July 30, 2014, 05:03:33 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lake Mattamuskeet in July  (Read 3582 times)
FishtheIBX

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2011, 05:54:04 PM »

Hello Everyone,
New here and have a question about the Mattamuskeet area. I am heading down that way around July 4th and wondering if the crabbing is good on the lake during that time. Also, any tips would be appreciated! I hear they are huge down there.
Thanks!

FishtheIBX

Tight Lines!

FishtheIBX
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

trips 13 Bu.- 18 Biggest 8 1/8"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 08:11:28 AM »

should be good numbers in july but I heard they are light crabs....big tin cans Embarassed.....always wanted to try there myself by could'nt pull myself from the obx to drive over there.

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 09:43:42 AM »

Hello Everyone,
New here and have a question about the Mattamuskeet area. I am heading down that way around July 4th and wondering if the crabbing is good on the lake during that time. Also, any tips would be appreciated! I hear they are huge down there.
Thanks!

FishtheIBX
They are no bigger then anywhere else. Bring plenty of repellent, flies are like helicopters down there. Crab by the canal locks, and keep an eye out for water moccasins. There are poisious snakes in the area among other things. A lot of shallow areas, I believe the water depth averages 2 - 3' for the whole lake. There is a site online where you can get a map of the lake and a brochure of everything about the lake. Wink

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise on Albemarle

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 08:23:17 PM »

Map for the Lake >>  http://www.fws.gov/mattamuskeet/directions.html  There is quite a few pretty crabs down there, but .....make sure you go early in morning seems the best time. Say from 6ish to about 11am then the heat kicks in and crabs lay up for a bit. On that same note you can pretty much find crabs in any of the canals that lead to sound that arent blocked by flood gates. There is also Bell Island fishing pier which pretty close to the lake as well >>  http://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/recEdMore.cfm?ID=42532

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise on Albemarle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 08:28:28 PM »

They are no bigger then anywhere else. Bring plenty of repellent, flies are like helicopters down there. Crab by the canal locks, and keep an eye out for water moccasins. There are poisious snakes in the area among other things. A lot of shallow areas, I believe the water depth averages 2 - 3' for the whole lake. There is a site online where you can get a map of the lake and a brochure of everything about the lake. Wink
While they may or not be bigger than anywhere else, for land locked crabs they have set records, while those numbers have changed do to changes in flood gates and other weather factors, there still huge crabs around in big numbers. But as Joe stated, please be careful about snakes they have been pretty bad this year due to drier conditions....OH and <giggle> those are just not ordinary flies ... mosquitos as big as helicopters.  lol :p

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
FishtheIBX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 12:30:49 PM »

Thanks for sharing and for the links! I frequent Belhaven and am aware of the huge and plentiful mosquitos  Grin  !!

Tight Lines!

FishtheIBX
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise on Albemarle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »

Thanks for sharing and for the links! I frequent Belhaven and am aware of the huge and plentiful mosquitos  Grin  !!
NP glad to help.....a year later  Roll Eyes Undecided  laugh laugh

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home