August 31, 2014, 06:15:08 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to tell crabs are bad?  (Read 3482 times)
BlueMarlin478

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2011, 03:38:45 PM »

So I have a couple traps by the NYAC marina by Glen Island, usually let them soak for a day or two and then check for crabbies.

Only problem is lately when I've picked up the crabs and traps, the crabs smell like straight manure. Which leads me to believe they're bad?

Just wanted to see everyone's consensus and how to tell if a crab is sick/bad/shouldnt be eaten.

Thanks guys.
mikeschildt

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 05:12:33 PM »

Could that area have been affected by the couple million gallon raw sewage spill I saw on the news a few days ago? The news said dont eat any seafood in the areas that are under a warning. Either way I would not risk it. I have only been sick from seafood once, bad clams, I would never want that again. I would report it to the local DEC office and see if there are any warnings in your area from that spill. Good luck.
mikeschildt

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 05:14:15 PM »

New York (CNN) -- Beachgoers are being warned to stay out of the water this weekend at four popular beaches around New York City after raw sewage from a Manhattan plant spilled into the Hudson River, authorities said.

Health advisories also have been issued for portions of the Hudson River, the East River, the Harlem River and the Kill Van Kull, cautioning people against participating in water-related activities such as canoeing, kayaking and swimming, according to the New York City Department of Health.

The sewage spill began Wednesday after a fire began in the engine room of the North River Wastewater Treatment Plant, according to a press release Friday from the New York City Department of Environmental Protection.

The sewage spill was stopped Friday night, and two of the engines damaged by the fire have been brought back online, the department said.

The health advisories were issued for South Beach, Midland Beach and Cedar Grove Beach on Staten Island, and Sea Gate in Brooklyn, according to the release.

The beaches are not closed, but the New York City Department of Health recommends that people not swim or enter the water at those locations. They also recommend that young and elderly people, as well as anyone suffering from a medical condition, not go near the water at those beaches.

The advisories were expected to be in place until Monday. That would encompass one of this summer's hottest weekends, with the National Weather Service forecasting high temperatures Saturday of 99 degrees Fahreinheit and in the high 80s Sunday.

Additionally, authorities were testing the waters in the harbor and at other aquatic locales that could potentially be affected by the sewage leak, the press release said.

The plant is responsible for treating 120 million gallons of wastewater a day on Manhattan's west side.
BlueMarlin478

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 05:30:19 PM »

Yea I did see that, but this is in the Western Sound, right near New Rochelle/City Island.
terriblecrabber

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 06:02:41 PM »

Yea I did see that, but this is in the Western Sound, right near New Rochelle/City Island.

There are millions of gallons of [shiz] in the water and your crabs smell like manure, I wouldn't risk it.

EDIT - I just checked google maps, the treatment plant is almost exactly opposite you on the island. If the water is flowing south (which apparently it is, since they closed/strongly discourage using the entire eastern shore of SI), you're probably alright. If the water is flowing north, you're probably getting [shiz] from the Harlem River (or whatever the river's name is that runs along Harlem River Dr). I'm no expert, but either way, you've probably got [shiz] in the water you're crabbing in; go to Jersey and hope they're not down playing the fact that 5 million gallons of [shiz] an hour are pouring into the water as much as NY is.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 06:20:07 PM by terriblecrabber » Logged
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

QUEEN CHARLOTTE ISLANDS, BC CANADA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 06:11:18 PM »

You just answered your own question.  If a crab smells (especially when they smell like manure) those crabs should immediately be put on your "DO NOT EAT" list.      laugh oops

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
shedking
Lifetime Member

Countdown to Wyeapolooza

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 06:46:54 PM »

stupid

“Be thankful for your allotment in an imperfect world.  Though better circumstances can be imagined, far worse are nearer misses than you probably care to realize.”

― Richelle E. Goodrich
saltysenior

ex-wye rat---who now C B C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 07:46:28 PM »

it's only a form of mustard.....some love it... Shocked
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 07:51:29 PM »

Pure and simple what else would you consider eating that smells like !!!!!!! I hope there is no answer which is your answer. Wink

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
headlessblade

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 08:47:45 PM »

eat them and find out ~.~  sick2 sick
bluecrab2u

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 11:48:44 AM »

I was cleaning a dozen crabs I caught Sunday in the Bass River; Dennis, MA. One of the crabs just kind of fell apart when I tried to take it apart. It was not a soft shell, so I was suspicious. I tasted just a small bit of the meat and man, it was BITTER. Now, I have occasionally cooked recently deceased crabs with no problem, but this was way different - almost like it had to have been dead or near-dead when I caught it. It didn't smell any different from the other cooked crabs. Never had that happen before. And even though I just barely tasted that small piece of crabmeat, the bitter taste stayed with me for a good 20 minutes or so. Anyway, my tip-off was the way the crab just kind of fell apart. As I think back over the years, there have been a few occasions when a crab did smell bad, and these I would just discard. I would say if you have any doubt about a crab's health, toss it. Not worth getting sick over.
Dreampixels
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 12:01:34 PM »

Those enjoying this thread may enjoy reading this information.

http://www.bluecrab.info/diseases.html

I wish to die like father did, in his sleep unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan

"Because I walk only in my shoes I enjoy Controversy. It allows me to view the minds and souls of others." Dreampixels

Extremist think "Communication" means agreeing with them. Leo Rosten
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

QUEEN CHARLOTTE ISLANDS, BC CANADA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 12:08:54 PM »

it's only a form of mustard.....some love it... Shocked

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
shedking
Lifetime Member

Countdown to Wyeapolooza

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 12:16:52 PM »

Interesting read. Thanks.

“Be thankful for your allotment in an imperfect world.  Though better circumstances can be imagined, far worse are nearer misses than you probably care to realize.”

― Richelle E. Goodrich

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home