April 18, 2014, 02:14:56 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Blue Crabs better in Northern States Or Southern States?  (Read 5198 times)
John WAsmuth

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 11:24:25 PM »

Whats JO#1?
coggi

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 12:31:40 AM »

Whats JO#1?

Seasoning.
saltysenior

ex-wye rat---who now C B C

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 07:48:57 AM »

You all need to try wye river crabs. You may change your mind about what a good crab taste likes. Not bashing anyone just saying.

i ate wye river crabs,all caught within 1mile from where i lived, once or twice a month,for ten seasons.......crabs do not always taste the same,even though they are caught in the same local.. 
Crabs_R_Yummy

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2011, 06:47:36 PM »

i think that they all taste the same but i've been hearing that bigger crabs come from more southern waters

The Blue Claw Reaper
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2011, 07:12:34 PM »

NORTH CAROLINA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Roll Eyes
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2011, 07:40:15 PM »

I just had some crabs from Florida and, to me, they lacked flavor. They were good but.......
Ct crabs are good and I've had Wye crabs that I thought were better. I think the cooler water sets the flavor. I'm sure water quality has something to do with flavor too!
I used to Lobster in CT and our Lobsters were good but I thought Canadian Lobster tasted better than the ones I was catching. Again, cooler water?

I also agree JO#1!

Retired in paradise!
fisheyed

It gets in the blood

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2011, 10:15:48 PM »

cooler=more fat but salinity and diet also contribute.  Many in md are off clam beds and in brackish.
crabman1969
In Memoriam 12/2013
Supporting Member

Get out of my wheelhouse!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2011, 04:27:50 PM »

The best tasting crabs are from the wye river in maryland.  Ive tasted them from all over and will never do that again.  Its wye or nothing!  Couldnt even give me another crab from elsewhere.  Plus Im one of the better crabbers on that river.  Commercial crabbers watch me for a reason but they dont have the balls to move around when necessary.  Same old spot year in and year out for them.  Props to boog powell the ex baseball player, he does well on the wye when I see him there.  Everybody has there secret depths at which to catch them but for me 6 to 18 feet most of the year.  6 feet of course i prefer cause less pulling with the traps. 
Crabpot Man
Lifetime Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2012, 05:51:41 AM »

NORTH CAROLINA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Roll Eyes

But is that North Carolina or North Carolina/Maryland?

You know how much the flavor changes as the truck crosses state lines.  Grin
fishingtom
Lifetime Member

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2012, 06:43:36 AM »

The best tasting crabs are from the wye river in Maryland.  Ive tasted them from all over and will never do that again.  Its Wye or nothing!  Couldn't even give me another crab from elsewhere.  Plus I'm one of the better crabbers on that river.  Commercial crabbers watch me for a reason but they dint have the balls to move around when necessary.  Same old spot year in and year out for them.  Props to boog powell the ex baseball player, he does well on the Wye when I see him there.  Everybody has there secret depths at which to catch them but for me 6 to 18 feet most of the year.  6 feet of course i prefer cause less pulling with the traps.  

Just my opinion, but I find it extremely hard to believe that commercial guys are watching you and your pull up traps. laugh laugh laugh  As for being one of the better crabbers on the Wye that is a extremely bold statement.  Posting on this forum you are in the company of some of the best blue claw crabbers in the world, myself excluded...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 06:56:10 AM by fishingtom » Logged
fishingtom
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2012, 08:08:57 AM »

The best tasting crabs are from the wye river in maryland.  Ive tasted them from all over and will never do that again.  Its wye or nothing!  Couldnt even give me another crab from elsewhere.  Plus Im one of the better crabbers on that river.  Commercial crabbers watch me for a reason but they dont have the balls to move around when necessary.  Same old spot year in and year out for them.  Props to boog powell the ex baseball player, he does well on the wye when I see him there.  Everybody has there secret depths at which to catch them but for me 6 to 18 feet most of the year.  6 feet of course i prefer cause less pulling with the traps. 

Just found this post you wrote, Now I am confused...bsssr?

