April 20, 2014, 02:25:42 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: just venting  (Read 1659 times)
double E
Supporting Member

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2011, 11:04:03 AM »

This makes no sense to me.
REC.LICENSE
(3) The trotline gear used from the boat may not exceed 1,200 feet in length for the baited portion:

(a) Regardless of the number of individuals licensed to catch crabs for recreational purposes on a boat;

UNLICENSE
(1) An individual may not use or possess on board a vessel a trotline or trotlines with a baited portion more than 600 feet in length to catch or attempt to catch crabs for recreational purposes; or

(2) If two or more individuals are on a boat, not more than two trotlines with a baited portion more than 600 feet each may be used or possessed on board a vessel to catch or attempt to catch crabs for recreational purposes.

Why should two unlicensed crabbers get to use two lines of their max length, But two rec.license crabbers can not. I mean after all the second lic. on the boat can get his 1 bushel so why can't he use his leagal  gear to do so.
KI Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 11:57:03 AM »

If that makes no sense to you, stop reading before you become really baffled Smiley. I agree with you! Marylands regs were obviously not written to be understood or to necessarily to make sense. There are way too many "grey" areas and worse yet, contradictions. There are several places they say that you can do one thing and on the next page they say you cannot do the very same thing. I personally have pointed some of these out to Annapolis in the past and there responce was that it would be the way that could be interpreted as the "most restrictive". Imagine that....big government being restrictive..... Shocked
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

QUEEN CHARLOTTE ISLANDS, BC CANADA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 12:01:11 PM »

Of course it doesn't make sense,  you're  dealing with the government here!   laugh

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
Crabbin Fever
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 12:33:11 PM »

Of course it doesn't make sense,  you're  dealing with the government here!   laugh
thumbsup
Titan1051
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 12:41:04 PM »

Just remember their motto:  "We are the government, we are here to help you". 
tugcapt
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 12:52:50 PM »

This makes no sense to me.
REC.LICENSE
(3) The trotline gear used from the boat may not exceed 1,200 feet in length for the baited portion:

(a) Regardless of the number of individuals licensed to catch crabs for recreational purposes on a boat;

UNLICENSE
(1) An individual may not use or possess on board a vessel a trotline or trotlines with a baited portion more than 600 feet in length to catch or attempt to catch crabs for recreational purposes; or

(2) If two or more individuals are on a boat, not more than two trotlines with a baited portion more than 600 feet each may be used or possessed on board a vessel to catch or attempt to catch crabs for recreational purposes.

Why should two unlicensed crabbers get to use two lines of their max length, But two rec.license crabbers can not. I mean after all the second lic. on the boat can get his 1 bushel so why can't he use his leagal  gear to do so.

Looks like you have rules for two different parts of Maryland.  What you have posted doesn't belong together.

Honorary Chesapeake Spudman
crabtracker

Mook Want Crab!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 12:55:14 PM »

the first is for the bay and it's tributaries, the second is for coastal bays, tributaries and the Atlantic ocean. I'm pretty sure you need a license for both, although the coastal regs don't actually mention it. Huh

only a fool fights in a burning house
a Man will walk into [Sam Hill] with his eyes wide open,
 but even the Devil can't fool a Dog.
cja313

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 01:01:49 PM »

According to what I'm reading, either the boat or somebody in the boat has to ahve a REC license to crab.  I dont think you are allowed to crab via a trotline if nobody in the boat or the boat itself, doesnt have a license....

•INDIVIDUAL CRABBING
A license is required of an individual who uses the following gear or takes the following quantity of crabs:
■Trotline
(1200 feet of baited line maximum allowed) floats must be the same size, color and shape
■11 to 30 traps or rings
■Up to 10 eel pots for own bait
■More than 2 dozen with a limit of 1 bushel of hard crabs
■More than 1 dozen with a limit of 2 dozen soft crabs or peelers
◦A license is NOT required of an individual who uses only the following gear and takes the following quantity of crabs:
■10 or fewer traps and rings
■dipnets
■handlines
■No more than 2 dozen hard crabs
■No more than 1 dozen soft crabs or peelers
◦OWNER OF PRIVATE SHORELINE PROPERTY
■Creel limits vary depending on whether the crabber is licensed or not - see Individual Crabbing information above.
■2 crab pots from a private propoerty or pier or within 100 yds of shore and attached by line
■Two cull rings required in upper chamber
■One measuring at least 2 3/16"
■One measuring at least 2 5/16"
■Turtle Reduction Device no larger than 1 3/4" x 4 3/4"
◦CRABBING FROM A BOAT
■A recreational crabbing boat may be licensed; however the boat license covers only ONE individual on board the vessel.
■The owner of the licensed recreational crabbing boat is also issued a complementary statewide Individual Recreational Crabbing License
◦CRABBING GEAR
◦If the boat is licensed for recreational crabbing with the Recreational Crabbing Boat License or at least one person in the boat possesses an individual recreational crabbing license:
■1200 feet of trotline (baited portion)
■Maximum 30 crab traps or rings
■Handlines
■Dipnets
◦CATCH LIMITS FOR A LICENSED BOAT:
■Without any persons in the licensed boat who also possess an Individual Recreational Crabbing License;
■1 bushel of hard crabs
■2 dozen soft crabs or peelers
■Owner of the licensed boat in the boat with unlicensed crabbers;
■1 bushel of hard crabs
■Two or more individuals are on a boat and one individual is licensed (not the boat owner);
■2 bushels of hard crabs
■If 2 or more licensed persons are in the licensed boat;
■2 bushels of hard crabs
◦CATCH LIMITS FOR AN UNLICENSED BOAT:
■Without any licensed persons in the unlicensed boat;
■4 dozen hard crabs
■1 dozen soft crabs or peelers
■One licensed crabber in the boat alone or with unlicensed crabbers;
■1 bushel of hard crabs
■2 dozen soft crabs and peelers
■If 2 or more licensed persons in the unlicensed boat;
■2 bushels of hard crabs
■Special Note: A person less than 16 years of age is exempted from needing a license but, unless they purchase a crabbing license, they are restricted to the same limits as an unlicensed crabber.
tugcapt
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 01:03:05 PM »

