November 28, 2014, 09:13:46 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Florida Recreational Crabbing Regulations  (Read 8475 times)
SkipJack

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2012, 09:34:12 AM »

I have read the Florida recreational crabbing regulations so many times.  I always came away wondering if the gear regulations pertain to recreational crabbers that actively fish "FOLDING" or "TOPLESS" type traps less than one cubic foot in volume.  They seem to apply to recreational crabbers that use "Commercial-Like" gear.  (Larger traps that remain in the water overnight)  My main point of contention was the limit of five traps per licensed fishermen.  I dont know if the language was left intentionally vague for some reason.  I made six Topless traps but only take five when I go crabbing by myself for fear of how a conservation officer would interpret it.

So I sent the Ask FWC helpdesk the following question and received the response below:

Customer By Web Form    02/20/2012 03:18 PM
Subject:  How many recreational FOLD-UP crab traps can I fish?

I have a saltwater recreational fishing license.  I fish FOLDING recreational crab traps from my boat for Blue crab.  I have read the regulations several times.  The five-trap limit per person seems to apply only to recreational crabbers with commercial-like gear.  It DOES NOT seem to apply to recreational folding traps that are less than a cubic foot in volume.  Am I limited to using only five folding traps?  Please clarify this for me.

Thank you for contacting the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The response to your concerns appears below.

Subject:  How many recreational FOLD-UP crab traps can I fish?
Response Via Email (OED-LP-EW)   02/21/2012 12:04 PM

The five trap limit only applies to commercial type traps. There is no limit on the number of folding traps that can be used.

Further, I doubt that the requirements regarding a float with an R and the crabbers name and address on each trap pertains to folding traps either.  But Ive already made the commitment to those two aspects so I did not ask that question.  I make my own Topless Traps and bought 20 metal dog tags that I affix to each trap with plastic zip-ties.  I plan to make four more traps this weekend.
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:16:45 PM »

If the cops in Fl are anything like Maryland, I would advise you to keep a copy of that letter with you while you are crabbing. Could save you a lot of hassle if the wrong cop stops you.
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 09:09:10 AM »

Good advice.

6th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek
June 27, 2015
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com
rapp414

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »

I crabbed in Fla 2 weeks ago with a commercial crabber and he told me 5 traps of any type.It didn't make sense to me,but he also told me no trotlines.I looked that up. and found him to be wrong.I hope he's wrong on the pot regs too,as I plan to go back next year and hope to rent a boat and do some crabbing on my own
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 08:58:59 AM »

I crabbed in Fla 2 weeks ago with a commercial crabber and he told me 5 traps of any type.It didn't make sense to me,but he also told me no trotlines.I looked that up. and found him to be wrong.I hope he's wrong on the pot regs too,as I plan to go back next year and hope to rent a boat and do some crabbing on my own

what area were you in ?

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
rapp414

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 04:46:53 PM »

Near Ft Meyers Beach,Flounder.Crabbed with a guy from here,in the river that runs from east to west,I can't remember the name of it,but it stunk,caught some nice sized crabs though
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 07:12:08 PM »

Near Ft Meyers Beach,Flounder.Crabbed with a guy from here,in the river that runs from east to west,I can't remember the name of it,but it stunk,caught some nice sized crabs though

shellfish ?

rapp414

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 07:32:27 PM »

Do you mean the guy I crabbed with ?
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 07:32:45 PM »

yeah

rapp414

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »

No Capt Rob,he's a commercial crabber,he takes people out from time to time,charges like $75 guarentess you 3 dozen crabs.He's a nice guy,I enjoyed talking to him.The crabbing was tough though,it's all pots and he hand pulls them,and the River is so infested with plant life ,he needs to powerwash the pots once a week,they were tough pulling
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home