November 27, 2014, 09:03:22 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 14 Foot Jon Boat  (Read 6240 times)
nats11

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2011, 10:57:58 AM »

I am thinking of picking up a 14 foot jon (probably a 1436, riveted due to money constraints). I'm looking for some advice on relatively calm places that I can take a boat this size for crabbing.  I can travel within an hour or so of Annapolis, and all the way out to Ocean City.  Does anyone else out there crab from a boat this size?  My dad has a 21 foot carolina skiff which we use to crab and fish now.  It's got a ton of room and is as stable as can be, but we would like a jon since it's too big for the potomac ramps right around our area.

I would love to hear people's opinions on crabbing from a 1436 jon, and maybe some areas that are fairly calm.  I would probably throw at least a 9.9 HP on it.  Thanks in advance!

Dreampixels
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 12:08:48 PM »

How wide is it? Under the number you posted I have found them from 36" to 56". I would not like less the 56" wide. The wider the more stable.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:11:27 PM by Dreampixels » Logged

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
There are only 2 kinds of RC aircraft. "The kind that have been crashed!" and "The kind that are going to crash!"

Extremist think "Communication" means agreeing with them. Leo Rosten
nats11

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 01:32:03 PM »

The model i'm looking at would have a 53" beam.  I know it's not ideal, but the wider models are more expensive and i'm not what you would call a high roller.  I would stick to the flattest rivers in it.
Dreampixels
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 01:44:01 PM »

The model i'm looking at would have a 53" beam.  I know it's not ideal, but the wider models are more expensive and i'm not what you would call a high roller.  I would stick to the flattest rivers in it.

It should work with 2 people max, just stay on Skinny Flat waters and do not over load it. You may be a higher roller then you think. I watch the weather and winds when I go out and there are times when the expected is just not so.

Biggest problem with small boats are the other boats, those ones that just don't care about you. Of  course you haven been on the water know this to be true.

Good Luck with it......

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
There are only 2 kinds of RC aircraft. "The kind that have been crashed!" and "The kind that are going to crash!"

Extremist think "Communication" means agreeing with them. Leo Rosten
nats11

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 02:37:47 PM »

Thanks Dream.  I couldn't agree more.  I will not take chances out there.  Thats why I posted on here, to find out about some calmer places without having to "test" them out.  Hopefully someone on here will know of some.
suzyq52
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 03:21:19 PM »

We had a 1436 jon boat before we bought the J16 CS. The 36 referred to the width of the actual floor - the beam was like 52 inches. We used it exclusively in Cox Creek on Kent Island.

We both were a bit heavier at the time, and it was just about overloaded with just us in it, using a 3hp 2 stroke motor. Not very stable, and you really had to watch everybody else out there, since there wasn't much gunnel over the waterline! Since then, we've both lost some weight, so maybe that wouldn't be an issue now.

I admit, I'm about the biggest chicken you'll ever meet (SHUT UP, KEARY - I can hear the wheels going in your mind right now! laugh laugh  - sorry nats11 - inside joke). After looking around at what else was out on the water, it seemed like the Carolina Skiff would do what we wanted, and be a more stable boat.

I would say it's doable (we did it), just keep out of places where you can't spit to shore (same inside joke).

I can only stress on so many things in one day - looks like you're not making the list. Tomorrow isn't looking so hot, either.
KI Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 03:57:56 PM »

Your windows of opportunity will be very restricted by the size of this boat. I totally understand about not being a high roller. I have a 1648 with a short transom. This is as small as I would reccommend to anyone. I have had several occasions when it was barely enough boat to get us back safely. I have taken several wakes over the stern in no wake zones from a..holes that don't think (or care) about what they are subjecting other people to. Even though you may be in protected water, it doesn't mean that you will be alone. You may want to consider saving up a while until you can get a little bigger boat than a 1436. I know its tempting to get something asap but it could save your life and be a lot cheaper in the long run to wait and get something a little more seaworthy. If you would wait to get a little bigger boat, get the tall transom if you can. I wish I had! Good Luck!
nats11

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 06:09:49 PM »

I gotta tell you, I had a feeling I would see posts like these about the 1436.  But that's why I posted.  I appreciate everyone's honest feedback, because having always had larger carolina skiffs, I really didn't know how unstable the 1436 really is.  I see some out there occasionally, and i'm sure they are fine in a lot of circumstances, but I really don't like to push the limits.  When bringing my wife on the boat, the last thing I need is for her to feel unsafe.  It's hard enough to get her out there as it is!  I will probably wait and get something slightly bigger.  Thanks everyone, for most likely saving me from buying 2 boats over the next year!
itsslow98

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 05:29:54 AM »

I'd have to say a lot of people are exaggerating about the size. I have a 14' alumacraft crappie jon that has a 36" wide floor and 48 to the top sides. I have been told by 5 people that I have taken crabbing that it's the perfect boat for crabbing. Sits close to the water, plenty stable unless you plan on having two people stand on the one top side of the boat. I take mine all around Hart miller and ive been out when its gotten nasty and all you have to do is be careful. Dont be scared of a smaller boat its plenty, only place I wont take mine is by the bay bridge because there are just too many variables.
RichWill

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 06:40:26 AM »

Nats11 --  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes ::)Check out my 14' boat I have for sale in the For Sale Column on this site.  It really is a sturdy boat for crabbing in most situations.  If interested, give me a call.  Thanks.  Rich
Straw Hatter

A crab in the net is worth two in the water !