Read the regs, you do not need a license for coastal bays if you are just CRABBING.  You do need a fishing license now for the coast for FISHING.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/regulations/regindex.asp?page=bluecrab

the top is Chesapeake bay(license required, for trotline), the bottom is Coastal Bays(no license required at all).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 01:10:29 PM by tugcapt » Logged

double E
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 01:30:14 PM »

Now, I see where it says that about the coastal bays/ tributaries sorry. But still do not like the rule that two lic. people can't use two lines. But then again the rules aren't there for me to like, they are there to obey Angry
tugcapt
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 01:42:07 PM »

Now, I see where it says that about the coastal bays/ tributaries sorry. But still do not like the rule that two lic. people can't use two lines. But then again the rules aren't there for me to like, they are there to obey Angry

I don't understand what you mean, so I can help you.  You can use as may lines as you want in the Chesapeake, as long as the total baited length of all the lines is no more than 1200ft per boat. The coastal rules are no more than 1200ft per boat, but you need two poeple where if you have a license in the chesapeake, one person can use 1200ft.

Here is the COMAR for trotline:

 08.02.03.03 Trotlines.
A. An individual may not set or fish a trotline, crab net ring, or collapsible crab trap within 100 feet of another individual's trotline.
B. The length of a trotline is measured along the bait line.
C. In the coastal bays of the Atlantic Ocean and their tidal tributaries:
(1) An individual may not use or possess on board a vessel a trotline or trotlines with a baited portion more than 600 feet in length
to catch or attempt to catch crabs for recreational purposes; or
(2) If two or more individuals are on a boat, not more than two trotlines with a baited portion more than 600 feet each may be used
or possessed on board a vessel to catch or attempt to catch crabs for recreational purposes.
D. In the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries:
(1) Trotline gear may only be used to catch or attempt to catch crabs:
(a) For commercial purposes by an individual licensed in accordance with Natural Resources Article, §4-701, Annotated Code of
Maryland; or
(b) For recreational purposes by an individual licensed in accordance with Regulation .09 of this chapter, or an individual on a boat
licensed as a Chesapeake Bay sport fishing boat license;
(2) An individual licensed to catch crabs for recreational purposes may not use or possess on board a vessel a trotline or trotlineswith a baited portion more than 1,200 feet in length to catch or attempt to catch crabs for recreational purposes; and
Last Updated 06/27/2011 For any recent regulatory changes, please visit
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/regulations/regindex.html
(b) If the boat is licensed as a recreational crabbing boat; or
(c) If the boat is licensed as a Chesapeake Bay sport fishing boat.
E. An individual licensed to catch crabs for commercial purposes may catch crabs for recreational purposes by trotline in
accordance with the provisions of this regulation without paying the fee for recreational crabbing set forth in Regulation .09 of this
chapter.
F. Float Requirements.
(1) A trotline shall have a float of the same color, size, and shape attached to each end.
(2) Floats that have a round or spherical shape shall be at least 12 inches in diameter.
(3) Floats that do not have a round or spherical shape shall be at least 12 inches long and 10 inches wide.

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 01:44:27 PM »

I don't understand what you mean, so I can help you.  You can use as may lines as you want in the Chesapeake, as long as the total baited length of all the lines is no more than 1200ft per boat. The coastal rules are no more than 1200ft per boat, but you need two poeple where if you have a license in the chesapeake, one person can use 1200ft.

