December 20, 2014, 05:13:04 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Largest crab caught!!!!!!!!  (Read 7030 times)
Crab A Lot

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2005, 06:42:40 PM »

Hi All,

I been crabbing for quite a few years,the largest crab I caught was 8 1/4"
at the wye river. laugh laugh

Mr Schaitman had a 9" crab mounted on the wall of his office where he rents the boats,I didn't see it but my grandson did and told me about it later. Grin Grin

What is the largest crab anyone else has caught,and where? Huh Huh Cool Cool

Chesapeake Bay Crabs are the best!!!!!!!!
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 09:28:32 PM »

9 1/4, 20 million years ago Sad Mastic Beach) Long Island, scooped it with a net walking the flats.  Cheesy

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
mrscharms
Lifetime Member

I REALLY LOVE crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 11:16:49 PM »

I'm just happy  to catch any keepers (grin).  And I am up to the big "THREE" so far this year!

Janice
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 11:56:50 PM »

8-1/4"  Langford Creek off the Chester

Git 'r dun!
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 12:06:16 AM »

My wife! Sad

Retired in paradise!
Crabbeer

Kwicherbichen and have fun, go crabbin!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 06:05:44 AM »

9" Bush River last year, 8.75" Bohemia River 3 years ago.

Support our troops, make their home worthy of them.
Crabbin Pappy

Crabbin' Pappy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 07:10:45 AM »

9" at Wye River 2 yrs. ago in Mid Oct. Have it Mounted and Hanging on the wall.
Crabbin Pappy
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 10:24:02 AM »

I kike BOGMANS reply.  Make me laugh.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
dr crab

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 10:13:58 PM »

8 incher in the little choptank
singlguy9

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 11:00:34 AM »

More than a few around or a little over 8".....in the Gunpowder.

I've never got a 9"............maybe this is the year!!!!

Grin

the taxidermy man's gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung em'!!!!
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 11:16:31 AM »

I need to update my record book.... I landed an 8-3/8" this past weekend at Kent Narrows.  Apparently the "mumbos" that only live in the Wye have migrated.

The biggest crab I have ever heard about, that is mounted to a board somewhere, is 10-5/8"

Can anyone beat that?

Git 'r dun!
HenPot
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 11:49:09 AM »

My daughter had one from the Wye in October 3 years ago, just under 9 3/4, she was only 5 years old!

Talked to a young guy at the Wye that had a picture of a 9 1/2 he had caught on 7/3 on the Wye, his first time there!  Awesome looking crab!  Caught on chicken baited handline.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 05:48:47 AM »

BIGGEST i've ever caught was 8 1/2 . on the Cheater river.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Crab A Lot

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 08:14:23 PM »

The largest crab I ever caught was at CherryStone Campground on the Eastern Shore of VA. It measured 9 3/4". If memory serves me right, I was 11.

Smiley

Kristieinpa,

When my kids were small we camped at Cherrystone Campground,we would go down to the pier at night with crab nets and catch doubler crabs coming in with the tide laugh laugh laugh

They were some big crabs,I didn't measure them then but with my grandkids now they want to know how large every crab we catch are Grin Grin Grin

Brought back some nice memories,we had a many good times camping. laugh laugh laugh

Crab a lot!

Chesapeake Bay Crabs are the best!!!!!!!!
clamchunker

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 08:39:15 PM »

i grew up going to cherrystone the crabs back then where pretty big . the past two years we went the crabbing has been very slow i guess it doesnt help when everyone one the pier doesnt measure there crabs or designate wether or not they are males or females ect.
crabbinmofo

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2005, 11:46:53 AM »

Hi all,

My biggest crab was caught in July or August of 1975 when I was a commercial crabber.  I crabbed the south side of the mouth of the Severn from Horn Pt to Lake Ogleton along with my partner.

One day the wind was out of the NNE at 20+ knots so we had to lay the line perpendicular to the shore rather than parallel to it.  This put the last half of the 2500' into the channel.  When we started running the line, there was not one crab on the first half and we were wondering about the sanity of trying to run the line in a 3 foot chop, but as soon as we got to the part of the line that was in the channel, there were 2 or 3 crabs on each bait.  So many that the bottom of the boat was covered with them because we didn't have enough baskets ready to drop them in.

