April 19, 2014, 04:07:55 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deleware - Cape Henlopen  (Read 5231 times)
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2003, 12:59:17 PM »

Decided to forego the first crabbing venture in the Chesapeake yesterday and wait another week or two.
So, took the wife and son over to Cape Henlopen in search of clams and whelks.  Did fairly well.  Later walked the pier with rod in hand (of course) and caught blues (2-3 lbs) and flounder (caught 2, but only one was legal).  A number of crabbers were using crab traps and were not having much luck.   Several had crabbed from mid-morning though the afternoon's high tide and had only 6-7 keepers.  One fellow who regularly crabs this area said crabs this year are few and far between.  Worst he's ever seen this time of year, when he normally get 2-3 dozen.  Well, looks like linguini with clams for supper today.  Just wish I had a dozen #1 jimmies on the side to go with it....

Crabpop

Severn, Md USA
eelfisher

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2003, 06:40:21 PM »

hey crabpop, i'm startin to forget what them crabs look like, been so long since i seen one.

i decided to forego WORK yesterday since it was so nice out and go fishin with my buddy. we ended up with 5 nice keeper flounder with alot of shorts, and  a few decent bluefish. we checked the bridge pilings on the way in and didnt see any crabs. any other year we shoulda seen them. this year sux Cry Cry
Whit

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2003, 09:50:29 PM »

Crabpop

Where do you clam at Cape Henelopen? We have gone to Lewes for years I have always wanted to try clamming . I haven't gone since I was a kid on Cape Cod. Any help or advice that you can provide would be appreciated.
Thanks

Whit
Howard

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 01:10:56 PM »

Crab Pop:
Ya just got to be persistent and don't be afraid to move around a little bit to catch the critters.  Believe me the crabs are there and they are hungry.  I'm expecting a big shed this next moon so we can get those big boys up into the Wye River....that's when the crabbing for me gets serious!

Take care and be safe out there.

R/Howard
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2003, 08:16:02 PM »

Whit, from Lewes follow Rt. 9, past the Lewes-Cape May Ferry Terminal, to Cape Henlopen State Park.  After you go through the park entrance and pay the fee, take the next left. At the intersection take another left, then bear to your right and one more left (look for the pier signs).  This will take you to the parking lot for the 1/4 mile long pier.  The beach area on the entire left side of the pier is open to clamming. This beach area is expansive and is shaped like the last quarter of the moon.  At low tide clammers have access to a lot of area that is otherwise under water.  The fishing center at the beginning of the pier (Hook, Line & Sinker Fishing Center) sells clamming rakes, although you can probably find them cheaper at a fishing supply store outside the park.  All you need is a clamming rake and a handled bucket with sea water to carry the clams and whelks. Reason for the sea water in the bucket is to encourage the clams to blow the sand out of their shells.  Now the hard part: you just walk along looking for dimples or abnormalities in the wet sand -- there may or may not be a small hole -- rake the immediate area of the dimple and you should find a clam.  There is an information board posted near the entrance to the pier which will tell you minimum size requirements for the different types of clams and whelks.  With whelks, we just eat the foot, which can be quite large.  Remainder can be used as bait for fishing.  Whatever you do don't overcook either the clams or whelks.  They have a way of turning into chewing gum if overcooked.  Tongue  Good clammin' and good eatin' to ya.

Crabpop

Severn, Md USA
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2003, 08:34:02 PM »

Howard, I'll be one happy fella when the Wye and Chester Rivers go active.  Sure hope it's in the next couple of weeks.  Then the only challenge will be getting up early enough to get to the Wye Landing ramp by OH-DARK-THIRTY to find a place to park the boat trailer within a reasonable distance.  Hope to see you over there!!

Crabpop

Severn, Md USA
Whit

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2003, 01:02:44 AM »

Crabpop

Thanks for the info, I can't wait to try it!
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 05:22:58 PM »

Whit, I gave you some bum info; facing the pier, the entire RIGHT side is open to clamming, not the left. ((Well, it's the left if you're out on the pier catchin' fish)).

Crabpop

Severn, Md USA

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home