October 25, 2014, 02:10:14 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to buy crab pot parts in Lee County, FL  (Read 4391 times)
fishingaddict88

Ignore
« on: January 20, 2011, 08:35:25 PM »

First off i wasnt really sure where i should post this in the forum so sry if its in the wrong spot.

I'm following the crab pot building guide provided on the forum, and am finding it extremely difficult to find all the necessary materials needed to construct the crab pots in my area of fort myers/ lee county.

I've been able to find the saltwater netting @ futrals feed store, and managed to get hog rings and 1x1/2" wire mesh for the bait boxes. However for the life of me I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME find 11 gauge smooth wire or cull rings (or PVC pipe with a 2-3/8 internal diameter). Lowes and home depot dont carry the right size pipe to cut into rings nor do they carry the right gauge wire they have 14 gauge and 9 gauge but no 11 grrrrr. wall

i bought some 14 gauge does anyone think that will work?

I know there has to be a place to get this stuff around here because theres always tons of crab buoys in the waters from the commercial guys. I have a hunch there has to be a place out on pine island or matlacha that sells this stuff but i dont know where to look out there.

If anyone in this area knows where i can find these materials that would be awesome.  help I'm willing to go to Bonita Springs or Naples if need be too
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:53:07 PM »

How big do cull rings have to be in FL?  If its 2-3/8, and you got 2-1/2 pipe, just use it, you'll catch bigger crabs anyway. 

For the bracing wire/"smooth wire" you can use 14 ga.  9 wouldn't hurt anything if its not to hard to work.  I can't remember what the guys runnin hex pots use.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
fishingaddict88

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 09:06:59 PM »

Thanks, I figured i can use 2-1/2 instead of 2-3/8" but all the stores in fort myers i've been too like lowes, home depot only carry 2" and 3" pipe which are both too small or too big respectively. I guess i need to see what building supply warehouse are still in business down here and see if they have it

the 9 gauge wire looked too big for my hog rings to fit around and only came in 50 ft rolls for about $9 where as the 14 gauge might be a little to thin but was a 100 ft roll for $7.

I thought it be cool to build my own pots but getting the materials is making me want to pull out my hair. wall
captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:13:01 PM »

or cull rings (or PVC pipe with a 2-3/8 internal diameter). Lowes and home depot dont carry the right size pipe to cut into rings
   Check out the 2" PVC couplings for the internal size..    That should be close, but may cost a bit more...

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 09:18:59 PM »

Try Lee fisher in Tampa or W.A. Davidsons in Jax they will ship UPS too.

Atlantic & Gulf in Miami.

http://wadavidson.com/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:20:46 PM by R D » Logged

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
jefftoleft
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 09:43:27 PM »

I think I saw somewhere on here that someone got that wire at a Walmart and it was picture hanging wire I will try to remember were I saw it  Undecided

You will always catch more crabs with a DOT.NET than a DOT.COM
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 09:46:14 PM »

Check out the 2" PVC couplings for the internal size..    That should be close, but may cost a bit more...

I think you can buy 2 1/2" Conduit  usually gray or black, that should work..
fishingaddict88

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 11:49:56 PM »

WOW that W.A. Davidsons has everything at cheap prices, thank you so very much

anamealreadyinuse

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 11:19:48 PM »

I'm out of Fort Myers Beach and the problem you are going to find in Lee County is that you have to buy quantity to meet the min. order for materials at least as far as I could find OR use the materials you find @ the local hardware stores.  There are some EXCELLENT local trap builders/crabbers that can kick out an excellent product on press machines that are then hand assembled.  If you are looking for the experience of building the trap, local hardware stores can easily fill your requirements and you can improvise on the details.  The traps will last a few seasons, long after your scratches heal from your experience  Grin ... after a few seasons you may want to tap the local community as they can provide not only the trap but some tips along the way.

Most of the local manufacturers provide the bait shops their traps (shipping is costly) they then resell to tourists and are happy to provide the local their "source"...be prepared to purchase a minimum of 10 traps (you and a buddy/wife) for recreational.

If you have trouble finding a local trap maker, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.  If you are building some traps and run into trouble let me know...lord knows I got the scratches from experience...bottom line if your building make sure you make the funnels to specification found on this website and if the crab are around they will find their way in there ;-)  GOOD LUCK!

