August 01, 2014, 09:52:20 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stone Crab Size & Season?  (Read 5938 times)
BlueSpider 9/7/11

GENESIS 1:20-23

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2011, 09:47:27 PM »

I'm new to crabbing, yet I've done pretty well relatively quickly so far. I've caught (amongst other things) many nice crabs, mainly Blue & Spider. I know it's not yet the legal Stone Crab season in S.W. Florida (as it's closed from 5/16-10/14), yet I've noticed quite a few smaller Stone Crabs right near shore which have peaked my interests in them.

Like I said above, I've caught many other crabs, fish and the like while crabbing, yet still not my 1st Stone Crab. I'm not necessarily looking for huge keeper sized Stone Crabs right now, as I know it would be illegal to take them at this time, but I'd still like to catch some (or even just that first one) right now in my trap for 2 key reasons.

REASON 1: I simply wanna catch my first Stone Crab to know that I can catch them, knowing what bait works best for them (if anything worked differently from catching Blue Crabs to that of Stone Crabs) and be able to prepare for when I get the keeper ones in the hopefully very near future, ya see?

REASON 2: I love nature and would simply love to have a nice, close, live look at another one of God's amazing resources known as the Florida Stone Crab. Period!

Any help from others about the Florida Stone Crab would really be appreciated much. Am I just not catching any right now because they're almost all too small to stay inside the trap or is it something else? Is the bait that's been working well for the Blue Crabs (like various Chicken Parts & Hardhead Seacats) not gonna be successful at catching Stone Crabs? I'd just basically like to know what I should and/or have to do especially in preparation for the next month or 2. Thanks for all the great info my dear crabbing brothers and sisters. Praise the Lord and give thanks for all that He has provided, both land and sea! Amen!

B...asic
I...nstructions
B...efore
L...eaving
E...arth

>>>>- - - - PROVERBS 15:17 - - - ->>>>

PSALM 118:1/24 - "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! His faithful love endures forever."/"This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it."

In Him we have an awesome, glorious God. We can never thank Jesus enough for all that He has provided - EVERYTHING (Crabs & all)! Period!
BlueSpider 9/7/11

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 07:58:11 PM »

Does anybody out there have any tips or plans heading into the upcoming Stone Crab season?

B...asic
I...nstructions
B...efore
L...eaving
E...arth

PSALM 118:1/24 - "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! His faithful love endures forever."/"This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it."

In Him we have an awesome, glorious God. We can never thank Jesus enough for all that He has provided - EVERYTHING (Crabs & all)! Period!
BlueSpider 9/7/11

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 01:49:15 AM »

Boy, I just can't wait for Stone Crab season to come back in. Even still, I'm having alot of fun with the Blue Crab that I've been catching lately. Stone Crab will be a nice new addition though.

B...asic
I...nstructions
B...efore
L...eaving
E...arth

Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 08:11:41 AM »

There's tons of info about catching stone crabs here.    Use the search field to the upper right.

6th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek
June 27, 2015
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com
John WAsmuth

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 08:44:46 PM »

We caught a bunch in the blue crab pots up in Fort Myers back in the early part of July. Using the same bait, fish heads and chicken necks. Of course they were all released but they went in the pots the same as the blues.

Here on the Texas side of the gulf we had the same luck catching them along with blue crab this summer on fish heads and chicken necks, same kind of blue crab pots.

I would think down around Chokoloskee area it would work about the same, although I remember seeing a lot of stone crab traps down there in my youth I can't remember how to build them but we used to catch a lot of blue crab in the area in pots when I was a kid. I sure do miss it down there.
ACFISHERIES

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 09:56:44 PM »

Hard bottom for stone crab until the water gets cold, same bait as for blues in a wire pot, if you're using a plastic or wood stone crab trap(pot) then while the water is warm use a pig foot and let the trap set for 4-5 days.

Good dogs, Rotgut whiskey, All the BS you can stand
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 10:11:57 PM »

Mmmm...   Pig's feet.   You might end up finding me in your trap if you BBQ them before putting them in the bait box...

