I'm with RD on this one. why would anybody buy any kind of seafood from any foreign country especialy china or thailand. i can only imagine workers squating in a rice paddy just upstream from some of thier farm raised fish and shrimp ponds,yuk. buy Ameican wild caught seafood, it's the best tasting and safest in the world.
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 05:24:07 PM »

I don't want to turn this into a peeing contest but if Americans buy and eat only American seafood - american fish and shellfish and the seafood industry would be extinct in under one year - do your due diligence

eat sustainable seafood

http://eartheasy.com/eat_sustainable_seafoods.htm

there is not enough american fish and shellfish to feed the american population  Wink Grin check the list

and you guys missed the point, in your haste to wave the buy american banner - the point was to read the ingredient list as to what you're buying

and they do raise Tilapia fish in the USA - read the back of the package to find out  Grin Grin Grin

BTW - using carbon monoxide in fish processing is legal in the USA but it is illegal to use in China, go figure  Undecided 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:00:12 PM by mdjohn » Logged
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 05:41:48 PM »

There are no fish in VA....  Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 09:11:32 PM »

Just going to point out that the list is BS and a pack of tree hugger lies,things like red snapper and sharks may have to grow legs so they can walk to the great lakes for more elbow room,they are eating us out of house n home in the gulf.

- John Wayne
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 01:51:08 PM »

just in case you didnt know.....thats why the meat sold in packages at grocery stores stays bright red so long......carbon monoxide...just sayin..its not just in fish Wink

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 01:52:15 PM »

I'm with RD on this one. why would anybody buy any kind of seafood from any foreign country especialy china or thailand. i can only imagine workers squating in a rice paddy just upstream from some of thier farm raised fish and shrimp ponds,yuk. buy Ameican wild caught seafood, it's the best tasting and safest in the world.

and the Patapsco is soooooooooo clean....lmfao Wink

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 05:17:53 PM »

and the Patapsco is soooooooooo clean....lmfao Wink

It is compared to Back river.  laugh laugh laugh laugh

which is pristine compared to Curtis Creek, which has a sign saying that the water may corrode and/or pit fiberglass and aluminum hulls  laugh laugh laugh
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 06:31:43 PM »

It is compared to Back river.  laugh laugh laugh laugh

which is pristine compared to Curtis Creek, which has a sign saying that the water may corrode and/or pit fiberglass and aluminum hulls  laugh laugh laugh
This is funny? Huh Undecided

Nabbcrab

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 08:18:23 PM »

I just don't eat that fish.  I skip right on over to steelhead or salmon.  What ever happend to Monk Fish?

Hey Now!
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 06:21:17 AM »

I have to admit I am spoiled down here as I live and work on some of the least polluted waters we have in the US.
just in case you didnt know.....thats why the meat sold in packages at grocery stores stays bright red so long......carbon monoxide...just sayin..its not just in fish Wink
One thing I leaned at a very young age was to buy meat that has started to brown a little as it has aged enough to be fit to eat and the will mark the price d.own

- John Wayne
jmjral

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 10:48:11 PM »

Just remember folks, Chinese quality control is everything that it is cracked up to be.  Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

On a more serious note, carbon monoxide should not have any deleterious effect on either the filet or anyone eating it.  Not much different from nitrogen or CO2 blanketing which is also quite common in the food processing industry.

Realistically, zero health risk.  I would worry more about the unregistered antibiotics, fungicides, nematacides, etc. that the Chinese have been known to use.

Some of these producers are supposed to be pretty good but for many of them you just don't know.

Was at a market recently and was looking at some packaged hog casings to use in making sausage.  US pig but processed in China.  An asian couple (?Chinese?) heard us discussing this.  They said "do not use" and that we shouldn't trust any food product coming out of China. 
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 07:52:05 AM »

Food stuff from China is everywere.  We picked up 2 cans of beans but when we looked closer at home it said "a product of China".  In the trash they went... Sad

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 09:59:28 AM »

Food stuff from China is everywere.  We picked up 2 cans of beans but when we looked closer at home it said "a product of China".  In the trash they went... Sad
They have control of our food,money and everyday items we use.

- John Wayne
Chef Lar
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 03:24:58 PM »

They have control of our food,money and everyday items we use.

Care to take a guess at how much US debt China is carrying, and why devaluing the Yuan would be so detremental, and so on. Think globally, act locally.

"Don't be a dumbass."
Chef Lar
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 03:32:35 PM »

It's also irradiation of the meat to keep it red. Hitting it with high amounts keeps the meat brighter longer, but does nothing to prevent spoilage. This is used primarily for prepackaged items. As was stated before, read the packaging of anything you're going to put in your system. If you can't understand it, put it back. There's a lot of info required to be on food stuffs that is for sale to the general public; nature of origin, processing if different, etc. Be responsible for who you are by what you eat.

"Don't be a dumbass."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home