October 20, 2014, 12:23:04 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Time of Day to Crab?  (Read 9165 times)
RudisFriend

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2011, 10:51:21 AM »

Hello!

I've read on many posts that the best time to go crabbing is a couple of hours before and after high tide.  When I pull up the Chesapeake tide report, there are two high tides.  The times seem to really vary daily.  This may sound like a stupid question but which one should I use?  The time where it will be darker (after sunset til wee morning hours)?  or the other?

Thanks!

(Also, if it makes a difference, I will be using traps from a bridge or pier.)
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 10:59:38 AM »

as long as the tide is moving it doesn't make a difference .  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
lreops
Lifetime Member

Before my Hair Implants

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 01:47:50 PM »

One thing you need to keep in mind is (1) where are you getting your tide information, (2) where is that tide information being taken at, and (3) is it where you are going to be. There are a couple of tide sites that you can access that will allow you to zero in, or at least be close to where you want to go and you can then make the adjustments needed to suit your needs.

They are:
                 http://gofishingforum.net/tide_stations.pl?state=md

http://mddnr.chesapeakebay.net/tides/Nbaytide.html

These are only two of many that can be found.

But, as Tat stated, the only real important thing is that there is a moving tide (unless you are lucky enough to be sitting right on top of them when the tide slacks).

One other thing, don't be only concerned with "High Tide" as "Low Tide" can be just as productive.

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
coggi

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 04:28:29 PM »

as long as the tide is moving it doesn't make a difference .  Wink

This is my thoughts as well
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/tides/index.asp is what I use.

I found the best bet is get out as early as you can and hope the tide plays along in your favor. I say this because the early bird gets the spot. Also imo if you put in fresh bait at slack tide it will still get you a few crabs while ya wait on the tide to start moving.
skiff1700

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »

like everyone said high low it doesnt matter as long as the water is moving one way or the other.
KennyCainJr.

Natty Boh's and Balmer O's Hon!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 06:00:34 PM »

Hello!

I've read on many posts that the best time to go crabbing is a couple of hours before and after high tide.  When I pull up the Chesapeake tide report, there are two high tides.  The times seem to really vary daily.  This may sound like a stupid question but which one should I use?  The time where it will be darker (after sunset til wee morning hours)?  or the other?

Thanks!

(Also, if it makes a difference, I will be using traps from a bridge or pier.)

I've had success morning, mid day, and evening... when the tide moves the crabs move!  IMO the best time of day is whenever the tide is moving!

Capt. Seaweed... as my pops would say!
kiphorn

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 12:36:13 PM »

So if High Tide is 5:27 and sunrise is 5:51 does this mean that we'll be starting at the beginning of a slack tide?

When the crabbing starts and with little water movement will the crabs be closer to shore in say 3-4' of water?
Dreampixels
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 12:46:58 PM »

So if High Tide is 5:27 and sunrise is 5:51 does this mean that we'll be starting at the beginning of a slack tide?

When the crabbing starts and with little water movement will the crabs be closer to shore in say 3-4' of water?

You will be starting at the beginning of of the Out Going Tide. The water flow should increase hourly untill just before low tide.

As far as depth, this will depend on where you are, water temp, dissolved oxygen and many other factors.

But you will have moving water for about 3 to 4 hours.

I wish to die like my father did, in his sleep unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan

"Because I walk only in my shoes I enjoy Controversy. It allows me to view the minds and souls of others." Dreampixels

Extremist think "Communication" means agreeing with them. Leo Rosten
Angela142

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 03:58:57 PM »

We think its best to get there before sunrise so you are ready for the hungry crabbies when they wake up.  We go fishing during slack tide and look for a new spot to drop the traps too.
Night Wing

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 05:17:13 AM »

Here is another tide table with lots of graphics that I use for the state of Texas where I live, but the table also includes all the states including Maryland. Just pick a spot closest to you, click on a link and once on that page, start scrolling on down the page (to get past the ads at the top of the page) and you'll see lots of great info.

This page will include a tide chart, solunar tide chart, tide timetable and fishing/crabbing locations and it's the best site I've ever found on the internet.

http://www.tides4fishing.com/us/maryland

Kayak: Ocean Kayak "Scupper Pro TW". Length: 14' 9". Width: 26". Weight: 55#
LOWRIDER60

Tyler & me

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 05:56:33 PM »

I usually go in the afternoon as there is less traffic at the ramp as well as on the water.I always check the tide (md dnr tide finder) and go on a fresh tide.I prefer the incoming tide as it seems to be stronger running. I am curious about the tide chart as it shows a numerical value with a given tide (1.5 ) and the high tide always has a greater number.Of course this has to do with the stage of the moon and the pull it has on the earth (tides)  , but why is the number value for the high tide always greater? The tide always has to go out enough for the stronger running incoming tide ...........Also during any given tide high or low when is it running the strongest at the begining,end?  Maybe I'm overthinking this as now my head hurts...........I need a beer!!!!!!!!! Roll Eyes

Out of the 'Dena"
crabbydad

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 08:03:30 PM »

i always crab the afternoon during the week because i don't like the crowds. i do just fine. i haven't been the wye in 6 or 7 years, but when i used to crab there on weekday afternoons, i had the river to myself by 5:00 p.m., and i usually did better then the people i talked to who were coming in when i was going out. my crabs go in the fridge to steam the next day.
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 01:33:35 PM »

first and last light....tide really dosent matter as much as the light..Wink  not to me anyway

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home