June 27, 2015
Somers Point, NJ

ACFISHERIES

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 10:10:17 PM »

Mmmm...   Pig's feet.   You might end up finding me in your trap if you BBQ them before putting them in the bait box...
Nah they ain't quite good enough for BBQ, some are still hariy.

Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 09:39:02 PM »

Nair them...

June 27, 2015
Somers Point, NJ

ACFISHERIES

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 10:14:27 PM »

Tongue Tongue laugh

BlueSpider 9/7/11

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 02:31:24 AM »

Hard bottom for stone crab until the water gets cold, same bait as for blues in a wire pot, if you're using a plastic or wood stone crab trap(pot) then while the water is warm use a pig foot and let the trap set for 4-5 days.
4-5 days? I don't mind doin' it that way if I gotta do it, yet I've normally set the trap for about 3 days tops so far. Does it take 3 or more days to really bring the Stoneys in? Now that the water's cooling down (and the legal season's right about here) I really can't wait to catch some Stoneys of size, ya know?

B...asic
I...nstructions
B...efore
L...eaving
E...arth

BlueSpider 9/7/11

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 02:33:22 AM »

Nah they ain't quite good enough for BBQ, some are still hariy.
Stick with the cow tongue...lol!

B...asic
I...nstructions
B...efore
L...eaving
E...arth

ACFISHERIES

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 09:09:12 PM »

Takes a few days for the pigs foot to begin to break down and attract crabs. Here's a tip, bait your traps with grouper or snapper heads the day before a strong cold front pushes thru(drop in barimetric pressure and a strong SW switching to NW wind, 15-25knts). The pressure drop along with mudded water will make the crabs crawl(feed). Good time to bait.

BlueSpider 9/7/11

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 08:21:25 PM »

^ These past few days have been kinda sloppy, muddied waters and rain practically all day too. I'm sure that the muddied waters are really getting stirred up near shore today. If it brings the crabs though, I'm lovin' it...lol! Grin

B...asic
I...nstructions
B...efore
L...eaving
E...arth

ACFISHERIES

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 09:34:16 PM »

^ These past few days have been kinda sloppy, muddied waters and rain practically all day too. I'm sure that the muddied waters are really getting stirred up near shore today. If it brings the crabs though, I'm lovin' it...lol! Grin
It did for me! Wink Grin

BlueSpider 9/7/11

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 07:52:43 PM »

Looks like a good catch there. I've been busy with many various things the past few weeks and haven't gone crabbing unfortunately. Soon enough, I'd love to get back out and (hopefully) catch some nice Stoney's already! Cool
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 07:55:00 PM by BlueSpider 9/7/11 » Logged

B...asic
I...nstructions
B...efore
L...eaving
E...arth

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 07:57:25 PM »

WOW . looks like you had a good catch WTG , thanks for the pictures.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Crabs_R_Yummy

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »

i would love to catch some stone crabs, where are they found

The Blue Claw Reaper
BlueSpider 9/7/11

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 02:04:49 PM »

There's tons of info about catching stone crabs here.    Use the search field to the upper right.
Thanks for the info. I'll try to check it out.

B...asic
I...nstructions
B...efore
L...eaving
E...arth

BlueSpider 9/7/11

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 02:24:14 PM »

We caught a bunch in the blue crab pots up in Fort Myers back in the early part of July. Using the same bait, fish heads and chicken necks. Of course they were all released but they went in the pots the same as the blues.

Here on the Texas side of the gulf we had the same luck catching them along with blue crab this summer on fish heads and chicken necks, same kind of blue crab pots.
The Blue's are fun, but I also really enjoy watching and/or catching other Crabs too...especially the edible one's. By the way, is there any type of fish that works/worked best for you for Stone Crabbing? I'm figuring that people use "food for thought" other than just a basic, old "Hard-Head" Seacat, right? That's probably the easiest to get, since the "Hard-Head" Seacats always seem to take your bait more often than you'd ever want them to... Roll Eyes

B...asic
I...nstructions
B...efore
L...eaving
E...arth

ACFISHERIES

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 06:58:50 PM »

Mullet is good this time of year.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home