Here is the COMAR for trotline:

 08.02.03.03 Trotlines.
A. An individual may not set or fish a trotline, crab net ring, or collapsible crab trap within 100 feet of another individual's trotline.
B. The length of a trotline is measured along the bait line.
C. In the coastal bays of the Atlantic Ocean and their tidal tributaries:
(1) An individual may not use or possess on board a vessel a trotline or trotlines with a baited portion more than 600 feet in length
to catch or attempt to catch crabs for recreational purposes; or
(2) If two or more individuals are on a boat, not more than two trotlines with a baited portion more than 600 feet each may be used
or possessed on board a vessel to catch or attempt to catch crabs for recreational purposes.
D. In the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries:
(1) Trotline gear may only be used to catch or attempt to catch crabs:
(a) For commercial purposes by an individual licensed in accordance with Natural Resources Article, §4-701, Annotated Code of
Maryland; or
(b) For recreational purposes by an individual licensed in accordance with Regulation .09 of this chapter, or an individual on a boat
licensed as a Chesapeake Bay sport fishing boat license;
(2) An individual licensed to catch crabs for recreational purposes may not use or possess on board a vessel a trotline or trotlineswith a baited portion more than 1,200 feet in length to catch or attempt to catch crabs for recreational purposes; and
Last Updated 06/27/2011 For any recent regulatory changes, please visit
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/regulations/regindex.html
(b) If the boat is licensed as a recreational crabbing boat; or
(c) If the boat is licensed as a Chesapeake Bay sport fishing boat.
E. An individual licensed to catch crabs for commercial purposes may catch crabs for recreational purposes by trotline in
accordance with the provisions of this regulation without paying the fee for recreational crabbing set forth in Regulation .09 of this
chapter.
F. Float Requirements.
(1) A trotline shall have a float of the same color, size, and shape attached to each end.
(2) Floats that have a round or spherical shape shall be at least 12 inches in diameter.
(3) Floats that do not have a round or spherical shape shall be at least 12 inches long and 10 inches wide.

I believe he wants to use 1,200' per licensed person up to 2,400' for 2 people on board with licenses.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
tugcapt
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 01:49:56 PM »

Oh, ok. Well, can't help there.

Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

QUEEN CHARLOTTE ISLANDS, BC CANADA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 02:04:36 PM »

Tip:  Sometimes even two different DNR officers interpret the same rules and regulations differently..Best to talk to Diane (I forget her last name) at the MD Department of Natural Resources office and get the answer from her.  This way, if you are ever stopped, you can mention speaking to her. 

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
double E
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 10:01:52 AM »

The rule is clear 1 1200' line per boat. Like I said just venting, I am going to catch my 2 bushel regaurdless, just don't want to take all day to do it
TAXI CRAB
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 10:36:24 AM »

It's already crowded out there. Imagine if everyone was allowed to have more gear  Huh   

A closed mouth gathers no foot.
crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

awww geeeez....another one

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 01:01:20 PM »

If that makes no sense to you, stop reading before you become really baffled Smiley. I agree with you! Marylands regs were obviously not written to be understood or to necessarily to make sense. There are way too many "grey" areas and worse yet, contradictions. There are several places they say that you can do one thing and on the next page they say you cannot do the very same thing. I personally have pointed some of these out to Annapolis in the past and there responce was that it would be the way that could be interpreted as the "most restrictive". Imagine that....big government being restrictive..... Shocked

The obvious would suggest they hired N.J. regulators to script that reg.... Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

"CHESAPEAKE FEVER" catch it and you'll know "WYE"
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 01:51:05 PM »

The only thing I learned from this thread, is not to use yellow text on bluecrab.org

www.MoveEarth.org

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
registereduser

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »

although not specific in the rule book, i was told you do need a Bay Coastal sport license beginning this year to fish/crab coastal waters.
coastal crab rules 10 traps/rings 600ft trotline one person, 25traps/ rings with 2 people on boat, 2 600ft trotlines allowed. doesnt say 1200' not sure about connecting the two. the bay has been 1200' , 30traps/rings

he who talks much says little
registereduser

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 02:54:25 PM »

in tugcapts link it does say no license required for coastal crabbing. fishing only for now

he who talks much says little
crazy crabber

Get the Net!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 02:58:11 PM »

The only thing I learned from this thread, is not to use yellow text on bluecrab.org

I can stare at the sun longer.. I'm still seeing yellow spots...
cja313

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 10:23:48 AM »

LOL yea I thought it would Highlight the text and when I posted it, I couldn't read it either.  Just too lazy to go back and change it Wink laugh
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 10:31:47 AM »

BWAAHHAHHAHHAHHA  YOU BEAT ME TO IT
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

trips 13 Bu.- 18 Biggest 8 1/8"

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 10:37:37 AM »

Looks like you have rules for two different parts of Maryland.  What you have posted doesn't belong together.

duh....thats what i was thinkin..its not the rules that are  bad ...its the interpretation Wink

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

trips 13 Bu.- 18 Biggest 8 1/8"

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 10:38:54 AM »

Tip:  Sometimes even two different DNR officers interpret the same rules and regulations differently..Best to talk to Diane (I forget her last name) at the MD Department of Natural Resources office and get the answer from her.  This way, if you are ever stopped, you can mention speaking to her. 

diane samuels?   do you even crab?

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home