April 17, 2014, 05:24:08 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Female Crabs Outnumber Males In Bay  (Read 4938 times)
KI Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 12:47:35 PM »

What happens to all those females that don't find a mate?  Will they look somewhere else? We might see those 10" crabs soon, but they will be females.
They would not have time to go in search of. They can only be bred after their final molt between being an immature and a mature female. Once that 15-20 minute window is past, she cannot be bred. I would think it would be a good time to be a male crab in the bay right now! I wonder what the long term ramifications of this will be? Only the strong survive, a lot of the time in nature bigger= stronger. Are we in for a run of super crabs? Or will the lack of available suitors lead to a shallow and defective gene pool? If the male to female ratio gets too low, will this lead to inbreeding? (Sorry DP, it just aint right!!!)
Dreampixels
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 12:59:06 PM »

They would not have time to go in search of. They can only be bred after their final molt between being an immature and a mature female. Once that 15-20 minute window is past, she cannot be bred. I would think it would be a good time to be a male crab in the bay right now! I wonder what the long term ramifications of this will be? Only the strong survive, a lot of the time in nature bigger= stronger. Are we in for a run of super crabs? Or will the lack of available suitors lead to a shallow and defective gene pool? If the male to female ratio gets too low, will this lead to inbreeding? (Sorry DP, it just aint right!!!)

WE of Great Sexual Prowess will find away. Ask Davey's Dog  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan

"Because I walk only in my shoes I enjoy Controversy. It allows me to view the minds and souls of others." Dreampixels

Extremist think "Communication" means agreeing with them. Leo Rosten
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 01:04:20 PM »

I wonder when that is?  Huh  I had a Sook, that never had the opportunity to mate, shed.  I wonder how often this happens?  Huh Do unmated Sooks shed again and again?  Huh  Who knows....

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
KI Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 01:05:46 PM »

WE of Great Sexual Prowess will find away. Ask Davey's Dog  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
Leave it up to you to take puppy love to a whole different level......
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 01:10:47 PM »

I wonder when that is?  Huh  I had a Sook, that never had the opportunity to mate, shed.  I wonder how often this happens?  Huh Do unmated Sooks shed again and again?  Huh  Who knows....

I've only caught a few Sook peelers..Very few of em ever shed, more die during the shedding process, than shed..
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »

Yeah, this one died also....  But it makes one wonder.  We know peelers release pheromones that's what makes them better Rockfish bait then soft crabs.  Maybe a shedding sook doesn't and would not attract a Jimmie. Again, who knows.  Huh

captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 01:16:30 PM »

Jack,    That may happen quite a bit in the Rec Fishery...      Recs can only keep the male from the doubler and release the female peeler here in MD...     That brings up the question,  should both the males & female (doubler) be returned to breed???

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!
KI Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 01:18:26 PM »

I have never seen a hard sook doubled up. I have never heard of a sook molting before either.....If the male is not present when she is soft, she is SOL if she wants to have youngins. How do you know that the sook that you had, that tried to shed, didn't have a chance to mate? Did you have her in captivity during her molt to maturity?
Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012, 01:18:59 PM »

Yeah, this one died also....  But it makes one wonder.  We know peelers release pheromones that's what makes them better Rockfish bait then soft crabs.  Maybe a shedding sook doesn't and would not attract a Jimmie. Again, who knows.  Huh

The crab!

CATCH SHARES, Nothing more than PRIVITIZING a PUBLIC RESOURCE.
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

QUEEN CHARLOTTE ISLANDS, BC CANADA

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2012, 01:21:03 PM »

Question:   I've caught doublers that were both males.....were they both trying to just feed on the  same  bait,  or were they shall we say, "confused"  ?

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012, 01:22:40 PM »

I have never seen a hard sook doubled up. I have never heard of a sook molting before either.....If the male is not present when she is soft, she is SOL if she wants to have youngins. How do you know that the sook that you had, that tried to shed, didn't have a chance to mate? Did you have her in captivity during her molt to maturity?
http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php/topic,39119.0.html

I had her from the time she was the size of a dime.

Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 03:28:38 PM »

Jack, that's a pretty good question. I don't believe very many females went unmated in the past, but with the projected unbalance in the male/female ratio that's probably going to change. Most of our intell about female spawning/mating actually came from the now defunct COMBS project. I don't believe the possibility of unmated females continuing to shed and possibly mate later was ever considered. A good subject for a later study - like we need more studies!
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 07:30:07 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 09:21:45 PM by mdjohn » Logged
Islander
Lifetime Member

"Life is simple, its just not easy."

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2012, 09:21:03 PM »

I never saw where the "Study" was made, that could make a BIG Difference in the ratio of Females to Males....Never trust a Study Group being funded my Taxpayer Money....They're all working for Job security... Wink

stupid 

Big Liar

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2012, 10:43:45 AM »

It's funny it took a study to come to this conclusion.  I could have told them the same thing over 6 months ago for free.  I caught more doublers all year long last year. (trotlining)  We never had the big run of big Jimmy's in the fall and we were already blaming it on the number of female peelers.  Males don't feed nearly as much when they are doubled up.  When most of your catch of #1 come from doublers, you contribute it to a shed.  This normally happens maybe 1 week out of 5.  We had months of shed last year.

Just one of the few bad apples that keeps wizzing in the MSSA's and TF's milk.  Not because I have violations (because I don't'), but because I'm catching the resources that they claim to own and have more rights to.
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2012, 02:21:19 PM »

I was told on this site that females mate more then once.  Maybe i will find out for sure today when the book beautiful swimmers arrives.

"Beautiful Swimmers" is a great read. My favorite Chapter is "Lester Lee and the Chicken Neckers", mostly because I've dealt with his family for over 30 years for bait, etc., and the trotline lay he describes in the book is just around the point from my house. Keep in mind that the book was written in 1976 and we have found significantly more scientific info about crabs in the last couple of years.
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2012, 01:43:12 PM »

Leave it up to you to take puppy love to a whole different level......

Man why must you guys always make a dig at the ole dog....... laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

we are talking about male to female crab ratio's... good grief........   I saw the story on channel 11 WBAL last week......it was greated with huge fanfare, but should it......? 

MD / PA Line
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2012, 02:04:11 PM »

I'm sure it'll all even out. If there get to be too many females they can always ease the catch restrictions. I'd rather have too many of everything then not enough.
Blu-Claw Hunter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2012, 09:10:42 PM »

15-20min? .... read   http://www.bluecrab.info/mating. for the whole story.

We need more large Males to produce more crabs ie.... love juce, not more mates per jimmie. It takes a month to replentish ......

Later BC-H

"When the going gets tough, we keep going," till the next tide"

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home