Re: wye river crabbing
Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 02:28:24 PM
I will get that book and read it!!  Thanks!  In the mean time I am counting the days down too my first trip on the wye river. 182 days!  will be using 30 traps.  Half the traps with razor back clams the others chicken neck. 7 to 12 foot of water.  If I cant waite thats long then I will go to Tred Avon river in Cambridge in the end of April. Hope to see a few of you guys down there next season!
lreops
Lifetime Member

Before my Hair Implants

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2012, 08:56:15 AM »

I will get that book and read it!!  Thanks!  In the mean time I am counting the days down too my first trip on the wye river. 182 days!  will be using 30 traps.  Half the traps with razor back clams the others chicken neck. 7 to 12 foot of water.  If I cant waite thats long then I will go to Tred Avon river in Cambridge in the end of April. Hope to see a few of you guys down there next season!

Looks like the infamous investigative Winter talents of the BCA members are still among the best anywhere. Good job and Crabman1969, "You've been BUSTED !!

Let the lesson be learned, don't try to pull any tomfoolery or Shenanigans around here................you will be caught  laugh laugh laugh

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
TAXI CRAB
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2012, 08:57:10 AM »

I think he meant first trip of the season .   Boog Powell  LMAO laugh laugh laugh  

A closed mouth gathers no foot.
Dreampixels
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2012, 09:22:16 AM »

Book'em Defrano!

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan

"Because I walk only in my shoes I enjoy Controversy. It allows me to view the minds and souls of others." Dreampixels

Extremist think "Communication" means agreeing with them. Leo Rosten
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2012, 10:01:15 AM »

I think he meant first trip of the season .   

Agreed.

5th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek
June 21, 2014
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

trips 13 Bu.- 18 Biggest 8 1/8"

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2012, 01:12:40 PM »

Book'em Defrano!

BUSTED..... laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
crabman1969
In Memoriam 12/2013
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2012, 03:59:22 PM »

Well it might be a bold statement but after 25+ years crabbing there Ive learned a few things about that river.  And also learned things from you guys that I will be using.  Give yourselfs a tap on the back.  Ive had commercial guys watching me and come back the following week and be right in the spot I was doing well at.  Also coming into the boat ramp with my catch and seeing what others had done shows me Ive done better then most.  Again bold yes I admit but its f****** winter and I miss it.  So I just wanted to get you guys stered up!  But come on down and we can throw 1 hundred dollars in a hat and have a challenge.  Just like deadliest catch. Then I will buy you a beer!  and shake your hand.
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2012, 04:05:13 PM »

I have a feeling you are going to see your challenge is going receive a lot of action.    Wink

5th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek
June 21, 2014
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com
Dreampixels
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2012, 04:22:54 PM »

Oh Lord forgive me for this............Can I bring my Wal..............oh just forget it.............

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan

"Because I walk only in my shoes I enjoy Controversy. It allows me to view the minds and souls of others." Dreampixels

crabman1969
In Memoriam 12/2013
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2012, 06:44:20 PM »

Looking forward to it!  and when I said 18 feet in an earlier post thats in november.  Either way see yall down there.   
TAXI CRAB
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2012, 08:14:52 PM »

I'm going to bring Eddie Murray. I bet he is one [Sam Hill] of a dipper  laugh

A closed mouth gathers no foot.
fishingtom
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2012, 09:06:11 PM »

I have crabbed in front of Harold Baynes house does that count?  Deadliest catch not hardly, more like Twilight Zone...
crabman1969
In Memoriam 12/2013
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2012, 09:08:18 PM »

Not kidding about boog powell.  seen him down there a few times and talked with him.  first thing that got my attention was his head.  would fill a bushel basket!  and you guys from PA.  you better hold onto your 100 dollars cause I will out crab you any day of the week except wed.
fishingtom
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2012, 09:15:44 PM »

A fool and his money are soon parted, there are quite a few amazingly well schooled people that schlep down from Pa. and even Jersey that I would put money on.  Some of these guys have rigs that you can't help but envy.

Seriously, I know you just registered on the forum, but get to know some of these people before you start throwing down.  There are guys on here that have been crabbing longer than you have been alive...and they are 99.9% good people
(Dreampixels is a little out there) Roll Eyes
Dreampixels
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2012, 09:18:01 PM »

A fool and his money are soon parted, there are quite a few amazingly well schooled people that schlep down from Pa. and even Jersey that I would put money on.  Some of these guys have rigs that you can't help but envy.

Seriously, I know you just registered on the forum, but get to know some of these people before you start throwing down.  There are guys on here that have been crabbing longer than you have been alive...and they are 99.9% good people
(Dreampixels is a little out there) Roll Eyes

Hey I resemble that remark......................... laugh laugh laugh laugh

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home