We had almost three bushels by the time we finished the first run and almost all of the crabs were 7" or better.  After the second run, there were no eels left on the deep end of the line, so we pulled it in and turned it around.  And the crabs were still there.  Three more runs and there was not a bait left on the line. Ended up with 9+ bushels, 5 of them being crabs that were 8" or better.  Could have gotten more, but there was no bait left.

Three of the crabs stood out from the rest.  One was 9 3/4", one was 10" and the biggest was 10 1/2".  They were so big they would not fit in the basket.  They stretched their claws out and were wider than the basket opening.  We just let them have the run of the boat, but we did try to keep an eye on them between running the line and culling to make sure they didn't attack us.

Our buyer at the time was a restaurant/crab shack called "Ollie Beck's" on Belair Rd. in Baltimore.  He almost turned cartwheels when he saw the crabs.  We were quite happy with the $27 for each bushel under 8" and $32 for each one over 8". 

My partner and I took turns keeping crabs for personal use, usually a bushel per day, since this was a second job for both of us and we only crabbed on weekends and holidays.  As it turned out, this trip was on a Sunday which made it my partners day to keep the crabs.  He kept the bushel of the biggest crabs, including the monsters.  He said he really enjoyed eating them.  I don't know if he took any pictures. 

Before the next season started, my partner moved to Lexington KY due to changing his 'real' job.  I let my license expire, so that was the end of my commercial crabbing, but I continue to crab recreationally, mainly on the Magothy.  I've had a few days where I've hit a crab feeding frenzy and got a bushel+ per run (on a 1000' line), but the biggest crab I've gotten since then was 8 3/4".

C-mofo

Of the 2 things for which you can wake me in the middle of the night, crabs is one of them.
fred

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2005, 12:09:49 PM »

very nice story crabbinmofo, how deep would you say that channel was?
crabbinmofo

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2005, 12:25:41 PM »

Fred,

We normally crabbed the channel edge wher it was less than 10'.  The depth of the channel was 20' - 25'.

C-mofo

Of the 2 things for which you can wake me in the middle of the night, crabs is one of them.
crabbinmofo

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2005, 01:16:31 PM »

Fred,

The attachment is a map that shows where I normally crabbed in GREEN and where I caught the monsters in RED

C-mofo

Ltrain

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2005, 01:40:49 PM »

we found one in a bushe about 15 years ago when working at crab house in eldersburg, MD, called Tangier's.  We saved it and had it stuff for the boss for xmas.  It was over 10''.  and he was a mean sucker.
fred

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2005, 01:53:57 PM »

c-mofo, i understand that you stopped commercially crabbing after that year, but what i wondered was if that catch in deeper water was rare.  Have you ever tried it that area again after that day?
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2005, 02:47:27 PM »

http://www.blue-crab.org/forum/index.php/topic,15.0.html

AND THE REST IS HISTORY
Tuarus

WOW CRABS! WHAT COULD BE BETTER OH YEAH MORE CRABS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2005, 03:10:12 PM »

BIGGEST I REMEMBER CATCHIN WAS ABOUT 7 1/2 OVER AT THAMES RIVER.  THAT WAS MANY YRS AGO WHEN I WAS AROUND 11.

New Britain, CT
crabbinmofo

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2005, 03:42:12 PM »

c-mofo, i understand that you stopped commercially crabbing after that year, but what i wondered was if that catch in deeper water was rare. Have you ever tried it that area again after that day?

Fred,

First, let me say that crabbing in a marked channel is not legal in MD.  We were just beyond the marked channel, so we were okay legally, but realistically it was only possible because of the time of day (0530) and the weather (too rough for small craft).  That area normally had too much traffic to be safely crabbed as far as I was concerned.  So beware of crabbing in 'channels', they normally have a high concentration of boat activity, especially larger boats.

As to catching in deeper water being rare, that has not been my experience.  I do very little crabbing in water less than 7 feet deep and do okay.   When the water is less that that, my line comes up too far in front for me to be able to easily reach the crabs before they get too close to the surface.  Mostly 10' - 15' is what I look for.

I guess the things that makes it easier to run a line in deeper water is having long anchor ropes and good floats.  I usually try spots that are along the edge of a dropoff with the tide running hoping to catch crabs either going to or from the deeper water.  My experience has been that deeper water has bigger crabs.

I could go on, but this is getting somewhat off-topic.

C-mofo

fred

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2005, 03:44:41 PM »

Thanks c-mofo on sharing your experience.  I experience the same thing also by catching bigger crabs in deeper depths.  Good talking with you.   Smiley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home