April 16, 2014, 12:42:13 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: trotline question?  (Read 2453 times)
rollinrock
Supporting Member

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2011, 11:08:57 AM »

hey guys im from maryland, and i have property in chincateague island. i do a bit of trotlining for crabs here in md. we are allowed twelve hundred feet of baited line. now i understand in va you are allowed three hundred feet of baited line with the apropriate licence. now if i have two licenced trotliners on the boat can i have 600 feet of baited line? can they both be joined together or separate. i looked at the VMRC website, and it is as clear as mudd!!! thank you for your help and guideance, and i allready know that there aint no crabs in VA.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 11:13:31 AM »

I just talked to Jack Travelstead, VMRC Dep. Comm., about this for another member.  You can have multi 300' licenses. You can not join the lines.  The "total" length is 300' not just the baited portion.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 11:19:31 AM »

PS: If you have multi trotline licenses you are still limited to 1 bushel.

rollinrock
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 01:09:05 PM »

so if you have two people with the license can you run two separate 300 foot lines? when you say 300 total feet of line you mean from weight to float to line to weight to float right? or just the portion between floats? im a lil dense sorry, and thank you again for all your help. i really do appreciate it.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 01:22:09 PM »

1 person can have multi licenses. 

Such as... If 1 person buys 5 licenses that person can run 5 300' lines. But still is limited to 1 bushel.

I asked Jack if the length was just the baited portion. His answer was "no".  "The 300 feet is the total length of the line."

Hang on and I'll ask him to explain total length.  Will post his answer here when I get it....... Cool

rollinrock
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 02:12:16 PM »

thank you for taken the time to help me out.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 02:26:48 PM »

here ya go...... Right from the horses mouth... Cool

"Jack,

I checked with our Law Enforcement folks just to be sure. We measure the length as just the portion between floats, and do not include the lengths of leaders.

Jack"

rollinrock
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 04:23:56 PM »

now i get it thank you so much!!! is the boat in the picture yours it is absolutely beautifull. just love those old dead rises. do many peope trot line down there i dont think i have ever seen any one doin it in chincateague? hows about the pokomoke sound do they do it there much? just lookin for a place to do it at down there. get a half a bushell for me and the family to eat i would be tickled pink. aint no sense bein a hog about it dont need a full bushell thats just to many to eat at one time for me and the fam. and usually the fridge is full of beer. lol
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 09:07:21 PM »

LEAVE IT TO VA TO MAKE THINGS DIFFICULT, SEEMES REDICULOUS I CAN HAVE MULTPLE LICENSES AND  200 ' BAITED LINES ON THE BOTTOM JUST NOT TOGETHER
I HAVE 3 LICENSES AND 600' OF BAITED LINE IN 2 SECTIONS, 25' TO THE CHAIN 25' TO THE FLOAT
700 TOTAL
ILL TAKE MY CHANCES WITH THE JUDGE
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 09:05:38 AM »

now i get it thank you so much!!! is the boat in the picture yours it is absolutely beautifull. just love those old dead rises. do many peope trot line down there i dont think i have ever seen any one doin it in chincateague? hows about the pokomoke sound do they do it there much? just lookin for a place to do it at down there. get a half a bushell for me and the family to eat i would be tickled pink. aint no sense bein a hog about it dont need a full bushell thats just to many to eat at one time for me and the fam. and usually the fridge is full of beer. lol
I think it is a pic of the Eldora C.   I know the Crockett family. So used it for my avatar after she disappeared. In 2006 a storm blew in that was unreal.  The weather went from a Sunny day to everything covered in a half inch of ice in minutes. I never saw a storm like it before or since. 3 boats were caught between Crisfield and Tangiers.  The Eldora C just disappeared. They think his oyster dredge broke loose and pulled the boat over on it's side. Filled with water and gone. But she has never been found.

I have only seen 1 trotliner in the PS. Most folks don't hobby crab down here.  They just drop a couple pots or by cheap crabs from neighbors.  Usually you can find crabs for 40 bucks a bushel or free if you know the right folks.