** Also, post back with your crabbing report...there are not many of us doing this and it would be nice to build a community down here is Southwest FL :-)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 11:21:44 PM by anamealreadyinuse » Logged
carlosh

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 08:02:33 AM »

If you haven't found the wire yet, you might try some place that sells fencing supplies in your area. There are several places that sell fencing supplies in my area.  Each sells the galvanized wire, but one is cheaper than the other.  You could give that a try.  As for the hog rings, I believe somebody already may have mentioned that you don't use the PVC pipe.  You use the couplings that are used to join two pipes together.  Those will measure the exact inside diameter you need.  All you have to do is to take a saw and cut it into rings of the desired width.

As for the funnel, I think that's too much trouble.  I prefer to use a gate.  I take 3 pieces of stainless steel welding rod and I weld them into the form of a letter H.  I curve the top of 2 of the rods and wrap  the around the pot so that it swings open to let them in, but not out.

Carlos
fishingaddict88

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 05:04:47 PM »

I'm out of Fort Myers Beach and the problem you are going to find in Lee County is that you have to buy quantity to meet the min. order for materials at least as far as I could find OR use the materials you find @ the local hardware stores.  There are some EXCELLENT local trap builders/crabbers that can kick out an excellent product on press machines that are then hand assembled.  If you are looking for the experience of building the trap, local hardware stores can easily fill your requirements and you can improvise on the details.  The traps will last a few seasons, long after your scratches heal from your experience  Grin ... after a few seasons you may want to tap the local community as they can provide not only the trap but some tips along the way.

Most of the local manufacturers provide the bait shops their traps (shipping is costly) they then resell to tourists and are happy to provide the local their "source"...be prepared to purchase a minimum of 10 traps (you and a buddy/wife) for recreational.

If you have trouble finding a local trap maker, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.  If you are building some traps and run into trouble let me know...lord knows I got the scratches from experience...bottom line if your building make sure you make the funnels to specification found on this website and if the crab are around they will find their way in there ;-)  GOOD LUCK!

** Also, post back with your crabbing report...there are not many of us doing this and it would be nice to build a community down here is Southwest FL :-)

I was trying to build traps from scratch so i could try and re-sell them to make some extra cash. I'm a senior at fgcu doing school related stuff 6 days a week and no employer wants to attempt to work around my schedule. So i thought building traps was something i could do in my spare time and if for some reason i couldnt sell them then i could still use them. At this point I basically have 4 traps done with tunnels installed except i cant find the re-enforcing wire or cull rings around here, that is where i hit my major snag. My buddy was wanting to buy some pin fish traps from the whole seller which would allow us to fulfill the $50 min order so hopefully that works out. If that doesnt work out will any of the local builders be willing to sell the wire and cull rings at a reasonable price?Huh?

I also was planning on keeping some for my own personal use but my boat needs to get worked on b4 i can take it out and drop pots, so i most likely wont be doing any crabbing reports, unless its from some docks or brides. I know whiskey creek can fill up with crabs at times.
anamealreadyinuse

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 06:01:07 PM »

I'd go with the PVC and smooth wire you got if you can work with it.  As long as it's sturdy and built to spec you should be good to go.  Good Luck and post some photos once you are done and prices, people down here on vacation cruise the forum all the time and might be interested in picking up a trap or two.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 07:47:26 PM »

If you haven't found the wire yet, you might try some place that sells fencing supplies in your area. There are several places that sell fencing supplies in my area.  Each sells the galvanized wire, but one is cheaper than the other.  You could give that a try.  As for the hog rings, I believe somebody already may have mentioned that you don't use the PVC pipe.  You use the couplings that are used to join two pipes together.  Those will measure the exact inside diameter you need.  All you have to do is to take a saw and cut it into rings of the desired width.

As for the funnel, I think that's too much trouble.  I prefer to use a gate.  I take 3 pieces of stainless steel welding rod and I weld them into the form of a letter H.  I curve the top of 2 of the rods and wrap  the around the pot so that it swings open to let them in, but not out.

Carlos
One is made of galvanized wire, then made into mess (chicken wire).  The other is galvanized "after" making the mess (crabpot wire).  Look at the twist.. Knot is galvanized, crabpot wire.  Knot is twisted galvanized wire, Chicken wire.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Rowdie

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 08:46:33 PM »

http://wadavidson.com/

Lee Fisher is all win! I must have searched crab traps with assorted other terms 20 times on two different engines and never did that place come up. That's either a major fail on Fisher's part or the engines' part. WAdavidson didn't come up either. fn ebay, and amazon and the other mass shopping sites chew up all the organic and paid space.

Huge thanks for those link/leads.

John WAsmuth

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 07:37:36 PM »

I make mine out of bailing wire using an easy off oven cleaner can as a jig. They work fine and are at 2 1/2 inches or so. Cheap enough to replace as the wear out.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home