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 10:32:34 AM »

I'd have to say a lot of people are exaggerating about the size. I have a 14' alumacraft crappie jon that has a 36" wide floor and 48 to the top sides. I have been told by 5 people that I have taken crabbing that it's the perfect boat for crabbing. Sits close to the water, plenty stable unless you plan on having two people stand on the one top side of the boat. I take mine all around Hart miller and ive been out when its gotten nasty and all you have to do is be careful. Dont be scared of a smaller boat its plenty, only place I wont take mine is by the bay bridge because there are just too many variables.

I have a 14' Alumacraft also and I've never had a problem on any of the MD rivers.  I won't go out in the bay with it, though.  My dad originally bought it with a 4.5 HP 2-stroke and it took forever to get anywhere!  I now have a 15HP 4-stroke which does fine, although there are many times I wish I had a 25HP.

SH
nats11

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 12:07:21 PM »

I still like the idea of the 14 footer, because I want this boat to be really easy to handle by myself.  I am going to get a wider model though, because of my wife and also because my dad can't sit for long periods of time.  I want him to be able to safely stand whenever he needs to.  Straw Hatter, now that you've mentioned how long it took to get around with the 4.5, I will probably save and just get a bigger outboard as well.  I don't want to be switching this boat/motor out in a year.  Thanks again everyone for the info.
TAXI CRAB
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 01:23:40 PM »

Tracker makes a 1542 riveted jon rated for 25hp. I saw em at bass pro yesterday.     

A closed mouth gathers no foot.
TAJcrabs

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 02:13:48 PM »

My buddy has a 14' jon. with a 9.9 hp and we crab out of it all the time. Yes it takes a little longer to get to your spot, but in the grand scheme its not all that different. (i have a 16' legend center console w/ 55hp) enjoy the ride, and the veiw!! we go to IR here in DE and the wye and Pax in MD. THere is also Cox Creek, south river, even parts of the severn are ok for a small boat, just have to be careful and watch whats going on around you. (everyone should do it) Its good for running a line or pulling traps, major advantage is easy trailering and towing. Also good for very shallow water, I agree that a larger boat is better, and more stable and safer, but you have to work with what you can afford, and that would make for a fine crabbing vessel, IMO
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 08:20:56 AM »

nats

look at the second boat in this ad:

http://classifieds.somd.com/cgi-bin/classifieds.cgi?db=e_boats&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=14225&query=retrieval

or this post:  I would offer much less then the asking price  Wink.

http://classifieds.somd.com/cgi-bin/classifieds.cgi?db=e_boats&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=14217&query=retrieval

this is a good site to keep an eye on and boats are always much cheaper in December  Grin

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
hoffmannconstruction

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 10:57:07 PM »

I still like the idea of the 14 footer, because I want this boat to be really easy to handle by myself.  I am going to get a wider model though, because of my wife and also because my dad can't sit for long periods of time.  I want him to be able to safely stand whenever he needs to.  Straw Hatter, now that you've mentioned how long it took to get around with the 4.5, I will probably save and just get a bigger outboard as well.  I don't want to be switching this boat/motor out in a year.  Thanks again everyone for the info.
14' is plenty big for md creeks and rivers. I crabbed for years out of a 1448 polarcraft jon boat with a 9.9 and would run up and down the river in some nasty conditions. I still use a 1448 to run to the duck blind, loaded with 2 guys and a dog and full of decoys. I have a buddy that crabs commercially out of a 14' jon boat and he regularly crabs in the wind and rough water.
chicken-necker

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 11:46:49 AM »

I own a Grumman 4.4(14'4") open utility boat it is double chined with a 60" beam.It is powered by a 20hp short shaft
4 stroke Nissan.It is a little rough riding in a heavy chop but is extremely stable to crab from for up to 3 adults with gear..I purchased this boat in 1980 it has 1/4" rivets and was built to last.Perhaps you could find a used model on the internet in the area.I can tell you if I had to crab or fish from a 14 footer this is the boat. Its easy to launch and is a good creek and river boat drawing little water.And yes it is safe to stand in but I would'nt do any dancing.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:53:16 AM by chicken-necker » Logged

I never met a crab I didn't like.
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 01:37:13 PM »

Cliffs City launch on the Chester is a perfect [lace for that type of boat.
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 01:52:31 PM »

I have a 15' grumman and love it....lol its really stable..love these boats...  im thinkin of installin a stripper pole its so stable...take mine everywhere as long as its not a small craft advisory...Wink been there done that in ocmd....took 2 over the bow and submarined under one..even with water up to my shins and the motor all but underwater...she still limped back to the dock.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 01:54:46 PM by flounderpounder » Logged

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
nats11

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 08:09:02 PM »

It sounds like there are a lot of people out there with 14-15 footers.  I am just waiting around for the right 14 foot jon now.  I will take a trip with the 21 to Cliffs City this season, since I saw a few people mention it above.  Thanks everyone for all the info.  It's exactly what I needed. 
itsslow98

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 05:18:10 AM »

I searched for a couple months waiting to find a deal. I drove 3.5 hrs to get it.

2000 Alumacraft crappie jon, carpeted, two swivel seats, livewell, lights, bow mount trolling motor, trailer, 2001 Mercury 15hp two stroke, anchor and a bunch of accessories. Boat was in excellent condition and the motor has never skipped a beat.

I  paid $2200 for the boat and its by far the best thing ive ever bought. Be patient the deals are definetly out there. I found mine on craigslist.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home