"TANGIER ISLAND Whatever happened to James Donnie Crockett?

Ten months later, no one is sure other than that he likely sleeps in the deep.

Crockett, a 77-year-old Tangier waterman, was fetching one of his many cats home from a vets visit on the mainland March 8 when his 42- foot wooden workboat vanished in a snowy gale on Tangier Sound. Weeks of sea and air searches by professionals, neighbors and Crocketts three sons criss-crossed more than 450 square miles of water and shoreline, but turned up just one life preserver and a handful of orange crab baskets.

Now, nearly a year later, theres still no sign of Crocketts body or his boat, the Eldora C.

Its just really unusual, not to have found something, said Jeff Crockett, no relation, the president of the Tangier Watermens Association. This ones a mystery one thats got us all baffled.

Its made even stranger by the fact that searchers could pinpoint within one square mile exactly where Crockett went down. The captain of another boat, also battling the storm that day, saw the Eldora C. disappear from his radar screen about half-way through the 12-mile run to the island from Crisfield, Md. The blip vanished over an area where the water averages just 15 to 20 feet deep. In those depths, the big, broad Eldora C. with a 12-foot steel mast mounted to its deck should have been relatively simple to find.

Two sonar boats have scoured the area. Crabbers and oyster dredgers have steadily scraped its bottom. Violent storms have roared through a battering that should have broken up a water- logged hull.

We expected to at least see chunks of it coming up by now, Jeff Crockett said. Thats a big boat not to have seen hide nor hair of her.

From the VA Polit 2006"
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:07:31 AM by jack1747 » Logged

rollinrock
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 06:35:49 PM »

wow the weather can be very unforgiving. what a shame sorry to hear about that. if i went over to saxis, and trot lined. do you think any one would look down their noses at me? i dont want to step on any ones toes or get in the way. i just dont want any one to think i am trying to make it harder for them to make a livin off the water. i have friends that make their livin off the water, and i know how hard it can be. thanks for all your help, and taking the time to answer my questions.      dave g
rthomps5

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 05:04:24 PM »

Hi, new to the board and looking to continue the trotline questions here...

Just moved to Norfolk from TX and have been a blue crab fan my whole life (born in MD, lived there 3 separate times).  Haven't run a trot line since I was a kid with my grandfather on Kent Island....but really looking forward to getting back into it up here. 

Just purchased a 300' line and had been under the impression that the season started on March 17....and was starting pretty hot.  Well, I just pulled up the regulations and found mention of the "recreation" season beginning June 1.  However, as I saw it written:
"The season for the Recreational Gear License, up to 5 crab pots, is June 1 through September 15," I am confused as to whether this is for the 5 pots license (which I also bought) or for all recreation crabbing?

Also, I saw on another post that you can use two crab pots from March 17 - late December....but can those two pots be used from my boat?  Or is that supposed to be from a dock?

Any help in clearing this up would be great!

Well, I guess I'll also throw this out there...where in the Norfolk area would be a good spot to run a line?  Would love to get just a few this weekend for my wife and I as we break our boat back in after the winter.

Thanks!

CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 09:43:21 PM »

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!
THE JUNE DATE YOU REFERENCE IS FOR THE 5 POT LICENSE ONLY
ALL THE REGS ARE FOUND HERE
http://www.mrc.virginia.gov/regulations/recfish&crabrules.shtm
2 POTS PER PERSON  (POTS NOT TRAPS)
FIND THE BRACKISH WATER GRANBY STREET ELIZ RIVER AREA
rthomps5

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 06:35:13 AM »

Thanks!

So..."Pots, not traps."  Does this mean I can throw some single traps out there as well as my two pots and a trot line this weekend??

Thats how I read it....
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 06:38:14 AM »

YES 2 POTS PER PERSON, NO LIMIT ON HANDLINES OR "TRAPS", TRAPS ARE CONSIDERED HANDLINES PER VMRC

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home