April 20, 2014, 02:00:50 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exactly how strong are they?  (Read 3583 times)
cedar999

Catch and release - into the grease!

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2011, 10:39:47 PM »

I've been wondering just how powerful these crabs' claws are, but haven't found a good discussion anywhere. Anyone have a good source?

Thanks,
Paul
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 10:41:15 PM »

Put your finger in it's claw. then you will find out .  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Diamondback Terrapin

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 01:24:53 AM »

Put your finger in it's claw. then you will find out .  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Even with gloves i got a bad pinch. It left an imprint on my finger.
on the hook
Lifetime Member

Location: Central Pa/S Jersey till I can find some work somewhere

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 02:38:29 AM »

Been pinched where the crab got me by both claws, and drew blood on ALL 4 spots............I tried to see how much they could "lift" years back, and 2-2 litre bottles were no problem. 3 they could clean, but no lift..........

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.
TAXI CRAB
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 06:17:28 AM »

Some of the wire in my traps is pinched together .

A closed mouth gathers no foot.
Terrapin T
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 06:20:45 AM »

It also depends on how recently they shed, i.e. they're relatively weaker right after a shed and their new muscles have not filled up their new larger shell.

Grateful to be in The Land of Pleasant Living

"His Fadder was a Mudder"
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 08:59:42 AM »

I've been wondering just how powerful these crabs' claws are, but haven't found a good discussion anywhere. Anyone have a good source? Thanks,
Paul
http://www.biolbull.org/cgi/reprint/168/2/321.pdf

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
cedar999

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 09:19:24 PM »

Great source thank you! And thanks everyone for all the info. -Paul
cedar999

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 04:22:49 PM »

Jack, thanks again for that link! Besides giving me a couple of new (to me) search terms ("chelae" - claws and "force" as a more precise description of strength), I learned this, which may be old hat to the regulars here but I'll post it just in case.

The blue crab has two claws, but they are not the same - one is the "crusher" and one is the "cutter." Usually the smaller one is the cutter, but that depends on whether the other claw has been ripped off and is regenerating.

The Crusher can apply much more force than the Cutter, though it is slower than the cutter, which is more agile and can catch swimming fish.

Usually the Crusher is the right hand and the Cutter is the left. But if a Crusher gets lost, the existing cutter will swell to become a Crusher, and the regenerated claw will become a new cutter, and the crab becomes a lefty.  Hence the innate inferiority of southpaws...  Wink [Ha! sorry lefties, both my parents are "wrong handed" and I couldn't resist the dig]

The Crusher is used to crush mollusks, the cutter is used to help harvest the flesh. So the surmise is that when a crab loses his crusher and is left with only one claw - a cutter, that claw will get stronger, and turn into a "Crusher" as he tries to feed himself while the other claw regenerates, and when it does that will become a cutter.

Apparently, in the adult population the ratio is 85% "normal" right-handed crabs and 15% southpaws.

Not going anywhere in particular with this just thought it was interesting.

-Paul

P.S. Takeaway message, if you are going to get pinched and have a choice, don't get pinched by the crusher.  They crush live mussels with those fingers, could you do that with yours?...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:47:53 PM by cedar999 » Logged
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

QUEEN CHARLOTTE ISLANDS, BC CANADA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 09:50:14 PM »

the...crush-er

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
cedar999

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 03:37:11 AM »

the...crush-er

Now that's beautiful!
Dreampixels
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 06:24:52 AM »

I found the article interesting yet confusing. I could extract the 2 different claws having 2 different and distinct purposes. The actual details of how the testing was done was also interesting.

For some reason however I was unable to extract any understandable Force in PSI or other units of force measurements I could relate to. If someone did indeed interpret such please advise as I too am left handed.

The best I can derive is at 42.8 newtons per Square Centimeter it would have about 62.06151748 PSI. The plus and minus factor still has me scratching.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:55:01 AM by Dreampixels » Logged

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan

"Because I walk only in my shoes I enjoy Controversy. It allows me to view the minds and souls of others." Dreampixels

Extremist think "Communication" means agreeing with them. Leo Rosten
cedar999

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 07:00:42 AM »

I found the article interesting yet confusing. I could extract the 2 different claws having 2 different and distinct purposes. The actual details of how the testing was done was also interesting.

For some reason however I was unable to extract any understandable Force in PSI or other units of force measurements I could relate to. If someone did indeed interpret such please advise as I too am left handed.

The best I can derive is at 42.8 newtons per Square Centimeter it would have about 62.06151748 PSI. The plus and minus factor still has me scratching.

Me too. I did find an abstract to another article online which I think would answer the question (search "chelae" and "force") but it costs 40 bucks, which is too rich for me. I'll keep looking...
Dreampixels
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 07:11:28 AM »

Me too. I did find an abstract to another article online which I think would answer the question (search "chelae" and "force") but it costs 40 bucks, which is too rich for me. I'll keep looking...

I'll give ya a number for.........hmmmmmm 10 bucks?    That is a 75% discount.........now you can't beat that with a stick................. Grin

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan

"Because I walk only in my shoes I enjoy Controversy. It allows me to view the minds and souls of others." Dreampixels

Extremist think "Communication" means agreeing with them. Leo Rosten
cedar999

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 12:13:37 PM »

I'll give ya a number for.........hmmmmmm 10 bucks?    That is a 75% discount.........now you can't beat that with a stick................. Grin

That's Amazing! Thanks!  Wink
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

QUEEN CHARLOTTE ISLANDS, BC CANADA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 12:38:24 PM »

Or as Milton Berle once said:    "Speak softly and carry a big schtick"   laugh laugh laugh

Might have been some other commedian...

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home